News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 30, 2015, 03:16:38 PM
They sparingly post them, usually at major junctions. Occasionally you will get a single destination distance sign with the true terminus of the route on it (ex: Verona for NJ-23 south).
They are on I-80, I-280, I-287, and on I-78 as part of a project statewide back in 1998 or circa.  They are at random spots usually after each city listed gets surpassed.  Hence I-78 E Bound at Delaware River uses Clinton- Bedminster- Newark and then after Clinton at Exit 18 its Bedminster- Watchung- Newark.  After Bedminster it updates to Watchung- Newark and then just east of Exit 41 at the Watchung and Berkley Heights border  a Newark only sign appears.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Red Bold emphasis added in below-quoted post:

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 30, 2015, 05:55:05 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 30, 2015, 05:36:15 PM
Quote from: storm2k on August 05, 2015, 09:46:13 PM
Finally had a chance to go by 140 yesterday to see the new signs. It's now 140B-A southbound. 140A is now 140B and 140 is now 140A. It looks like reused one of the 1980 cantilevers from the sign replacements to put up a sign for 140A. Will try to grab pictures at some point.
Having just driven by there last night en route home from Thanksgiving vacation; I'm surprised that those exits didn't get renumbered as Exits 141B-A, for the simple reason that MM 141 is located south of those exit ramps.  IMHO, if NJTPA is going to go through the trouble & expense to change some of its exit numbers anyway; why not have them correctly match or be in better synch with the mile markers?

Is it cost effective to disrupt every personal and business reference to the exit to make it one mile more accurate?
The personal & business references that you speak of are already being disrupted by the recent change; especially if one makes reference to Exit 140A (old 140/new 140B).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 30, 2015, 06:43:06 PM
Red Bold emphasis added in below-quoted post:

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 30, 2015, 05:55:05 PM
Finally had a chance to go by 140 yesterday to see the new signs. It's now 140B-A southbound. 140A is now 140B and 140 is now 140A. It looks like reused one of the 1980 cantilevers from the sign replacements to put up a sign for 140A. Will try to grab pictures at some point.
Having just driven by there last night en route home from Thanksgiving vacation; I'm surprised that those exits didn't get renumbered as Exits 141B-A, for the simple reason that MM 141 is located south of those exit ramps.  IMHO, if NJTPA is going to go through the trouble & expense to change some of its exit numbers anyway; why not have them correctly match or be in better synch with the mile markers?

Is it cost effective to disrupt every personal and business reference to the exit to make it one mile more accurate?
The personal & business references that you speak of are already being disrupted by the recent change; especially if one makes reference to Exit 140A (old 140/new 140B).

I'm talking about for the general population, not the agency.  I didn't realize the exit number was already being changed.  Still, lessened confusion should be the goal over system consistency.  These two are not always the same.

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 30, 2015, 05:57:33 PM
I just thought about this: Why is the GSP not widened to 6 lanes total south of the Great Egg Harbor bridge? That section handles the shore traffic, and except for north of I-78, all of the Parkway is 6 lanes.
I have absolutely no idea what your last phrase is supposed to indicate. Have you ever traveled the Parkway or even looked at aerials? There is absolutely no need to widen south of Great Egg Harbor, and possibly not even south of the Atlantic City Expressway area.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2015, 09:34:01 PM
I just thought about this: Why is the GSP not widened to 6 lanes total south of the Great Egg Harbor bridge? That section handles the shore traffic, and except for north of I-78, all of the Parkway is 6 lanes.
I have absolutely no idea what your last phrase is supposed to indicate. Have you ever traveled the Parkway or even looked at aerials? There is absolutely no need to widen south of Great Egg Harbor, and possibly not even south of the Atlantic City Expressway area.
Between the ACE and NJ 440 is the section I traveled, and a bit of aerials north of I-280.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 30, 2015, 10:02:15 PM
Between the ACE and NJ 440 is the section I traveled, and a bit of aerials north of I-280.
Here is the Parkway.

2 lanes: 0-35*
3 lanes: 35*-90
4 lanes: 90-98
5 lanes: 98-117
6 lanes: 117-123
7/8 lanes: 123-127
4/5 lanes: 127-129
3 lanes: inside 129
5 lanes: 129-140
4 lanes: 140-145
3 lanes: 145-168
2 lanes: 168-172

*pending ongoing construction

roadman65

Does anyone know if the SB exits for 143 are redone to eliminate the 143-143A-143B situation?

