News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

^^ Looks like that new onramp onto NB 85 will serve BOTH directions of 321, not just southbound.

The Ghostbuster

It's too bad the US 321 freeway stops at Grier Beam Blvd., and doesn't connect with Interstate 85. A full Interstate 85-to-Interstate 40 freeway would have been nice.

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 06, 2020, 12:50:21 PM
It's too bad the US 321 freeway stops at Grier Beam Blvd., and doesn't connect with Interstate 85. A full Interstate 85-to-Interstate 40 freeway would have been nice.
Has there ever been consideration of a beltway around the northeast side of Gastonia to provide a freeway connection between I-85 and US 321?

wdcrft63

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 08, 2020, 05:53:30 PM
Has there ever been consideration of a beltway around the northeast side of Gastonia to provide a freeway connection between I-85 and US 321?
I found a Gaston County Comprehensive Transportation Plan that appears to show a beltway arc on the northwest side of Gastonia. Does anyone know anything about this?

Mapmikey

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 08, 2020, 06:01:56 PM
I found a Gaston County Comprehensive Transportation Plan that appears to show a beltway arc on the northwest side of Gastonia. Does anyone know anything about this?

It is still in the 2019 revision of their plan - https://gclmpo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019-AMENDED-GCLMPO-CTP-Highway-Map-and-Insets.pdf

It is not in the 2020-29 NC STIP.

The Gastonia 2025 plan only has the SW and S segments of that road (Garden Pkwy) - http://www.cityofgastonia.com/images/files/planning/documents/2025/12-Transportation_layout.pdf

architect77

Quote from: LM117 on November 06, 2020, 08:06:59 AM
Quote from: LM117 on September 23, 2019, 04:48:57 PM
Due to the I-440 project in Raleigh, the Melbourne Road bridge will close for a year, beginning next Monday.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-09-23-i-440-melbourne-rd-closures.aspx

The new bridge is now open.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-11-05-melbourne-rd-bridge-i-440-open.aspx

PLEASE COMPLAIN TO NCDOT ABOUT THE BELTLINE TRASH, FADED SIGNAGE, AND 6 FOOT TALL WEEDS AT ALL RAMPS. I thought about what newcomers must think after all the national accolades to arrive and see this litter-filled, run-down looking freeway.

sprjus4

If you're referring to Exits 1-4, that's an active construction zone, not terribly surprising. It will all be cleaned up once it's complete.

NJRoadfan

Except its been like that for quite awhile. As stated earlier in the thread, exit signs have been missing in the area for YEARS, well before the current construction plans were even drafted. I remember the first time driving the beltline and US-64 in 2007 and noting a ton of abandoned cars along the side of the road....they were still there a week later when I left. Yes, they were tagged by the DOT/police, so they knew about them. They have since solved that problem.

nerdom

There was a proposal in the '90's for and outer-outer loop hwy that would have gone from Chester>Shelby>Lincolnton>Salisbury>Albemarle>Monroe>back around to Chester or between York and Chester. It was a beast.

Love2drive

I was driving on 40 through the Yadkin River Bridge/widening construction zone..and noticed that they installed high mast lighting at the Bermuda Run and Harper Road interchanges (mm 180 and 182).  They also have installed lighting in the median in that area as well.   Makes me wonder why they didn't put lights up along 40 through Winston.

VTGoose

I have been running up and down Fancy Gap mountain for the past week since my wife is in Wake Forest Baptist (thankfully not Covid, but that was the closest bed for treatment). I'm convinced that Winston-Salem and the surrounding area is the redheaded stepchild of the NC highway department. U.S. 52 from I-74 to U.S. 421 (and what Garmin thinks is still I-40 with old exit numbers) has got to have the worst pavement in the state. I have just about jarred my teeth loose rattling across all those bad joints (and trying the left lane is no better). I'll bet there are sections of I-77 that have been rebuilt several times in the past years while it appears nothing has been done to 52. Is the plan to finish the beltway sometime in the next 10 years and divert traffic there?

