News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I can understand why the put up Iselin on supplemental signs and signing it for 3 exits because I used to work at Prudential on S. Wood Avenue and it was addressed in Iselin as so are the other offices along S. Wood Avenue.  Many visitors frequent the companies as corporate executives from the home office someplace else, or clients so that is understandable to have now.

What gets me is now the control cities are not using the Downtown as the point for it, but are now taking in the city/town/area limits as we as citizens have evolved into something different from what we once were.  Not being negative about us as humans, but just pointing out that our demands have been changing over time, so now must signs on the roads catch up with us.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

NJTA or NJDOT took down the new carbon copy signs on the Exit 129 southbound service road at New Brunswick Ave. that showed NJ-440 EAST/WEST. Hopefully they get a correction. Also, NJDOT finally re-striped US-9 south there with an auxiliary lane from the end of the service road to the Exit for NJ-440 South/Riverside Ave. (another replacement sign with a now incorrect street name!).

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 14, 2014, 03:58:07 PM
NJTA or NJDOT took down the new carbon copy signs on the Exit 129 southbound service road at New Brunswick Ave. that showed NJ-440 EAST/WEST. Hopefully they get a correction. Also, NJDOT finally re-striped US-9 south there with an auxiliary lane from the end of the service road to the Exit for NJ-440 South/Riverside Ave. (another replacement sign with a now incorrect street name!).
Oh yeah, what does it say now?  Did they move the I-287 shield to the US 9 South guide finally as well?
I take that they still use "Industrial Avenue" then?

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 14, 2014, 03:58:07 PM

That was a long time coming. They replaced those signs in like 1998 or so.

J Route Z

These signs need to be corrected to read 440 north and 440 south: http://goo.gl/maps/xSgj8

storm2k

Quote from: J Route Z on November 16, 2014, 11:23:40 PM
These signs need to be corrected to read 440 north and 440 south: http://goo.gl/maps/xSgj8

If I read what NJRoadFan said correctly, that should be happening. I say should without any certainty, because NJTA isn't always known to make sure that legends are updated when signs are replaced. This is why we still have signs for 440 East on the circle ramp at Exit 10.

NJRoadfan

Those signs are the ones that went missing, they were put up about 2-3 years ago to replace the old NJHA ones from who knows how long ago (see below for a 2001 shot). Besides saying East/West, the left sign should be SOUTH 9 TO 440. Replacement is likely part of the larger signing project from 129 to 140 although no other signs (mainly the NJTP ramp signs on that service road) have been touched yet.

The other carbon copy replacement is at the exit ramp and was replaced around the same time, one reason why I suspect the above sign was replaced by NJDOT (its also on a NJDOT style gantry that matches the rest of the tangle). http://goo.gl/maps/JbUvE

It should say "Riverside Dr." as the road was renamed before that sign was replaced. The actual split got the correct name though and it looks like the signs were put in back in 2010. http://goo.gl/maps/0Rnfe

J Route Z

Quote from: storm2k on November 16, 2014, 11:46:21 PM

If I read what NJRoadFan said correctly, that should be happening. I say should without any certainty, because NJTA isn't always known to make sure that legends are updated when signs are replaced. This is why we still have signs for 440 East on the circle ramp at Exit 10.

Ah, true. I have yet to go up there to check it out. What's funny is, Rt 440 runs more east-west, than north-south, especially on the NJ side. I-287 is more north-south, anyhow.

storm2k

Quote from: J Route Z on November 17, 2014, 12:18:51 AM
Quote from: storm2k on November 16, 2014, 11:46:21 PM

Ah, true. I have yet to go up there to check it out. What's funny is, Rt 440 runs more east-west, than north-south, especially on the NJ side. I-287 is more north-south, anyhow.

They made it N-S so that it matched up both with NY440 and the northern section of NJ 440 in Bayonne, so you have one stretch of N-S road all the way through Middlesex County, SI NY, and Hudson County. It's also why you have the weird thing of 287 Southbound becoming 440 Northbound at the Turnpike.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5794095,-74.4574375,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAAJERcmQ6V10KYduUASdCw!2e0 I was noticing this here when cruising GSV.  I see "Tuckerton" is now a control city for US 9 North at Exit 50 instead of Batso Village.  In addition I see "Toms River" is control city for the GSP pull through over Newark or New York at this location.

However, nice job they did here on replacing the overpass and with the signage on overheads here.  This image was prior to the construction complete, as the lanes are still shifted on to the shoulders, but still nice job they did.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

I noticed that on the NB C/D lanes at 98, the overhead BGS just before the on-ramp tolls appears to have eliminated text that indicated it as a toll road (or that the toll barrier was just ahead - can't recall exactly) just under the text "Parkway North".  The old text appears on the GSV here but is almost impossible to read:
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.17143,-74.098309&spn=0.000008,0.004866&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=40.17152,-74.099317&panoid=CWMC9J4cMJmZhFhyaWNyUA&cbp=12,51.51,,0,1.88
The current text can be seen from the NJ 138 overpass here:
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.170567,-74.098926&spn=0.000004,0.002433&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.170569,-74.09907&panoid=htkxDWkJKPc8-iTtnmz1kw&cbp=12,357.28,,0,7.74
I don't recall the exact text, but I'm not sure why they would eliminate this from the sign unless it specifically called out the toll price at the time (was $0.25, but I believe is now $0.50 - never know anymore with EZPass....).  Although anyone on the C/D lanes would have had to pass a standard GSP entrance sign with 'toll road' indicated, it was at least a good heads up that you were coming up on the booths.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadrunner75

Well that resolves that...  Guess I should've checked the photos on this same site.  They could've blanked out the '25c' for a more informative, if more stupid looking sign.

