News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

NCDOT is planning to widen NC-42 in Johnston County between NC-50 and US-70 Business in Clayton.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14637

QuoteTo ease traffic congestion and plan for expected growth, state transportation officials are finalizing a proposal to widen an eight-mile stretch of N.C. 42 in a fast-developing area of Johnston County.

The proposal would widen what now is largely a two-lane road into four lanes with a divided median between U.S. 70 Business inside Clayton and N.C. 50, west of Interstate 40.

The N.C. Department of Transportation is launching a new website with more information about the $66 million proposed project and mailing newsletters to residents and property owners along the corridor.

New homes and businesses continue to sprout along N.C. 42, where some sections carry more than 22,000 vehicles on the average day. The department is forecasting daily traffic volumes to reach 35,000 on the highway in less than 25 years.

"Traffic congestion is perhaps the No. 1 issue in our area, so we are committed to continuing to work with NCDOT to address this concern,"  Clayton Mayor Jody McLeod said. "We appreciate that NCDOT is responding to this challenge of meeting the needs of Clayton's incredible growth."

The proposed project offers other benefits: The additional travel lanes would ease traffic delays during rush hour and make it easier for motorists to pull out from side streets. In addition, NCDOT would replace three N.C. 42 bridges that date from the 1940s and 1960s.

Department engineers and consultants are studying options of where to expand the highway. They plan to schedule a public meeting next spring, when a preliminary design will be available. Construction would start in 2022.

The proposal is separate from a plan by NCDOT to improve the interchange of I-40 and N.C. 42 and add two lanes in each direction along I-40 between Exit 301 and Exit 312. More information about this project can be found on the NCDOT website. The project bisects the portion where N.C. 42 would be widened. State highway engineers will closely coordinate both projects.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on December 04, 2017, 10:17:38 AM
NCDOT is planning to widen NC-42 in Johnston County between NC-50 and US-70 Business in Clayton.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14637
Which will happen first, the widening of NC 42, or the signing of I-42 on US 70 that crosses over NC 42.

QuoteTo ease traffic congestion and plan for expected growth, state transportation officials are finalizing a proposal to widen an eight-mile stretch of N.C. 42 in a fast-developing area of Johnston County.

The proposal would widen what now is largely a two-lane road into four lanes with a divided median between U.S. 70 Business inside Clayton and N.C. 50, west of Interstate 40.

The N.C. Department of Transportation is launching a new website with more information about the $66 million proposed project and mailing newsletters to residents and property owners along the corridor.

New homes and businesses continue to sprout along N.C. 42, where some sections carry more than 22,000 vehicles on the average day. The department is forecasting daily traffic volumes to reach 35,000 on the highway in less than 25 years.

"Traffic congestion is perhaps the No. 1 issue in our area, so we are committed to continuing to work with NCDOT to address this concern,"  Clayton Mayor Jody McLeod said. "We appreciate that NCDOT is responding to this challenge of meeting the needs of Clayton's incredible growth."

The proposed project offers other benefits: The additional travel lanes would ease traffic delays during rush hour and make it easier for motorists to pull out from side streets. In addition, NCDOT would replace three N.C. 42 bridges that date from the 1940s and 1960s.

Department engineers and consultants are studying options of where to expand the highway. They plan to schedule a public meeting next spring, when a preliminary design will be available. Construction would start in 2022.

The proposal is separate from a plan by NCDOT to improve the interchange of I-40 and N.C. 42 and add two lanes in each direction along I-40 between Exit 301 and Exit 312. More information about this project can be found on the NCDOT website. The project bisects the portion where N.C. 42 would be widened. State highway engineers will closely coordinate both projects.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on December 04, 2017, 01:23:02 PMWhich will happen first, the widening of NC 42, or the signing of I-42 on US 70 that crosses over NC 42.

My guess is that NC-42 will be widened before the Clayton Bypass becomes I-42. NCDOT could easily request I-42 shields for the Clayton Bypass (as well as the Goldsboro Bypass) if they really wanted to. The bypass connects to an existing interstate and ends at a US route. They seem to want to wait until US-70 is upgraded between Clayton and Goldsboro before they pursue I-42 shields for US-70. Another issue is that the US-70 Corridor Commission is concerned about the reduced weight limits that will go into effect once I-42 starts getting signed. The commission mentioned finding a solution to the issue, which likely means getting the local Congressmen to attempt grandfathering the existing weight limits once US-70 becomes I-42, the way Wisconsin did for I-41/US-41.

74/171FAN

I actually lived on NC 50 for a summer internship at NCDOT a few years ago.  I am sure that the widening of NC 42 is a necessity, but I am unsure if NC 50 from NC 42 to US 70 (well at least to Timber Dr) in Garner should not be a bigger priority.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

LM117

NCDOT has awarded a contract to mill and resurface US-29 (Future I-785) between US-158 near Reidsville and the Caswell County line.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14639

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a $4.9 million contract to mill and resurface a 24-mile section of U.S. 29 between U.S. 158 in Rockingham County and the Caswell County line.