I have tried alternatives just for variety: I-77 to U.S. 421 east which wasn't bad, although a bit longer. I took that way back as far as Yadkinville, then up U.S. 601 to I-74 just to do it. Sunday was a nice fall day, so I accepted the longer time and took VA 8/NC 8 from Christiansburg to Winston-Salem.

It is pretty close to a 2-hour trip (or a bit more depending on day and traffic). I have learned (or reinforced) several things: some truckers are aholes who see no problem with cutting off an approaching car to micro-pass another truck, with one going 62 MPH and the passing truck doing 63 MPH while cars need to drop from 70+ on the uphill. There are several sections of I-77 that could use a third climbing lane to help with this problem. Wednesday is a bad day on I-81 and I-77 with trucks outnumbering cars (already knew this from other trips) but Saturday afternoons present a pretty wide-open road.

Bruce in Blacksburg

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-11-12-i-40-aviation-pkwy-shift.aspx

QuoteMORRISVILLE — N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews have reached a significant milestone on the project to improve the Interstate 40 interchange at Aviation Parkway.

On Saturday, traffic is scheduled to shift onto the eastern half of the new Aviation Parkway bridge over I-40. The western half opened in April.

Work is scheduled to begin at 6 a.m. and wrap up by evening.

At different times and for up to 30 minutes, the exits at the interchange will be closed to allow crews to restripe the ramp connections to Aviation Parkway to allow for traffic to be shifted.

During the closures, message boards will direct drivers to use the Airport Boulevard exits.

​This shift will allow crews to complete construction of the median north and south of the bridge in the final phase of construction for this project. The project is estimated to finish in Spring 2021.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

architect77

Quote from: VTGoose on November 11, 2020, 10:35:07 AM
I have been running up and down Fancy Gap mountain for the past week since my wife is in Wake Forest Baptist (thankfully not Covid, but that was the closest bed for treatment). I'm convinced that Winston-Salem and the surrounding area is the redheaded stepchild of the NC highway department. U.S. 52 from I-74 to U.S. 421 (and what Garmin thinks is still I-40 with old exit numbers) has got to have the worst pavement in the state. I have just about jarred my teeth loose rattling across all those bad joints (and trying the left lane is no better). I'll bet there are sections of I-77 that have been rebuilt several times in the past years while it appears nothing has been done to 52. Is the plan to finish the beltway sometime in the next 10 years and divert traffic there?

I have tried alternatives just for variety: I-77 to U.S. 421 east which wasn't bad, although a bit longer. I took that way back as far as Yadkinville, then up U.S. 601 to I-74 just to do it. Sunday was a nice fall day, so I accepted the longer time and took VA 8/NC 8 from Christiansburg to Winston-Salem.

It is pretty close to a 2-hour trip (or a bit more depending on day and traffic). I have learned (or reinforced) several things: some truckers are aholes who see no problem with cutting off an approaching car to micro-pass another truck, with one going 62 MPH and the passing truck doing 63 MPH while cars need to drop from 70+ on the uphill. There are several sections of I-77 that could use a third climbing lane to help with this problem. Wednesday is a bad day on I-81 and I-77 with trucks outnumbering cars (already knew this from other trips) but Saturday afternoons present a pretty wide-open road.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Well, I guess that's a downside to that area having all of its interstates replaced with newer bypasses a few mile away. Greensboro and Winston-Salem have the most miles of freeways and interstates in the whole state, just look at a map.

Bypasses and replacements of I-40, I-85, and new interstates like I-73,I-74, piece meal construction of loops around Greensboro and Winston might be more than be maintained, but in the short term, clearly the construction projects going on are the priority.

Please complain about the pavement to NCDOT

Dirt Roads

Quote from: VTGoose on November 11, 2020, 10:35:07 AM

Bruce in Blacksburg

You probably noticed a few sections of US-52 that have already been reconstructed to Interstate standards: specifically, the King interchange and the bridge across the Little Yadkin River just north of there.  I believe that NCDOT has a general practice of making upgrades [to freeways used mainly for out of state travel] only when conditions warrant the improvements.  This has been certainly true for the I-95 corridor.

