News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy_wilhelm

A design-build contract for the US 70 James City improvements was awarded this week. The next section of the I-26 widening to US 64 in Hendersonville was also let this week, but doesn't appear to be awarded yet.

LM117

Due to the I-440 project in Raleigh, the Melbourne Road bridge will close for a year, beginning next Monday.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-23-i-440-melbourne-rd-closures.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on September 20, 2019, 09:01:28 PM
Beginning next Wednesday, the southbound lanes of US-17 in Wilmington between Gordon Road and Station Road will close for 8 weeks.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-20-us-17-traffic-shift.aspx

NCDOT has issued a correction. The road will not close, but there will be a traffic shift.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-23-us-17-traffic-shift-correction.aspx

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on September 23, 2019, 06:53:43 PM
Quote from: LM117 on September 20, 2019, 09:01:28 PM
Beginning next Wednesday, the southbound lanes of US-17 in Wilmington between Gordon Road and Station Road will close for 8 weeks.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-20-us-17-traffic-shift.aspx

NCDOT has issued a correction. The road will not close, but there will be a traffic shift.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-23-us-17-traffic-shift-correction.aspx
I was about to say... a closure on a major arterial for 8 weeks?

froggie

Not unheard of.  Rural arterials in the Upper Midwest routinely get shut down for several weeks during the summer road construction season.  On multilane routes, they'll often do 2-lane/2-way traffic on one carriageway while the other is being rebuilt.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on September 23, 2019, 07:52:38 PM
Not unheard of.  Rural arterials in the Upper Midwest routinely get shut down for several weeks during the summer road construction season.  On multilane routes, they'll often do 2-lane/2-way traffic on one carriageway while the other is being rebuilt.
The referenced segment of US-17 is an urban arterial in Wilmington, not a rural arterial.

froggie

A number of those that have seen multi-month shutdowns as well.  MN 36 and I-40 Knoxville being two notable examples.

LM117

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 21, 2019, 10:49:31 AMThe next section of the I-26 widening to US 64 in Hendersonville was also let this week, but doesn't appear to be awarded yet.

Press release regarding this:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-24-i26-widening-henderson-bids-opened.aspx

sprjus4

A couple of weeks old, but still interesting...

Must I-95, I-40 always flood after big hurricanes? NCDOT looks for ways to prevent it
QuoteTwice in the last three years, flooding caused by hurricanes has shut down Eastern North Carolina's major interstate highways, I-40 and I-95, for days at a time, hampering relief efforts and the flow of people and commerce up and down the East Coast.

Now the N.C. Department of Transportation has developed a set of strategies that might keep those roads open after future storms, at a potential cost of hundreds of millions of dollars.

The strategies generally involve lengthening bridges, improving drainage and elevating the highways in areas prone to flooding. They're presented as a set of options that in the case of I-40 could involve making alternative routes such as U.S. 421 and U.S. 117 less vulnerable to floods in conjunction with changes to the interstate.

Secretary of Transportation Jim Trogdon commissioned the I-95/I-40 Flood Resilience Feasibility Study after Hurricane Florence dropped record amounts of rain on Eastern North Carolina last year, just two years after Hurricane Matthew. Both storms rivaled Hurricane Floyd in 1999, which caused historic flooding that people never expected to see again.

Citing the Fourth National Climate Assessment, released by the Trump administration last fall, the NCDOT report notes that scientists have measured an increase in rainfall from severe storms over the last century and predict climate change will make hurricanes both more common and intense, "meaning storms like Hurricane Matthew and Florence may become more frequent."

Both storms closed I-95 and I-40 for a week or more. For several days after Florence, all roads leading into Wilmington, including I-40, were closed because of flooding, prompting the state to consider bringing in supplies by ship.

SEVERAL OPTIONS
The NCDOT study was done by the Durham office of Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions and looked at options for improving both the interstate highways and alternate routes. But in the case of I-95, the study concluded there were no viable alternatives, because the parallel roads are equally or more likely to flood.

