News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

A section of NC-11 north of Kinston will be closed in both directions between 7pm Friday and 6am Monday due to the Harvey Parkway extension project. Detours are listed in the press release.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-04-20-lenoir-county-highway-closure.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 15, 2020, 05:55:04 PM
Completed or opened? It can open to traffic upon substantial completion and there still be punch list items remaining in the contract before it's considered 100% complete.

The Construction Progress Report shows 9/20/2020 for completion. Interesting that the completion date of 8/27/2019 in the Construction Progress Report differs from the 11/15/2019 completion in the contract.
Got a response from NCDOT.

The bypass will open to traffic in the fall, full completion will be months after that.
https://twitter.com/NCDOT/status/1250783587496050688

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 16, 2020, 12:48:32 PM

Something I just found buried in the signage plans for R-2707F (the contract for paving and opening the first real segment of the Shelby Bypass that just opened) is reference to a planned interchange at Mooresboro for US 74 Business. Such a project seemingly would complete the last non-freeway segment of US 74 between I-26 and I-85 unaccounted for by the Shelby Bypass project. Does anyone know of the timeframe for the project or even what STIP number it has? I tried to find more infrormation about it, but searches for "US 74 Mooresboro interchange NC" or similar get drowned out by references to Mooresboro as the western end of the Shelby Bypass.
Project R‐4045 - Unfunded 2020 - 2029 STIP - Construct an interchange at SR-1168 Lattimore Rd / realigned US-74 Business, and would also upgrade that small gap to freeway standards in the process - though those narrow bridges over Sandy Run would be retained.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Prioritization%20Data/Congestion%20Management%20Project%20Information%20(P5.0,%20P4.0,%20P3.0)/H150527-P5-12-Cleveland-TTS-Summary.pdf
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7875/46257582145_fbe3981437_o.png

LM117

Upcoming lane closures on I-40 due to new signs being installed as part of the Winston-Salem Business 40 project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-04-16-i-40-lane-closures-greensboro.aspx

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 16, 2020, 01:30:26 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on April 16, 2020, 12:48:32 PM

Something I just found buried in the signage plans for R-2707F (the contract for paving and opening the first real segment of the Shelby Bypass that just opened) is reference to a planned interchange at Mooresboro for US 74 Business. Such a project seemingly would complete the last non-freeway segment of US 74 between I-26 and I-85 unaccounted for by the Shelby Bypass project. Does anyone know of the timeframe for the project or even what STIP number it has? I tried to find more infrormation about it, but searches for "US 74 Mooresboro interchange NC" or similar get drowned out by references to Mooresboro as the western end of the Shelby Bypass.
Project R‐4045 - Unfunded 2020 - 2029 STIP - Construct an interchange at SR-1168 Lattimore Rd / realigned US-74 Business, and would also upgrade that small gap to freeway standards in the process - though those narrow bridges over Sandy Run would be retained.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Prioritization%20Data/Congestion%20Management%20Project%20Information%20(P5.0,%20P4.0,%20P3.0)/H150527-P5-12-Cleveland-TTS-Summary.pdf
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7875/46257582145_fbe3981437_o.png

Funding for R-4045 was requested in the INFRA Grant application. The supplemental design document (~90 MB file) for the grant application shows two different alternatives than the 10+ years old public meeting map (pages 3 and 4). Both include a roundabout south of US 74. It looks like they don't want to interfere with the Dollar General.

The bridges over Sandy Run are scheduled to be replaced with a separate project, BR-0012. It is scheduled to be let in April 2021. Another project (B-5876) to replace the bridges over the Second Broad River a little farther west in Rutherford County is scheduled to be let the same month. However, I wouldn't be surprised if those are delayed the way things are going.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/13%20MONTH%20LET%20LIST%20(APRIL%202021).pdf
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Traffic%20Forecasts/BR-0012%20Cleveland%20TF/BR-0012%20Cleveland%202018%20TF.pdf

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 16, 2020, 01:12:12 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 15, 2020, 05:55:04 PM
Completed or opened? It can open to traffic upon substantial completion and there still be punch list items remaining in the contract before it's considered 100% complete.

The Construction Progress Report shows 9/20/2020 for completion. Interesting that the completion date of 8/27/2019 in the Construction Progress Report differs from the 11/15/2019 completion in the contract.
Got a response from NCDOT.