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on December 04, 2015, 03:46:52 PM
Does anyone know if the SB exits for 143 are redone to eliminate the 143-143A-143B situation?
I drove by there this past Sunday; no changes were made.  The only GSP renumbering (more like a reshuffling) in that area recently done was between (but not including) I-78 and US 1.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jwolfer

If I recall correctly all the exits are offset by a mile because mile 0 was moved south at some point

Alps

Quote from: jwolfer on December 04, 2015, 04:52:02 PM
If I recall correctly all the exits are offset by a mile because mile 0 was moved south at some point
Other than 63 being at 64 and 91 being at 93, most of the mileposts are in pretty good agreement south of 135 (now that 131 became 132). Whatever discrepancy there was, arose sometime after exits were numbered on the free section in Middlesex Co.

roadman65

I heard they are off by a mile to avoid the alphabet soup scenario.  Like Exit 138 is at mile 140 exactly to avoid having 140 A for County Road 509, 140 B for SB Chestnut Street, 140 C for NB Chestnut Street, and 140 D for Route 22.

The Exits 143 alphabet was allowed because all ramps serve Irvington unlike the current 138, 139, and 140 which serve three different roadways and are in fact three separate interchanges.  Where 143 is actually one interchange spread out over a mile.   

Edit: I searched around to find the article where I read that piece of info.  I read it someplace after the question was raised, and without looking I was reading articles on the Parkway and its exit system.  It explained the mile off and used the three Union exits together within a mile as an example of what would have had to been done to number them under traditional practices.  Whether its true or not, it does make sense, and really who other than us here, notices the inaccuracy of the mileposts verses the exit numbers.  People have used the 140 number to exit for Route 22 for years and have used 138 for Kenilworth for ages as well.  It works and nothing really is 100 percent perfect.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on December 05, 2015, 01:54:08 PM
I heard
No you didn't. You made it up. It's wrong. Shifting everything by -1 number wouldn't change the scenario.

bzakharin

Quote from: hurricanehink on November 26, 2015, 12:34:58 PM
Just drove past exit 38/37 (going south from ACE), and there was a sign saying "New Traffic Pattern Dec. 3" I'm guessing this is when the traffic from ACE east goes onto a new ramp to GSP south.
I believe that VMS was changed to say the 9th and then 15th. Now it's off. There is no new traffic pattern as far as I can tell (except occasional lane closures). I go through that interchange 3 times a week in both directions.

roadman65

Quote from: bzakharin on December 14, 2015, 11:17:13 AM
Quote from: hurricanehink on November 26, 2015, 12:34:58 PM
Just drove past exit 38/37 (going south from ACE), and there was a sign saying "New Traffic Pattern Dec. 3" I'm guessing this is when the traffic from ACE east goes onto a new ramp to GSP south.
I believe that VMS was changed to say the 9th and then 15th. Now it's off. There is no new traffic pattern as far as I can tell (except occasional lane closures). I go through that interchange 3 times a week in both directions.
We get that too in Florida.  A sign will say NEW PATTERN DECEMBER 15, and then when the 15th comes, no change.  Then it is amended to say DECEMBER 21st, to not have any change.  Then the message is updated to say JANUARY 3rd.   

Construction workers these days keep a job going longer than it needs to be.  On John Young Parkway, through Hunters Creek area has been having over a month and a half a milling the section of roadway from Osceola County to FL 528.  They still have some turn lanes in Hunters Creek proper that need to be milled, instead the contractor is redoing pavements that have been milled already.  Yes they close off lanes and have done so since Thanksgiving to grind up new asphalt to lay down another treatment of asphalt instead of finishing the right turn lanes at Teal Point Drive and at the apartment complex just south of FL 417 as well as Substation Road just north of FL 417. 

If they worked at the whole project each day, they could have had the final coat of asphalt laid down already and all completed, but no they have to goof around doing meaningless work.  Then another part of the project they cannot do is around FL 528 due to the HOT lanes construction on FL 528 which is over some of their project area as it ends just north of the FL 528 overpass.  That of course is understandable, but then again the County of Orange could have let the contractor for FL 528 cover that when it was decided to have the work done as that would save a lot of trouble for this company to have to wait around more for them to get the FL 528/ JYP intersection done for the 528 expansion completed.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

J Route Z

Quote from: roadman65 on December 30, 2015, 10:26:21 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.624885,-74.3064495,3a,75y,48.03h,105.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_AjyhEfPDQ30WZrfqga5Aw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Google now has the new GSP signage on Street View.
It's about damn time they updated street view images. I noticed if you go further north, they are about to install newer signage above exit 145. You can see the sign bases put in. It's a shame that the new images don't go all the way up the Parkway and stops around exit 168.

roadman65

I wonder if they will remove that I-80 New York sign that misleads motorists to use the GWB into the city that is in Clifton at the NJ 3 exit?   I think the Lincoln Tunnel should be on a supplemental sign and NJ 3 should use New York City for its E Bound (Exit 153A) guide, and maybe finally give back NJ 3 a control city like it once had.  I cannot remember if it was Dover or something else, but Little Falls or Wayne would work well.