Instead, the study identifies ways that four sections of I-95 in southeastern North Carolina could be made less prone to flooding. It estimates that longer bridges, better drainage and elevating the highway would cost nearly $320 million if done on their own. But in conjunction with other road projects, such as the planned widening of I-95 in the coming years, the cost would come down to $127.5 million.

The study lays out seven options for improving I-40 or alternate routes. Making I-40 itself less prone to flooding, mostly by elevating the roadway or building new earthen embankments in several places, would cost an estimated $169.5 million.

Two options that entail making some changes to I-40 along with improvements to parallel U.S. 117 would be cheaper, at about $51.5 million each. Other options, such as improving N.C. 24 and U.S. 17 or widening U.S. 701 and U.S. 421, would cost significantly more than reducing the risk of flooding on I-40.

Finally, the study also identifies options for improving N.C. 24 between I-95 near Fayetteville and I-40 near Warsaw.

That road is a four-lane divided highway for most of that route, and improvements there could help it serve as a key connector between the two interstates during floods, the report says. The options range from elevating the highway and building a new bridge at Six Runs Creek east of Clinton for $62.6 million to turning the road into a limited-access freeway for $1.2 billion.

The NCDOT report is dated Aug. 28, but spokesman Steve Abbott says it will be updated as time goes on and referred to as the department plans road projects in the future. For now, NCDOT has delayed hundreds of construction projects across the state because of financial problems caused in part by the cleanup and repairs after Matthew and Florence.
This one surprised me...

Quoteimproving N.C. 24 between I-95 near Fayetteville and I-40 near Warsaw. <snip>
The options range from <snip> to turning the road into a limited-access freeway for $1.2 billion.

Such a project would upgrade about 40 miles of roadway to interstate standards, roughly $29 million per mile. Interestingly, just in the past 1-2 years, a project was completed that widened 25 miles of the road between Fayetteville and Clinton to a four-lane divided highway and 5 new location segments (albeit not freeway standard) around more developed areas / towns. It safe to assume that a freeway upgrade would utilize a majority of the existing carriageways and simply construct frontage roads, interchanges, and overpasses where needed. The segment between Clinton and I-40 however is still 2-lane roadway and would either upgrade the existing road to a four-lane freeway with frontage roads or new location.

Overall, interesting. I've never heard any proposals for a freeway between I-40 and I-95 along NC-24 until this article. I would say a four-lane connection as is would suffice, especially considering you can already drive an all-freeway routing between the two end points - I-95 to I-40 and vice versa. Travel time is similar, the only thing you save taking NC-24 is ~20 miles - a wash IMO considering 65 mph and 70 mph on the freeway routing, and 55 mph maximum on NC-24.

I would argue that a $1.2 billion freeway project would be better spent on the 40 miles of NC-24 between I-40 and Jacksonville, a route that has more traffic (9,000 - 20,000 AADT) than between I-95 and I-40 (5,000 - 6,000 AADT), and the fact that Jacksonville is the largest city in the state lacking a freeway connection, and one of the largest without interstate access.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 25, 2019, 05:14:40 PM
The segment between Clinton and I-40 however is still 2-lane roadway and would either upgrade the existing road to a four-lane freeway with frontage roads or new location.

IIRC, NCDOT has plans for this section on a totally new alignment, starting from the current southern end of the US 421 freeway bypass and heading east to I-40. I don't know if it's planned to be built to freeway standard or just limited access, but I did find the preliminary plans somewhere for the first section of this closest to Clinton.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 25, 2019, 05:23:16 PM
The segment between Clinton and I-40 however is still 2-lane roadway and would either upgrade the existing road to a four-lane freeway with frontage roads or new location.

IIRC, NCDOT has plans for this section on a totally new alignment, starting from the current southern end of the US 421 freeway bypass and heading east to I-40. I don't know if it's planned to be built to freeway standard or just limited access, but I did find the preliminary plans somewhere for the first section of this closest to Clinton.
Looking at it from a four-lane arterial perspective, probably the best option. Utilizes the existing bypass, then new location roadway over to I-40. It could tie back into NC-24 near Turkey also, then widen the rest of the way to 4-lanes.