The bypass will open to traffic in the fall, full completion will be months after that.
https://twitter.com/NCDOT/status/1250783587496050688

Dang. They ARE behind. If I recall correctly, I think they had some issues acquiring right-of-way using the design-build process. If you check out the July 2018 imagery in Google Earth, you can see some odd gaps in the project. One is south of the eastern interchange, and there are a couple others near the Zoo Connector. I mean, what's going on here? Did they just bulldoze through the middle of those chicken houses? That's one way to make an easement.

sprjus4

LM117

As part of the I-440 improvements project, there will be ramp closures at the Western Blvd interchange this weekend.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-04-17-i-440-east-western-blvd-closure.aspx

sprjus4

STC Corridor U (US-74 between I-26 and Wilmington) Master Plan Survey

QuoteIn 2015, the N.C. Department of Transportation (NCDOT) identified a network of key multimodal transportation corridors called Strategic Transportation Corridors (STC) to support smart planning, help set long-term investment decisions, and ensure that North Carolina's economic prosperity goals are achieved. The STCs are intended to promote transportation system connectivity, provide high levels of mobility, and improve access to important state and regional activity centers. A key element in the advancement of the STCs is the development of corridor master plans, to identify a high-level corridor mobility vision and associated corridor improvement action strategies. NCDOT has initiated the development of a master plan vision for STC U - U.S. 74 from I-26 in Polk County to U.S. 117 in Wilmington.

It's quite clear going through the survey questions where they are headed with this corridor.

QuoteFrom I-26 to Gastonia, what changes would you like to see on U.S. 74 (I-26 to I-85) and I-85 (U.S. 74 to U.S. 321) in the next 20 years? (Please select all that apply.)

From Gastonia to Monroe, what changes would you like to see on the corridor I-85 (U.S. 321 to I-485) and I-485 (I-85 to U.S. 74) in the next 20 years? (Please select all that apply.)

From Monroe to Wilmington, what changes would you like to see on U.S. 74 in the next 20 years? (Please select all that apply.)

Options (except Gastonia to Monroe)
- Bypasses around cities and towns
- Higher speed limits
- More ways to get on the road
- Tolling
- Fewer traffic signals
- More travel lanes
- More traffic signals

Options (Gastonia to Monroe)
- Bypasses around cities and towns
- Higher speed limits
- More travel lanes
- Fewer ways to get on the road
- Tolling

QuoteFrom I-26 to Gastonia, do you support the preliminary vision of a freeway (access only at interchanges/ramps, speed limit 55 or greater, no traffic signals) on U.S. 74 (I-26 to I-85) and I-85 (U.S. 74 to U.S. 321)?

From Gastonia to Monroe, do you support the preliminary vision of a freeway (access only at interchanges/ramps, speed limit 55 or greater, no traffic signals) on I-85 (U.S. 321 to I-485) and I-485 (I-85 to U.S. 74)?

From Monroe to Wilmington, do you support the preliminary vision of a freeway (access only at interchanges/ramps, speed limit 55 mph or greater, no traffic signals)?

It appears that the vast majority of people (70 - 80%) agree with the vision of a freeway along the entire corridor from I-26 to Wilmington.

NCDOT is currently in the process of surveying different Strategic Transportation Corridors in the state in order to update each ones Master Plan.
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Pages/NCTransportationNetwork.aspx

OracleUsr

Pardon my ignorance but shouldn't the LEFT EXIT 194 sign have a control city of Marion?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: OracleUsr on April 19, 2020, 07:58:28 PM
Pardon my ignorance but shouldn't the LEFT EXIT 194 sign have a control city of Marion?

I would say no, however, I think the Exit 199 signage should say Polkville heading eastbound and when it opens Polkville / Marion westbound.

LM117

Due to the COVID-19 impact on it's budget, NCDOT is delaying most of it's upcoming projects.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-04-21-covid-19-impact-ncdot-project-revenue.aspx

