News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Finally had a chance to go by 140 yesterday to see the new signs. It's now 140B-A southbound. 140A is now 140B and 140 is now 140A. It looks like reused one of the 1980 cantilevers from the sign replacements to put up a sign for 140A. Will try to grab pictures at some point.

storm2k

Also, these signs were replaced even though they only date from the 142 construction in 2009.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on August 05, 2015, 09:48:13 PM
Also, these signs were replaced even though they only date from the 142 construction in 2009.
I hope they finally remove Morristown as that is been copied over from the pre I-78/ NJ 24 days.  They need to have it on a supplemental guide for Exit 142 and remove Springfield for Clinton and move Springfield to Exit 140A (former 140) for NJ 82 WB.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CrystalWalrein

Exit 44 northbound is now open. The signs now reference both CR 561 Alternate and CR 575 (the old ones for southbound only reference the latter).

roadman65

I saw the drawings for the guide signs and it uses Port Republic and Smithville as control cities unlike the Southbound side that always used Pomona.  Also in the past no routes were used at SB Exit 44.  Just Pomona was only signed with no road names or route numbers at all.  So consider it something that only CR 575 is being used now.

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/Public-Info-Center-handout-41-44-August-2012.pdf

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Expect new signs soon on the local-express section of the GSP, and along the Bergen and Passaic County sections. They also put up a fancy new "Welcome to NJ and the GSP" sign at the NY border.

In other news, the construction at Exit 163 for eliminating the left hand NJ-17 exits is quite impressive. They are constructing an entirely new mainline for the Parkway in the median.

SignBridge

Good to see them eliminating left-exits where possible. Left-exits in general are bad idea and should be kept to a minimum. Notice that the New Jersey Turnpike, which is probably about the best engineered highway in the country, has only right exits, by intent.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on August 25, 2015, 08:07:59 PM
Good to see them eliminating left-exits where possible. Left-exits in general are bad idea and should be kept to a minimum. Notice that the New Jersey Turnpike, which is probably about the best engineered highway in the country, has only right exits, by intent.

And the Turnpike has gone out of its way, at great expense, to do that.  It would be a lot cheaper just to combine ramps so that one roadway exits/enters on the right, and the other on the left, so that they use the same ramp structure.  But the Turnpike philosophy has always been to built all entrances & exits on the right.  In today's age of GPS equipment and online directions, it would be crucial to know if a motorist was using the inner roadway or outer roadway if the ramps differed based on the roadway.  As all exits are on the right, it doesn't matter which roadway one is using.

The Parkway is a different story.  In the era it was built, it was designed as a leisurely parkway.  The driving public though started treating it like the other limited access interstate highway that started to be built around the same time - hard, fast driving for commuting to work.  Some areas received upgrades to make it more like an interstate highway...and other areas received bandaid-type modifications just to keep the highway from becoming a day-long parking lot.  The NJTA has been pumping a great deal of cash into it to fix some of the issues, whether it be capacity or operational issues.

SignBridge

Very good summary jeffandnicole. I've often noted that the Parkway in many ways was not built to the same exacting standards as the Turnpike. Shoulders are not continuous in all areas. And in Middlesex/Union Counties I can't believe they expanded it to five lanes in each direction with no left shoulder. Imagine you start having car trouble in the left lane and need to cross all the way over to the right shoulder. And are those lanes even the standard 12 feet wide, or slightly narrower? They must have been desperate for capacity improvement. And  to this day between Exits 151-153 there is no median-barrier protection in the vicinity of the State Police station at Bloomfield.

What's surprising is that back in the 1960's the Parkway boasted the lowest fatality rate of any toll-road in the country, even with it's design shortcomings. Maybe not having all the large trucks, especially in the Northern section helps with that. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on August 25, 2015, 09:48:38 PM
Very good summary jeffandnicole. I've often noted that the Parkway in many ways was not built to the same exacting standards as the Turnpike. Shoulders are not continuous in all areas. And in Middlesex/Union Counties I can't believe they expanded it to five lanes in each direction with no left shoulder. Imagine you start having car trouble in the left lane and need to cross all the way over to the right shoulder. And are those lanes even the standard 12 feet wide, or slightly narrower? They must have been desperate for capacity improvement. And  to this day between Exits 151-153 there is no median-barrier protection in the vicinity of the State Police station at Bloomfield.

What's surprising is that back in the 1960's the Parkway boasted the lowest fatality rate of any toll-road in the country, even with it's design shortcomings. Maybe not having all the large trucks, especially in the Northern section helps with that. 

I'm sure some others up north may know more specifically when the highway was widened...back in the 50's and 60's, I would imagine that most of those shortcomings didn't exist.  Yeah, the 5 lane, no left shoulder (and I'm quite sure narrow lanes) aren't want you find on a typical highway.  Nor was the 3 lane, no-shoulder-whatsoever areas.  Back then, remember the GSP was its own authority, and the only connection it had with the Turnpike was Interchange 11 in Woodbridge...which is also where the GSP's Admin building was located.  The Turnpike took over the building after the two tollways merged.  Even today, except for the Turnpike's addition of the full-color VMS signage on the Parkway, the two toll roads have kept their own identity, as the Parkway still features short skip lines compared to the Turnpike's 25 foot long lines, and no variable speed limit signage.

roadman65

Most of the Parkway in Middlesex and Union Counties were three lanes especially on the free section between Exits 129 and 140.  In 1980 they widened the roadway adding pavement and widening the viaduct at Aldene in Union County over the three rail lines (now 2 being SIRT is abandoned), NJ 28, and South Avenue.  Then in the mid 1980's a fifth lane was added between Exits 136 and 140 by narrowing the shoulders and main travel lanes.  Then sometime in the 1990's it was restriped to add a fifth lane from Exits 129 to 136.