"The contract entails milling and resurfacing of the asphalt as well as the replacement and painting of pavement markings; which will ultimately create a smother and safer ride for drivers traveling between Rockingham and Caswell counties and the Virginia state line,"  said NCDOT Division Engineer Mike Mills.

Work can begin as early as July 2018, and completion is anticipated by November 2019.

Sharpe Brothers Inc. of Greensboro is the contractor for this project.

This was one of nine road and bridge projects recently awarded by the department. They were worth about $275.3 million, about $12.7 million under engineer estimates.

Avalanchez71

NC is just hog wild with road building. Doesn't anyone appreciate rural roads or driving through town?

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on December 06, 2017, 02:03:05 PM
NC is just hog wild with road building. Doesn't anyone appreciate rural roads or driving through town?

(a) apparently not enough to make a difference; (b) your friendly local state delegate/representative/senator can't point to the status quo as a reason for their re-election. 

CanesFan27

Quote from: sparker on December 06, 2017, 05:49:58 PM

(a) apparently not enough to make a difference; (b) your friendly local state delegate/representative/senator can't point to the status quo as a reason for their re-election. 

Or the more accurate c - counties like here in Wake that sees a net migration of 40 new residents a day.

http://www.wakegov.com/planning/peopleandplaces/Pages/default.aspx

LM117

NCDOT has awarded a contract to mill and resurface US-70 Business in Johnston County from the Wake County line to US-70 (Clayton Bypass).

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14638

QuoteA smoother — and safer — ride awaits people who use an eight-mile section of U.S. 70 Business in Johnston County.

The N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a $6.6 million contract to The Lane Construction Corp. of Cheshire, Connecticut, to mill out the old asphalt and resurface the business highway between the Wake County line and U.S. 70 Bypass south of. To improve safety and traffic flow through the intersections, the contractor also will reconfigure several median openings between Shotwell Road and N.C. 42 in Clayton. The new traffic pattern will direct left turns from the highway onto the side roads; motorists on those side streets will turn right and make a U-turn, if they wish to go in the opposite direction.

Additionally, the contractor will repave the U.S. 70 Business westbound ramp at the U.S. 70 Bypass, as well as sections of Barbour and Hamby streets near U.S. 70 in Clayton.

Weather depending, the contractor may start work after Jan. 2, with the project expected to be substantially complete by November 2018. Landscaping work can continue through May 2019.

This was one of nine road and bridge projects recently awarded by the department. They were worth about $275.3 million, about $12.7 million under engineer estimates.

LM117

An eastern section of the Greensboro Urban Loop (I-840/I-785) between US-70 and US-29 has opened tonight.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14644

QuoteOriginally slated for completion in December 2018, N.C. Department of Transportation contractors have exceeded the project delivery date of the Eastern Loop phase of construction of the Greensboro Urban Loop by more than a year, opening that portion of the loop to traffic at 8 p.m. Wednesday.

"One major department goal is to meet project deadlines, and we are delighted that with encouragement through incentives and weather conducive for construction, the contractor was able to complete this section early,"  said Board of Transportation Chair and Division Seven Board Member Michael Fox, who represents Guilford, Alamance, Caswell, Orange and Rockingham Counties.

"The contractor, Flatiron Construction/Blythe Development, hired extra crews, brought in sub-contractors, used additional equipment, worked overtime and weekends, all to get the work done early for some 30,000 vehicles that will travel on that section of highway,"  said Division Seven Engineer Mike Mills.

Contractors built the four-lane freeway between the U.S. 70 relocation and U.S. 29, completed the U.S. 70 interchange and built two new interchanges connecting the Greensboro Loop to Huffine Mill Road and U.S. 29.

Projected traffic volume along this section of highway will be around 58,000 vehicles per day by 2040, giving travelers from Virginia to northern Rockingham County the ability to get to I-40/85 in a more timely manner, while reducing congestion.

So what's next? The Western Loop is scheduled to open Feb. 1, 2018, weather permitting. This will complete the loop with the exception of the last segment, between Battleground Avenue and Lawndale Drive, and Lawndale Avenue and U.S. 29. A contract for that work will be awarded in March 2018.

Once complete, the loop will allow traffic to bypass Greensboro and improve congestion on I-40, particularly in the loop that includes I-40, I-85 Business and U.S. routes 29, 70, 220 and 421.

NCDOT thanks motorists for their continued patience and urges drivers to watch for changing traffic patterns.

froggie

Quote from: NCDOTOnce complete, the loop will allow traffic to bypass Greensboro and improve congestion on I-40, particularly in the loop that includes I-40, I-85 Business and U.S. routes 29, 70, 220 and 421.