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on April 21, 2020, 02:13:01 PM
Due to the COVID-19 impact on it's budget, NCDOT is delaying most of it's upcoming projects.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-04-21-covid-19-impact-ncdot-project-revenue.aspx
Among projects deleted from the current 12-month letting lists are the I-95 widening projects, projects related to building the western section of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway, Future I-87 pavement rehabilitation projects, the upgrade of US 70 west of I-540, and the upgrade of US 70 to interstate standards north of the Havelock Bypass. Direct link to the full list of deleted or delayed projects: https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Documents/2020-ncdot-project-schedule-change.pdf

sprjus4

Quote from: bob7374 on April 21, 2020, 05:41:35 PM

Among projects deleted from the current 12-month letting lists are the I-95 widening projects, projects related to building the western section of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway, Future I-87 pavement rehabilitation projects, the upgrade of US 70 west of I-540, and the upgrade of US 70 to interstate standards north of the Havelock Bypass. Direct link to the full list of deleted or delayed projects: https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Documents/2020-ncdot-project-schedule-change.pdf
Interestingly enough, the only segments for the I-95 northern project that were on the "deleted" list was Exit 72 - Exit 73, and Exit 75 - Exit 81, though none of the others also planned to be let in 2020 appear on the Updated 12 Month Lettings page.

Also, when was the southern I-95 project (19 miles of 8 lane widening between Exit 22 and Exit 40) pushed up from 2028 to December 2020? Looks like that might be back for 2026 anyways.

Additionally...

Mid-Currituck Bridge deleted from 10/20 letting
US-17 4-lane widening north of Washington deleted from 12/20 letting
Fayetteville Loop segment deleted from 2/21 letting

sprjus4

NCDOT delays two projects in Robeson County because of budget shortfall caused by COVID-19
QuoteLUMBERTON – Two projects in Robeson County have been delayed by the North Carolina Department of Transportation because of the impact of COVID-19 on transportation and revenue.

The NCDOT is anticipating a shortfall of at least $300 million in its budget for the current fiscal year, which ends June 30, because people across the state have adhered to Gov. Roy Cooper's stay-at-home order to help stop the spread of the coronavirus, according to the Transportation Department.

The reduced budget has caused the department to adjust its spending priorities and project time lines, said Andrew Barksdale, NCDOT public information officer.

"Additionally, we were planning to start the construction of a roundabout sometime later this year at U.S. 301 and Parkton Tobermory Road,"  Barksdale said. "It's now going to be fall 2022."

The start of the Interstate 95 widening project also will be delayed by about six months, Barksdale said.

"That first section was to upgrade and widen I-95 from mile marker 22, north of Carthage Road, to mile marker 40,"  Barksdale said. "Before COVID-19 and the stay-at-home order, we were planning to award a design-build contract for that segment in December 2020."

After the design was completed, construction would begin about a year later as stated in the contract, he said.

"It's now going to be June 2021 when we award a design-build project for the segment from mile marker 22 to 40,"  Barksdale said.

More delays on county projects are to be expected because of budget impacts, he said.

An interchange upgrade on Carthage Road, which is part of the segment to widen and upgrade I-95 from mile markers 13 to 22, could be delayed, he said. The contract is scheduled to be awarded in 2021, but will likely be changed to a later date.

Before the virus, NCDOT also planned to begin construction of a roundabout at N.C. 710 and Deep Branch Road in the summer of 2021, Barksdale said. A delay in the project is anticipated, and the new contract date has not been set.

Because the Transportation Department revenue relies on the Motor Fuels Tax, Highway Use Tax and DMV fees, the significant budget impact has forced the department to notify local governments, stakeholders and the general public that all but about 50 major projects scheduled to start in the next 12 months are delayed, according to the NCDOT.

Projects moving forward are funded by Grant Anticipation Revenue Vehicles bonds, BUILD N.C. bonds and federal grants.

Projects scheduled to be awarded in the next year can be viewed on the NCDOT website.

Construction projects already awarded or underway will not be affected by changes.

The Transportation Department also is taking other steps to decrease expenditures, including:

– Allowing only mission critical purchases.

– Laying off temporary and embedded consultants.

– Suspending or decreasing many programs and services.

– A hiring freeze, except for positions that affect public safety.

The department also is in the process of developing plans for potential furloughs and a reduction in force, according to the Transportation Department. Plans are not yet complete and no decision has been made to enact them.
The southern segment of I-95 widening (Exit 22 to Exit 40) will only be delayed until June 2021, a 6 month delay. Hopefully this is the case with other projects "deleted" from the current 12 month list.

sprjus4

Proposed new bridge to Outer Banks among projects delayed by NCDOT money crunch
QuoteThe proposed toll bridge that would connect mainland Currituck County with Corolla is among a list of new projects that have been delayed by the N.C. Department of Transportation due to declining revenues caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to a highway department news release on Tuesday, the NCDOT is now facing a $300 million budget shortfall due to decreases in travel in North Carolina that have cut the amount of motor fuel and highway use taxes collected, and fees brought in by the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.