Ideally, a bypass for NC-24 should start just east of Bonnetsville to bypass the urban segment before the existing bypass, but again, looking from a four-lane arterial perspective with low thru traffic counts, and most traffic likely originating / destined to/from Clinton, and a routing with a full-freeway option (I-95 to I-40) available for long-distance travelers from points east of I-95 or from I-95 itself to points west of I-40 or to I-40 itself, and vice versa, it's probably not a priority to go around that.

The whole concept of making NC-24 into a four-lane arterial highway seems mostly to provide better access between the interstates for local traffic originating / destined to/from Clinton rather than thru traffic utilizing the corridor between I-95 and I-40.

Beltway

Twice in the last three years, flooding caused by hurricanes has shut down Eastern North Carolina's major interstate highways, I-40 and I-95, for days at a time, hampering relief efforts and the flow of people and commerce up and down the East Coast.
Given 10 to 15 inches of rainfall in 24 to 48 hours, very few low-lying highways won't flood.

I-95 in Richmond has flooded 3 times that I am aware of, due to James River flooding, at the low-lying section at the Maury Street interchange.  In 1969 (Camille remnants), in 1972 (Agnes remnants), and in 1985 (Juan remnants).

1985 --
"By November 7, a day after the rain had ended, the James River crested at 30.76 feet at City Locks in Richmond.  'This really was the last major flood in metro Richmond before the flood wall was constructed,' 8News Chief Meteorologist John Bernier recalls."
https://www.wric.com/news/remembering-the-election-day-flood-of-1985/

In 1969 and in 1972 there was no alternative route thru the Richmond area other than US-1.  Today there are freeway routes: I-295, Route 895, and the routing of I-195, VA-76 and VA-150.

I used the last route while I-95 was closed in 1985 and it was strange to see Interstate levels of large truck traffic on I-195, VA-76 and VA-150.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

wdcrft63

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 25, 2019, 05:33:38 PM

Looking at it from a four-lane arterial perspective, probably the best option. Utilizes the existing bypass, then new location roadway over to I-40. It could tie back into NC-24 near Turkey also, then widen the rest of the way to 4-lanes.

Ideally, a bypass for NC-24 should start just east of Bonnetsville to bypass the urban segment before the existing bypass, but again, looking from a four-lane arterial perspective with low thru traffic counts, and most traffic likely originating / destined to/from Clinton, and a routing with a full-freeway option (I-95 to I-40) available for long-distance travelers from points east of I-95 or from I-95 itself to points west of I-40 or to I-40 itself, and vice versa, it's probably not a priority to go around that.

The whole concept of making NC-24 into a four-lane arterial highway seems mostly to provide better access between the interstates for local traffic originating / destined to/from Clinton rather than thru traffic utilizing the corridor between I-95 and I-40.
I agree and I don't think there's any support for making NC 24 a freeway. NC 24 from Morehead City to Fayetteville followed by NC 27 from Fayetteville to Charlotte is a significant arterial highway crossing much of the state. It's a really  old-fashioned idea, but it would make a good US numbered highway, such as US 274.

sprjus4

Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 25, 2019, 06:35:25 PM

I agree and I don't think there's any support for making NC 24 a freeway. NC 24 from Morehead City to Fayetteville followed by NC 27 from Fayetteville to Charlotte is a significant arterial highway crossing much of the state. It's a really  old-fashioned idea, but it would make a good US numbered highway, such as US 274.
I agree, and a freeway is pointless along most of the routing mostly due to the fact long-distance has freeway options that are similar travel times to the arterial.

Fayetteville to Charlotte has I-95 and US-74, which while isn't freeway, is planned to be. Fayetteville to Warsaw has I-95 and I-40, and Charlotte to Warsaw has either I-40, I-95, and US-74 (see above comment), and also I-40 to I-85, all similar travel times to the arterial.