Alps

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on November 19, 2014, 01:20:50 AM
Well that resolves that...  Guess I should've checked the photos on this same site.  They could've blanked out the '25c' for a more informative, if more stupid looking sign.

They did that on the previous sign, which I just discovered is not yet uploaded.

roadman65

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on November 19, 2014, 01:20:50 AM

Not only is the GSP doing this, but many signs on Florida's many toll roads have been covering up the price of the tolls as well.   With everything going to electronic tolling, the price now is irrelevant in most minds.

Plus the constant rate increases, which now more than ever seem to take place, many toll road agencies do not want to keep hiring a crew to keep greening out a sign every other month or so.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

When I passed under the sign yesterday that was referenced in my earlier post, I could see that there is still a blanked out portion under "Parkway North", even though I think the current BGS is newer than the original one shown in the photo with the toll price (it now has the yellow "Only" section at the bottom rather than the arrows).  I think when they first put up this newer sign there was just "Toll Road" text which is now blanked out.  I remember passing it one day and thinking "Why would they bother blanking that out?".

roadman65

Who knows with that one.  I like the one where they fail to mention that Wood Avenue in Iselin is DEAD END for truckers as it terminates at the trumpet of former Exit 131A.  I have seen so many 18 wheelers make u turns because it comes as a surprise to the drivers that Wood Avenue splits into two ramps for the GSP that prohibits trucks on it.   At Thornall Street, the last major intersection a sign should be placed saying LOCAL TRUCKS ONLY and at about 1000 feet before the end of Wood Avenue another sign should be placed saying LAST TURN FOR TRUCKS and also LAST TURN BEFORE PARKWAY for cars who, I am sure accidentally, end up on the Parkway because who would think a local street would default onto a toll road.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

Ah, yes - Metro Park.  That does abruptly dump you onto the GSP.  They really do need a sign - a big sign - telling you that you are GSP bound beyond the light.  At least something like this:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.287321,-74.078158&spn=0.000002,0.001328&cbll=40.287275,-74.078513&layer=c&panoid=LkzU7JzrkX-cHGo-BbL4mQ&cbp=12,236.7,,0,0&t=h&z=20

Zeffy

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on November 20, 2014, 01:22:37 PM
Ah, yes - Metro Park.  That does abruptly dump you onto the GSP.  They really do need a sign - a big sign - telling you that you are GSP bound beyond the light.  At least something like this:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.287321,-74.078158&spn=0.000002,0.001328&cbll=40.287275,-74.078513&layer=c&panoid=LkzU7JzrkX-cHGo-BbL4mQ&cbp=12,236.7,,0,0&t=h&z=20

Yeah, what's the deal with 649 just dumping you onto the GSP once you're past the intersection with Hilton? I was following the road from the light with NJ 27 and there isn't even a hint of signage that suggests the GSP is straight ahead.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

Quote from: Zeffy on November 20, 2014, 04:02:17 PM

Yeah, what's the deal with 649 just dumping you onto the GSP once you're past the intersection with Hilton? I was following the road from the light with NJ 27 and there isn't even a hint of signage that suggests the GSP is straight ahead.
I have worked at Prudential back in the late 80's, which is right across a street from Hilton, and I have seen many tractor trailers making 4 point k turns to turn around because the lack of signage informing motorist that the road ends and defaults onto two freeway ramps that excludes trucks.

I am glad that I am not the only one to notice this mistake.  It should be marked at the Thornall Street intersection NO THRU TRUCKS and then just before the Hilton and Prudential Drives a LAST TURN FOR TRUCKS and post intersection maybe on overhead saying PARKWAY ONLY!

Also, I was noticing that on GSV at NB Exit 144 there is no guide sign for that exit.  Only the gore point exit sign and a 3/4 mile guide on the Madison Avenue Bridge prior to the ramp.  If the GSP can goof this one up, as guide signs are supposed to be at each exit as well as in advance, they can screw up things like this for Wood Avenue which is Middlesex County and not even their own roadway.

Middlesex County, is also the blame here, as they should be the ones to install signs along Wood Avenue as the GSP cannot do all of their dirty work.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Before clicking the link, I said, "If that's not Exit 105, I'll post that in response."

roadman65

I just watched a new youtube video of the modified Exit 89 which takes motorists to the now defunct Exit 88 as well via a long service road.   However it is marked Exits 89 C-B and a covered A (for the completed EB cloverleaf) which is very interesting.  More so than the 131 saga is and the 140 sign coverup is this here, as we are now seeing a system wide change for exit numbers in the works.
http://patch.com/new-jersey/manchester-nj/parkway-exit-88-may-be-gone-89-will-still-get-you-manchesters-route-70-villages 

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

So NJ.com has a gallery about old snow storms in NJ, and it includes this gem of a Parkway sign:

It looks like the CR-520 shield was attached after the fact. Wonder if it's covering a different shield.

02 Park Ave

storm2k:  Now that's a Parkway sign!  Thanks.😊
C-o-H

SidS1045

Quote from: storm2k on January 03, 2015, 09:44:19 AM
So NJ.com has a gallery about old snow storms in NJ, and it includes this gem of a Parkway sign:

It looks like the CR-520 shield was attached after the fact. Wonder if it's covering a different shield.

I took that exit many times to visit my aunt, uncle and cousins in Little Silver.  I believe the original shield was a plain black-on-white rectangle:

MONMOUTH
  COUNTY
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.