VTGoose

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 14, 2020, 09:55:57 PM

You probably noticed a few sections of US-52 that have already been reconstructed to Interstate standards: specifically, the King interchange and the bridge across the Little Yadkin River just north of there.  I believe that NCDOT has a general practice of making upgrades [to freeways used mainly for out of state travel] only when conditions warrant the improvements.  This has been certainly true for the I-95 corridor.

Yeah, it's a bit of a schizophrenic highway with those sections plopped in the middle of substandard road and pavement.

I'm trying to figure out the construction around the Rural Hall exit. I assume that is where the bypass/beltway will connect/cross, but the construction and bridges on the west side of U.S. 52 are throwing me off. I can't figure out the configuration or route, especially based on the angle of the bridge pier and pilings just south of the exit.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Dirt Roads

Quote from: VTGoose on November 16, 2020, 09:44:22 AM
Yeah, it's a bit of a schizophrenic highway with those sections plopped in the middle of substandard road and pavement.

I'm trying to figure out the construction around the Rural Hall exit. I assume that is where the bypass/beltway will connect/cross, but the construction and bridges on the west side of U.S. 52 are throwing me off. I can't figure out the configuration or route, especially based on the angle of the bridge pier and pilings just south of the exit.

Bruce in Blacksburg

You are correct that this construction is the tie-in for the I-74 Bypass and eventually the I-274 Western Beltway.  It is common for NCDOT to design interchanges for the "straightline" route and connect offramps for the "exits".  My last time through was in March, but I'm pretty sure that the construction was leaning that way.  Thus, you should be seeing the new routing for I-74 going "down the middle" and veering off toward the southeast, with multi-lane exit ramps being built for the existing US-52 towards downtown Winston.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 16, 2020, 10:01:43 AM

Quote from: VTGoose on November 16, 2020, 09:44:22 AM

Bruce in Blacksburg

You are correct that this construction is the tie-in for the I-74 Bypass and eventually the I-274 Western Beltway.  It is common for NCDOT to design interchanges for the "straightline" route and connect offramps for the "exits".  My last time through was in March, but I'm pretty sure that the construction was leaning that way.  Thus, you should be seeing the new routing for I-74 going "down the middle" and veering off toward the southeast, with multi-lane exit ramps being built for the existing US-52 towards downtown Winston.

Yep, and the full proposed layout can be seen on OpenstreetMap. No idea how far along the construction is, though.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

VTGoose

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 16, 2020, 11:18:46 AM

Yep, and the full proposed layout can be seen on OpenstreetMap. No idea how far along the construction is, though.

Thanks, that helps. It looks like the grading for the road is in progress to the west of the current U.S. 52, with the bridges across the railroad track well underway (piers built for two bridges and one span section in place). There is one bridge pier and steel work next to it on the west side of the highway just south of NC 65 that looks like it is what will carry the new road over the new on-ramp from NC 65 to the south -- but it's hard to tell from the angle of the pier at this point.

I'll see what I can snag off my dash cam that might be useable and post it somewhere.

Bruce in Blacksburg

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^^
IIRC, I-285 will be extended north to this point along US 52 when the I-74 portion of the bypass is completed.  Will this require any upgrading of US 52 north of I-40 or is that segment considered adequate or, alternately, has been granted any sort of waiver for such? 

Roadsguy

Quote from: sparker on November 17, 2020, 12:20:17 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
IIRC, I-285 will be extended north to this point along US 52 when the I-74 portion of the bypass is completed.  Will this require any upgrading of US 52 north of I-40 or is that segment considered adequate or, alternately, has been granted any sort of waiver for such?

It needs upgrades. IIRC they have a total reconstruction/widening lined up, but it's not funded so it'll be a while.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

VTGoose

[gifv][/gifv]
Quote from: VTGoose on November 17, 2020, 09:22:25 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on November 16, 2020, 11:18:46 AM

Thanks, that helps. It looks like the grading for the road is in progress to the west of the current U.S. 52, with the bridges across the railroad track well underway (piers built for two bridges and one span section in place). There is one bridge pier and steel work next to it on the west side of the highway just south of NC 65 that looks like it is what will carry the new road over the new on-ramp from NC 65 to the south -- but it's hard to tell from the angle of the pier at this point.