A 4.7-mile-long, two-lane toll bridge would run from the Narrow Shore neighborhood north of Aydlett on the Currituck mainland, to an area south of Whalehead Bay and Great Ocean Pond near the Corolla Bay neighborhood.

To connect the main span to U.S. 158 south of Coinjock, a smaller bridge would be built through Maple Swamp. The total price tag of the project has been estimated by NCDOT and N.C. Turnpike Authority at around $360 million.

A combination of local opponents and environmental organizations filed a federal lawsuit one year ago to block construction of the bridge, which was slated to begin by the fall of 2021.

Roughly 50 major projects statewide scheduled to start in the next 12 months are being delayed.

Those include repaving and widening of U.S. 17 in Camden County to bring it to interstate standards for the future I-87, and widening the last remaining two-lane stretch of U.S. 17 between Williamston and Washington.

Projects that will continue moving forward are funded by GARVEE bonds, BUILD NC bonds and federal grants. That includes a city-wide traffic signal control system for Elizabeth City.

NCDOT said the changes do not affect construction projects already underway or that have already been awarded.

The department also announced other steps to cut expenditures, including:

- Allowing only mission critical purchases
- Laying off temporary and embedded consultants
- Suspending or decreasing many programs and services
- Hiring freeze (except for positions that impact public safety)

Plans are also under development for potential furloughs and a reduction in workforce. Those plans are not yet complete and no decision has been made at this time to enact them, the highway department said.

LM117

The General Assembly will be voting on a COVID-19 omnibus bill next week, which would lower the cash floor from $300 million to $125 million for one year.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/ncdot-to-get-money-help-in-covid-19-relief-bill/19068887/

cowboy_wilhelm

Good to see they're still spending $90 million to build half of the Rutherfordton Bypass.  :rolleyes:

sprjus4

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 23, 2020, 06:15:54 PM
Good to see they're still spending $90 million to build half of the Rutherfordton Bypass.  :rolleyes:
Yet somehow I-95 got delayed.

LM117

Strider

Does Rutherfordton really need a bypass for US 221?  :-/ :confused:

sprjus4

Quote from: Strider on April 24, 2020, 07:28:11 PM

US-221 is a 4 lane divided highway south of US-74, and may well be widened to 4 lanes north of Rutherfordton up to Marion in the future. Having a continuous expressway design for a 4 lane arterial highway of that sort is probably desired, as opposed to having to slog through town. While it may seem unnecessary now, once a full SC -> Marion 4 lane divided highway is completed, it actually makes sense.

Are all of the town bypasses on arterial corridors across the state "really needed"?

Edit - It's an actual project, four laning between Marion and Rutherfordton. With this four lane project, the Rutherfordton Bypass, and the existing divided highway to the SC line, a 4 lane arterial highway with town bypasses will be in place from the SC line to Marion.
https://isothermalrpo.org/map-resources/r-2587-r-0204-us-221-in-rutherford-and-mcdowell-counties/

bob7374

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 24, 2020, 07:32:33 PM
Quote from: Strider on April 24, 2020, 07:28:11 PM
There is a nasty traffic choked crawl during both rush hours from the 64/221 diamond interchange to the end of the 4 lane Bus 74 highway.  My big issue with the design is with how close the 221 bypass will be to Bus 74 south of Charlotte Rd, there should have bee a direct south to south and north to north connecting ramps.

US-221 is a 4 lane divided highway south of US-74, and may well be widened to 4 lanes north of Rutherfordton up to Marion in the future. Having a continuous expressway design for a 4 lane arterial highway of that sort is probably desired, as opposed to having to slog through town. While it may seem unnecessary now, once a full SC -> Marion 4 lane divided highway is completed, it actually makes sense.

Are all of the town bypasses on arterial corridors across the state "really needed"?

Edit - It's an actual project, four laning between Marion and Rutherfordton. With this four lane project, the Rutherfordton Bypass, and the existing divided highway to the SC line, a 4 lane arterial highway with town bypasses will be in place from the SC line to Marion.
https://isothermalrpo.org/map-resources/r-2587-r-0204-us-221-in-rutherford-and-mcdowell-counties/

ARMOURERERIC

Drove through  the 40/77 construction  site early this morning, focus seems to be on the new NB 77 bridge over 40 and a long elevated  flyover from 40 west to 77 south.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.