I'm not convinced this will actually be the case.  For starters, it's a goodly bit distance north.  Second, there's already a much-shorter bypass loop for that busy section of I-40...namely following I-73 and I-85 around the south side of the city.  Third, there's probably enough latent demand along the I-40 corridor to where whatever the bypass pulls away will fill right back up.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on December 07, 2017, 08:33:02 AM
Quote from: NCDOTOnce complete, the loop will allow traffic to bypass Greensboro and improve congestion on I-40, particularly in the loop that includes I-40, I-85 Business and U.S. routes 29, 70, 220 and 421.

I'm not convinced this will actually be the case.  For starters, it's a goodly bit distance north.  Second, there's already a much-shorter bypass loop for that busy section of I-40...namely following I-73 and I-85 around the south side of the city.  Third, there's probably enough latent demand along the I-40 corridor to where whatever the bypass pulls away will fill right back up.

I agree that it's borderline useless as a bypass for I-40 thru traffic, but the northern half is still useful for those wanting to reach US-29 and points north since it avoids "Death Valley" and vice-versa, whether traffic is coming or going from the eastern half or western half. It's also useful for those wanting to get to PTI airport or points north on I-73/US-220 from east of Greensboro.

froggie

Agree it'll be easier to get to/from US 29 North...but NCDOT is asserting that it will help congestion on I-40 and I just don't see that.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on December 07, 2017, 08:56:27 AM
Agree it'll be easier to get to/from US 29 North...but NCDOT is asserting that it will help congestion on I-40 and I just don't see that.

Me either. My guess is that NCDOT is counting on the fact the northern half will have a single continous interstate designation (I-73/I-785 nothwithstanding) while the southern half is made up of two separate interstates. That's the only explanation I can think of.

I've always believed that I-85 should've been left on it's old routing through Greensboro and the entire loop signed as I-840 (again, I-73/I-785 overlaps notwithstanding).

Beltway

Quote from: LM117 on December 07, 2017, 09:36:37 AM
Me either. My guess is that NCDOT is counting on the fact the northern half will have a single continous interstate designation (I-73/I-785 nothwithstanding) while the southern half is made up of two separate interstates. That's the only explanation I can think of.
I've always believed that I-85 should've been left on it's old routing through Greensboro and the entire loop signed as I-840 (again, I-73/I-785 overlaps notwithstanding).

Unless the southern section of the loop has congestion, the northern section would not be a logical alternative for I-40 as it is substantial longer in distance.   The southern section of the loop between I-40 east and west is 8 lanes for about half of the distance and is 6 lanes for the rest... a lot of capacity there.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

RoadPelican

Well at least NC is different from Florida where every new road is a toll road!

Strider

I disagree. I have been living in Greensboro for more than 3/4 of my life, I do know that once the entire I-840 loop opens in a few years, it will eventually help with congestion on I-40 as soon as the drivers are getting used to it. The northern loop may be 21 miles from the west end (I-40/I-73) to the east end (I-40/I-85), it will be very useful when they plan on fixing the section of I-40 through the Death Valley in a couple of years and for those who lives in northern Guilford County. I-73/I-85 Southern loop is the better bypass for now, but it does get crowded sometimes.

Already drove on I-785 South from US 29 to I-40/85 this morning, and  it only took me 7-8 minutes to get there. Yes, it is useful/easier to get to/from US 29 North.

NE2

Quote from: RoadPelican on December 07, 2017, 12:23:51 PM
Well at least NC is different from Florida where every new road is a toll road!
Those tolls on SR 9B and the US 301 Starke bypass really suck. And don't get me started on US 19 in Clearwater. Damn.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadsguy

I-73 along US 220 up to NC 68 is fully open by now, right?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

dfilpus

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 07, 2017, 04:37:48 PM
It's open but still being upgraded.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on December 07, 2017, 09:36:37 AM

I think I have to disagree with you on that: it was too important to get the I-85 through traffic out of Death Valley.

slorydn1

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 06, 2017, 06:38:23 PM
Quote from: sparker on December 06, 2017, 05:49:58 PM

Or the more accurate c - counties like here in Wake that sees a net migration of 40 new residents a day.

http://www.wakegov.com/planning/peopleandplaces/Pages/default.aspx

Yep. My middle son is now a Wake County resident, after spending his entire life down on the coast. It's where the good IT jobs are.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Strider

Yes, the road is technically already 4-laned, but there are still some work to be done before I-73 can be fully signed up to NC 68.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on December 08, 2017, 02:55:34 PM

Yes, the road is technically already 4-laned, but there are still some work to be done before I-73 can be fully signed up to NC 68.
NCDOT says the extension of I-73 along the upgraded US 220 should be completed by the end of December.

Roadsguy

Is it totally free-flowing or are there still temporary signals?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.