News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Quote from: roadman65 on August 21, 2023, 11:45:49 PM
Also in Asheville on I-240 WB and US 19/23/74A where they split for I-240 to head south at Patton Ave, the US 74 A shield is not present along with US 19 & 23 for Patton Avenue.  Wondering if US 74A is on its way out as it's redundant to have it follow closely its parent Route while concurrent with two other mainline US designations.
https://www.aaroads.com/nc/240/i-240-w-exit-003-5.jpg

Courtesy AA Roads.
It seems that US 74A is sporadically signed west of I-240 Exit 5B (where US 74A and US 70 join I-240 WB).  Using Google Maps, I did see one EAST US 74A sign east of the Haywood/Patton intersection, however, I did not see one just north of I-40 Exit 44 (only has a NORTH US 19/23 sign) nor did I see a US 74A sign with US 19/23 on Patton west of the I-240 split.  Maybe US 74A should be truncated at the US 70/Tunnel Road intersection or at the I-40/240 interchange.

I do not see NC changing US 74A back to US 74.  US 74A is sort of the scenic or leisurely route between Asheville and Forest City.  US 74 has been designed as the quicker routing between Asheville and Charlotte as well as between Charlotte to Wilmington. 

US 74A was US 74 until the 1994 reroute of US 74 along the completed freeway from Forest City to I-26 and along I-26 to Exit 44 on I-40 (with the later 1998 reroute of US 74 along its current route along I-40 and the Exit 27 connector).  It would not be financially feasible to change the US 74A routing back to US 74—just leave the routings as they currently are.  US 74 in NC has become one of the more important highways in the state. It is no longer the single state US highway it once was.

As an aside, and not dealing with NC, with the 1987 extension of US 74 to Chattanooga, TN, TN should sign US 74 prominently from the NC/TN line to I-75 Exit 20, utilizing the US 64 Bypass around Cleveland, TN.  That is where US 74 should have its national western terminus–not at the I-75/I-24 interchange.  That is very pointless to have an unsigned concurrency for 18 miles, much less hardly sign US 74 in TN.  If the Chattanooga-Asheville corridor wants to be promoted, have improved signage of US 74 in TN.  If the extension was approved, show it. 

(Steps away from the podium)
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

^Just noticed something about the above post.  It was my 1717th post. 

Just an observation.  :D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ARMOURERERIC

I have become a regular driver on 74A between Rutherfordton and Lake Lure.  You DO NOT even want to have semis thinking that's an OK route to travel

Rothman

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 22, 2023, 08:00:15 AM
I have become a regular driver on 74A between Rutherfordton and Lake Lure.  You DO NOT even want to have semis thinking that's an OK route to travel
Oh my word, I was just there a couple of weeks ago.  Very true.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on August 21, 2023, 11:45:49 PM
Also in Asheville on I-240 WB and US 19/23/74A where they split for I-240 to head south at Patton Ave, the US 74 A shield is not present along with US 19 & 23 for Patton Avenue.  Wondering if US 74A is on its way out as it's redundant to have it follow closely its parent Route while concurrent with two other mainline US designations.
https://www.aaroads.com/nc/240/i-240-w-exit-003-5.jpg

Courtesy AA Roads.

US 74A has never been on the BGSs at this interchange from any direction back to at least 2008.  I don't recall if there were supplemental shields around this interchange when it was still US 74 prior to 1994.

US 74A was still posted west of this interchange as of March - https://goo.gl/maps/ZCjHajuCC9hEM8Zx8.  It is also posted in many places in downtown at I-240 interchanges.

Here is a 74A east shield at Exit 44 from July - https://goo.gl/maps/JAkzkJaWSrQF3J1E9; advance signage on US 19-23 west of Exit 44 from October - https://goo.gl/maps/3Ywy9hnmmb5HimW99

If US 74 from I-26 to I-85 becomes an interstate, they should consider decommissioning US 74.  They could then replace 74 from Hendersonville to Tennessee with US 64 (It's already US 64 TRUCK).  74A west of Bat Cave could become an extended NC 63.  US 64 from Franklin to Hendersonville could become US 176 or just NC 28 and NC 106.  US 178 would need to be extended somewhere.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/yWiCjm4uTXPZQeor5
They at least have a US 74 ALT shield in the gore of the WB I-240 split on the other side.

What irks me is that it still acknowledges that I-26 starts at the end of I-240 WB to begin its overall journey. Although I-26 west of Asheville still needs upgrades on US 19/23 to be interstate, it should get a future I-26 shield going EB on I-240 and the "TO"  on I-240 WB should be " EAST"  as that part is interstate quality for I-240 and to show that once in Tennessee you can go eventually West on I-26 as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wdcrft63

bob7374

Spotted on the AASHTO 2023 Spring Meeting thread, posted application results which include for NC (no interstates this time!) the relocation of US 15/501 around Pittsboro, partly on the US 64 Bypass. Link to all applications, Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/01c3c1d9wcymnneicavm9/Final-Report-USRN-May-2023-UPDATED-6-9-23-002.pdf?rlkey=fjmtfya01ail7ahuj2m551r69&dl=0

74/171FAN

I am honestly a bit sad that US 15/US 501 will be rerouted away from the Pittsboro Town Hall roundabout at US 64 BUS.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Evan_Th

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 12, 2023, 12:00:40 PM
I am honestly a bit sad that US 15/US 501 will be rerouted away from the Pittsboro Town Hall roundabout at US 64 BUS.