I will say again though, the only stretch that should be a reasonable candidate for freeway is I-40 to Jacksonville - the only portion of the 24/27 corridor not supplemented by a freeway for long-distance.

Just don't tell Fritz all this.

X99

Quote from: froggie on September 23, 2019, 07:52:38 PM
Several weeks? It seems like I-90 in South Dakota between Kadoka and Belvidere has been closed and under construction for years!
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on September 25, 2019, 06:09:35 PM
Twice in the last three years, flooding caused by hurricanes has shut down Eastern North Carolina's major interstate highways, I-40 and I-95, for days at a time, hampering relief efforts and the flow of people and commerce up and down the East Coast.
Given 10 to 15 inches of rainfall in 24 to 48 hours, very few low-lying highways won't flood.

I-95 in Richmond has flooded 3 times that I am aware of, due to James River flooding, at the low-lying section at the Maury Street interchange.  In 1969 (Camille remnants), in 1972 (Agnes remnants), and in 1985 (Juan remnants).

1985 --
"By November 7, a day after the rain had ended, the James River crested at 30.76 feet at City Locks in Richmond.  'This really was the last major flood in metro Richmond before the flood wall was constructed,' 8News Chief Meteorologist John Bernier recalls."
https://www.wric.com/news/remembering-the-election-day-flood-of-1985/

In 1969 and in 1972 there was no alternative route thru the Richmond area other than US-1.  Today there are freeway routes: I-295, Route 895, and the routing of I-195, VA-76 and VA-150.

I used the last route while I-95 was closed in 1985 and it was strange to see Interstate levels of large truck traffic on I-195, VA-76 and VA-150.
Climate change!

Beltway

Hurricane cycles haven't changed, just that there are a lot more people and development in flood prone areas.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on September 25, 2019, 09:19:27 PM
Hurricane cycles haven't changed, just that there are a lot more people and development in flood prone areas.
Exactly.

Mr. ENC

I think the biggest reason that NCDOT is trying to make 24 a multi-lane a highway is because 24 serves both Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg.

LM117

sprjus4

Quote from: Mr. ENC on September 26, 2019, 09:22:55 AM
I think the biggest reason that NCDOT is trying to make 24 a multi-lane a highway is because 24 serves both Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg.
I-95 > I-40 > NC-24.

Already a four-lane connection with similar travel times to NC-24 straight across connecting the endpoints.

The main goal with widening NC-24 was probably focused more on traffic bound to Clinton and the communities on that route, rather than thru-traffic that already has an adequate interstate highway connection.

They need to focus on upgrading NC-24 between I-40 and Jacksonville to freeway standards, designate it as an I-x40. That would provide a full interstate-highway connection between the two bases, and also provide Camp Lejeune & Jacksonville direct access to I-40 and I-95.

wdcrft63

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 25, 2019, 09:31:28 PM
Exactly.
I agree in general, but one thing seems to have changed: hurricanes are carrying more rain and can produce larger fresh water floods than in the past.

Beltway

Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 26, 2019, 06:21:50 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 25, 2019, 09:31:28 PM
Exactly.
I agree in general, but one thing seems to have changed: hurricanes are carrying more rain and can produce larger fresh water floods than in the past.

No they are not, not over the long term.  Hurricanes operate in about 24-year cycles.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

LM117

Greensboro is pushing to have US-421 between the city and I-95 become a future interstate.

http://www.rhinotimes.com/news/gate-city-headed-for-another-interstate-highway/

Roadsguy

Quote from: LM117 on September 27, 2019, 06:02:17 AM
Greensboro is pushing to have US-421 between the city and I-95 become a future interstate.

http://www.rhinotimes.com/news/gate-city-headed-for-another-interstate-highway/

I really that if this ever goes anywhere, they don't just upgrade 421 from Sanford to Dunn. Any interstate leaving Greensboro down 421 should go to Fayetteville via NC 87 and connect to the recently-upgraded NC 87/210 expressway at Fort Bragg.

I-38? :sombrero:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.