Most of the original Robert Moses Bridges between New Dover Road and Union County Route 615 were left wide enough to accommodate future widening projects and they did as even the former Reading Railroad overpass north of US 1, though not a stone arch structure, fits all of the current roadway comfortably even though built in the late 1940's when the Parkway was first built in that location.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Actually the State built section that included the Robert Moses style overpasses was originally only 2 lanes in each direction. There are photos in the Images-of-America book about the G.S. Parkway's history. The book points out that the original road was built with future expansion in mind, as was the Driscoll Bridge. The proof of that is those wide original underpasses. Very smart thinking at the time.

NJRoadfan

Its also visible in this horrible quality telecine of a promotional film for the referendum to create the NJ Highway Authority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JosR-zLLXmE

Somebody should find the original film and re-transfer it with modern equipment. I'm sure its buried in Woodbridge somewhere.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on August 26, 2015, 04:28:19 PM
Actually the State built section that included the Robert Moses style overpasses was originally only 2 lanes in each direction. There are photos in the Images-of-America book about the G.S. Parkway's history. The book points out that the original road was built with future expansion in mind, as was the Driscoll Bridge. The proof of that is those wide original underpasses. Very smart thinking at the time.
The Driscoll Bridge was built with the piers for future expansion that eventually became the SB Lanes.  Some historic aerials show that as well as vintage photos of the Parkway.

As far as the road being four lanes on the state built part, I only became aware of the road in 1968 or maybe 69. I was born in 65 so its usually until our 4th year of existence that we start retaining memory fully, so I cannot say that I ever saw the four lanes of the GSP.  However, until the widening project of 1980, the roadway was concrete.  I always remembered the concrete being old and the same texture in all lanes.  So therefore I must assume that the three lanes all were constructed at the same time as usually if a lane of any kind is added with like concrete as the other existing lanes, then one lane would always have a different wear pattern on it.

Just look at US 22 in Bridgewater where the WB lanes are concrete, you will see the left lane is still newer looking compared to the right two original WB Lanes.  The third left lane was added in 1988 when the Bridgewater Commons Mall opened as that was stipulated along with the reconconfiguration of the US 22 & US 202/206 interchange to handle the new mall traffic.

Now I am not saying you are lying, but the fact is all the lanes of the Parkway did not look like US 22 WB from I-287 to Commons Way does now some 27 years later after a lane was added considering the road in 1970 was only 22 years old. However, there could be the fact the concrete used back in the 1940's might of been different than the modern methods of mixing and the wear patterns must of been different.  On US 22 it might be that the concrete used for the left lane addition was not the same mixture that was used when US 22 was originally widened several years earlier.  In fact I do not know when US 22 was dualized but its obvious that the EB lanes of US 22 through Bridgewater east of US 202 & 206 were the original travel lanes even to us road geeks now.

It makes an interesting question though that unless we have a road geek born prior to 1948 by five or more years, we cannot really know why this is so unless someone has access to construction records and photos.

Sheryl Crowe

noelbotevera

Quote from: roadman65 on August 27, 2015, 12:06:19 AM
It makes an interesting question though that unless we have a road geek born prior to 1948 by five or more years, we cannot really know why this is so unless someone has access to construction records and photos.
Michael Summa?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

NJRoadfan

Looks like it was widened to 3 lanes between 1954 and 57. The part north of the state maintained section was originally 6 lanes, so they likely widened it to match that fairly quickly.

roadman65

It must of been.  That might of been why the concrete aged the same on both roadways.

Sheryl Crowe

hurricanehink

They're making good progress on the expansion to three lanes from exits 36 to 38 (not exit 35!). Exit 37 is scheduled to be closed soon so they can incorporate the new overpass coming from the expressway. The southbound ramp from ACE to the GSP is paved already, just needs to tie into the main portion, hence why they are temporarily closing exit 37. I'll try and get pics next time.

Also some other updates for South Jersey. The bridges are open and the parkway is continuous for exits 9-11. Exit 10 (for Stone Harbor Blvd.) is temporarily closed, and the others are getting work for the northbound exit ramps. The Egg Harbor Bridge (mile 28) is making progress as well. The new bridge has the span complete about one-third the way up on the south side, but the columns are missing toward the center.

I ride these roads weekly, so I can give regular updates if any of you guys want.

roadman65

There is an Exit 35 now?   I also believe you made another typo as you said "temporarily closing Exit 36."

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: hurricanehink on September 27, 2015, 02:49:54 PMThe bridges are open and the parkway is continuous for exits 9-11. Exit 10 (for Stone Harbor Blvd.) is temporarily closed, and the others are getting work for the northbound exit ramps.

Can you still get directly from Cape May C.H. (say, from Cape Regional Medical Center) to Stone Harbor via County 657?  And what exit(s) must one take from to the GSP itself to get to SH?

ixnay

NJRoadfan

Detour is to take Exit 9 along with Shell Bay Ave. and US-9.

ixnay

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 27, 2015, 09:22:43 PM

How about from points north?

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on September 28, 2015, 06:57:46 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 27, 2015, 09:22:43 PM

How about from points north?

ixnay

Since the exits are mileage based, Exits 9 & 11 are only about 1 mile from Exit 10.  Coming from the North, simply exit the GSP at Exit 11, turn right onto 609 for about 1/4 mile, turn left onto US 9 South for a mile, then left onto 657.

If you pass it, just continue to Exit 9, turn right onto Shellbay Ave, turn right onto US 9 North for a mile, then right onto 657.

NJRoadfan

Southbound side is open already.

hurricanehink

Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2015, 03:49:31 PM
There is an Exit 35 now?   I also believe you made another typo as you said "temporarily closing Exit 36."
Sorry, thanks for the fixes!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.