Also glad to see Rahway is now signed with two exits N Bound at Exit 132 with a "Rahway Next 2 Exits" as well as "Cranford Next 2 Exits" in Clark north of 135, and then now Roselle Park gets the next 3 exits north of 136 due to it being removed from the 137 and 138 guides.  A sign near the Aldene hill has that particular Next X Exit sign.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on January 01, 2016, 12:13:42 PM
I wonder if they will remove that I-80 New York sign that misleads motorists to use the GWB into the city that is in Clifton at the NJ 3 exit?   I think the Lincoln Tunnel should be on a supplemental sign and NJ 3 should use New York City for its E Bound (Exit 153A) guide, and maybe finally give back NJ 3 a control city like it once had.  I cannot remember if it was Dover or something else, but Little Falls or Wayne would work well.

Also glad to see Rahway is now signed with two exits N Bound at Exit 132 with a "Rahway Next 2 Exits" as well as "Cranford Next 2 Exits" in Clark north of 135, and then now Roselle Park gets the next 3 exits north of 136 due to it being removed from the 137 and 138 guides.  A sign near the Aldene hill has that particular Next X Exit sign.

It will probably change as they replace signage since the new signage follows the MUTCD rules much more closely. They should put the tunnel on a supplemental ground mount sign. They will likely use Clifton or Secaucus as the destinations.

roadman65

There used to be Passaic before 1981 or circa.  The original signs were Caltrans text shield circles and used both the Tunnel and Passaic as EB Points.  Like I said I cannot remember the WB city.  I want to say Dover, but could not be sure.  Before the diagramical signs, there were carbon copy signs with Passaic on them, but the W B exit had the control city not copied over for some reason.

Sheryl Crowe

NJ

Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2015, 11:20:12 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on November 30, 2015, 10:02:15 PM
Here is the Parkway.

2 lanes: 0-35*
3 lanes: 35*-90
4 lanes: 90-98
5 lanes: 98-117
6 lanes: 117-123
7/8 lanes: 123-127
4/5 lanes: 127-129
3 lanes: inside 129
5 lanes: 129-140
4 lanes: 140-145
3 lanes: 145-168
2 lanes: 168-172

*pending ongoing construction

Would be a nice of having a list of the toll plazas as well. I know there is the Bergen toll plaza which is annoying

roadman65

Cape May
Great Egg
New Gretna
Barnegate
Toms River
Asbury Park
Raritan
Union
Essex
Bergen
Pasack Valley(Formerly Hillsdale)

Sheryl Crowe

NJ

Quote from: roadman65 on January 07, 2016, 01:24:19 PM
Cape May
Great Egg
New Gretna
Barnegate
Toms River
Asbury Park
Raritan
Union
Essex
Bergen

Should be eliminated  :ded:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJ on January 07, 2016, 01:17:51 PM

Would be a nice of having a list of the toll plazas as well. I know there is the Bergen toll plaza which is annoying

www.state.nj.us/turnpike

There are links to the GS Parkway's toll plazas there, including all the ramp plazas.

roadman65

Quote from: NJ on January 07, 2016, 01:58:50 PM
Cape May
Great Egg
New Gretna
Barnegate
Toms River
Asbury Park
Raritan
Union
Essex
Bergen

Agreed as its way too close to Pasack Valley.  Also to note just south of it is Exit 157 that is the midway point to the Essex Toll plaza though not by a long shot half way.  The Parkway likes to place ramp tolls most NB for off and SB on north of Union due to the amount of commuters using the highway.  The same goes south of the Raritan River, where the ramp tolls are all SB off and NB on due to commuters and shore patrons traveling in that direction instead of going north.

Sheryl Crowe

NJ

Quote from: roadman65 on January 09, 2016, 03:07:58 PM
Quote from: NJ on January 07, 2016, 01:58:50 PM
Cape May
Great Egg
New Gretna
Barnegate
Toms River
Asbury Park
Raritan
Union
Essex
Bergen

Agreed as its way too close to Pasack Valley.  Also to note just south of it is Exit 157 that is the midway point to the Essex Toll plaza though not by a long shot half way.  The Parkway likes to place ramp tolls most NB for off and SB on north of Union due to the amount of commuters using the highway.  The same goes south of the Raritan River, where the ramp tolls are all SB off and NB on due to commuters and shore patrons traveling in that direction instead of going north.

$1.50 toll is ridiculous as well... 25 cents should be enough

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.