I'll see what I can snag off my dash cam that might be useable and post it somewhere.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Here are two screen grabs from a recent trip -- one is the work at NC65 and the other is the bridge work over the railroad track.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-11-20-concord-diverging-diamond.aspx

QuoteCONCORD — N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews will be shifting traffic to a diverging diamond interchange where U.S. 29/601 meets Interstate 85 just after midnight Tuesday, weather permitting. The switch is part of the I-85 widening project from north of Exit 55 (N.C. 73) to north of Moose Road in Rowan County.

The diverging diamond interchange is a design that allows two directions of traffic to temporarily cross to the left side of the road, providing easier access to I-85. Similar interchanges have been in operation for several years along I-85 at Poplar Tent Road and N.C. 73.

To safely complete the traffic shift, U.S. 29/601 will be closed on both sides of the highway from midnight to 6 a.m. Wednesday. All ramps will remain open.

Southbound traffic will be detoured onto I-85 South to Exit 55 where drivers can exit, go over the bridge and access I-85 North back to Exit 58. Northbound traffic will be detoured onto I-85 North to Exit 60B (Dale Earnhardt Boulevard).Drivers will then go over the bridge to I-85 South, to return to Exit 58.

Motorists are encouraged to pay attention when approaching the work zone, follow posted detours and allow extra time to reach their destinations safely.

LM117

NCDOT will hold a virtual informational meeting on December 3 to give an update on the ongoing NC-12 "jug handle" bridge project in Rodanthe. Completion is currently expected in late 2021.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-11-24-december-rodanthe-meeting.aspx

sprjus4

Speed limits to increase on 2 Jacksonville roads
QuoteJACKSONVILLE, Onslow County – The speed limits on two busy Onslow County roads are about to increase, but officials say safety will not be impacted.

Next year, officials say the speed limit on Jacksonville Bypass will go up from 55 mph to 60, and the Jacksonville Parkway will increase from 45 to 50.

According to officials, the North Carolina Department of Transportation recently evaluated the speeds in the area and learned an increase would not jeopardize safety.

"The crash history on both of those roadways is extremely low, and it is very low in comparison to similar roadways throughout the state, so that's one of the things that made us feel a little more comfortable about increasing the speed limits," said Jacksonville Transportation Services Director Anthony Prinz. "There were not fatalities out there, and the number of injury crashes was very low as well."

City leaders say this decision comes after years of discussing the areas' speed limits, and the Jacksonville City Council made the decision Tuesday to put the new limits in place.
Just saw this article from last month today, though the changes do not go into effect until 2021.

The speed limit on the Jacksonville Bypass (US-17 / NC-24) will be increased from 55 mph to 60 mph, and the speed limit on the Jacksonville Parkway will be increased from 45 mph to 50 mph.

This bypass increase in particular is a welcome change, and one I suggested to NCDOT earlier in the year along with the many segments of the US-17 corridor throughout the state. Hopefully in the near future, the speed limit will also be increased to 60 mph along US-17 both north and south of Jacksonville. Back in 2019, NCDOT similarly increased the speed limit on the New Bern Bypass (US-17 / US-70), along with many non-limited-access sections of US-70 between Dover and Raleigh, from 55 mph to 60 mph.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 26, 2020, 02:57:10 PM
The speed limit on the Jacksonville Bypass (US-17 / NC-24) will be increased from 55 mph to 60 mph, and the speed limit on the Jacksonville Parkway will be increased from 45 mph to 50 mph.

It's odd that these stretches of US-17 have different names, since it is a single bypass.  However, I almost always only take the Jacksonville Bypass while using NC-24 on both sides of the bypass.  Maybe it's that NC-24 is a more important route than US-17.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.