I'm sorry too.  I remember being in the back seat as a kid as we drove through that roundabout.  Ah, the memories.

cowboy_wilhelm

Included in the state budget that was passed today:

Rothman

Makes you wonder if Interstate designations that are destined to just be intrastate have measurable economic benefit.

90% reimburseable, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

Quote from: Rothman on September 23, 2023, 07:40:38 AM
Makes you wonder if Interstate designations that are destined to just be intrastate have measurable economic benefit.

US-74 between I-26 and I-85 is a major corridor that certainly warrants a full freeway - it is mostly complete, with the last pieces of the Shelby bypass either under construction or going under construction. Work will need to happen to upgrade some of the older freeway sections to modern standards by widening shoulders and replacing various bridges, which should happen regardless of interstate designation, IMO.

US-29 is a major north-south route between Greensboro and Washington. D.C. that arguably should be a freeway for its entire length. This specific section, Greensboro to Danville, is already mostly interstate-standard freeway, there is a roughly 6-7 mile gap just north of Greensboro that is still four lane divided highway with at-grade intersections. Perfectly reasonable to close those intersections.

fillup420

Quote from: Rothman on September 23, 2023, 07:40:38 AM

Thats the goal there. I'm convinced its the reason I-40 was moved back to the original routing through Greensboro. NCDOT realized they would lose the federal funding for that stretch since it would no longer be an interstate.

wdcrft63

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 22, 2023, 10:36:22 PM

The US 29 corridor was approved long ago (1997) as future I-785. The US 74 corridor is probably the Forum's favorite choice for the next NC interstate.

bob7374

Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 23, 2023, 05:23:23 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 22, 2023, 10:36:22 PM

The US 29 corridor was approved long ago (1997) as future I-785. The US 74 corridor is probably the Forum's favorite choice for the next NC interstate.
Apparently taking now more than 25 years to complete I-785 is not fast enough for some people...

NCDOT doesn't seem to be in a hurry. The Draft 2024-2033 STIP had ROW purchasing for the US 29 upgrade between Greensboro and Reidsville starting in 2028 and construction in 2031. The final document, however, split the project up into 2 parts. Now only the section from the Loop to NC 150 at Browns Summit is funded and to start construction in 2031, the remainder is funded for preliminary engineering only with start date unknown.

Interesting to note that whoever wrote the legislation doesn't know that US 29 is up to interstate standards from Reidsville to the Virginia line and that work is needed on US 29 in Guilford County as well.

wdcrft63

The legislation may encourage NCDOT to rethink its schedule. It would be interesting to know which legislator(s) put this section into the document,

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 23, 2023, 08:50:41 PM
The legislation may encourage NCDOT to rethink its schedule. It would be interesting to know which legislator(s) put this section into the document,

I don't think it's a coincidence that those two corridors go through the home counties of the Speaker of the House (Moore, Cleveland) and President pro tempore of the Senate (Berger, Rockingham).

rickmastfan67

https://www.jayski.com/2023/09/25/north-wilkesboro-to-retain-2024-all-star-race/
https://www.journalpatriot.com/news/new-state-budget-has-42m-for-wilkes/article_94cf3905-e717-5381-be58-401b83a96394.html

Quote- $3 million for a pedestrian bridge over U.S. 421 for events at North Wilkesboro Speedway. Elmore said efforts were made for a cloverleaf interchange for U.S. 421 and Fishing Creek Road, but this was deferred to the transportation improvement planning process

A possible 'cloverleaf' interchange for US-421 @ Fishing Creek Road..... Yikes.

I know, an interchange there would be great to keep North Wilkesboro Speedway alive after they just revived it, but I don't think a cloverleaf is the best option UNLESS they plan on adding C/D lanes to US-421.  Weaving there would be a complete nightmare on race weekends without C/D lanes.  Maybe a DDI would be a better option.

CanesFan27

Raleigh's Peace Street Bridge and Durham's Can Opener Bridge (located at South Gregson at West Peabody) are both low-clearance Norfolk Southern railroad overpasses that for decades have taken out numerous unsuspecting tractor-trailers.  Each bridge resides near their respective city's downtowns - Durham's Brightleaf District and Raleigh's Glenwood South.  Over the years, the two bridges have generated media attention and a social media following.

I take a look at both bridges and declare a winner:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/10/a-tale-of-two-cities-and-two-bridges.html

wdcrft63

Quote from: CanesFan27 on October 01, 2023, 11:12:15 AM
Raleigh's Peace Street Bridge and Durham's Can Opener Bridge (located at South Gregson at West Peabody) are both low-clearance Norfolk Southern railroad overpasses that for decades have taken out numerous unsuspecting tractor-trailers.  Each bridge resides near their respective city's downtowns - Durham's Brightleaf District and Raleigh's Glenwood South.  Over the years, the two bridges have generated media attention and a social media following.

I take a look at both bridges and declare a winner:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/10/a-tale-of-two-cities-and-two-bridges.html
Nothing will stop all these truck embarrassments but I suggest big red signs saying FAMOUS TRUCK-EATING BRIDGE on the bridges

epzik8

Drove through today going to the Myrtle Beach area, and I like the 587/795/264 shield assemblies in the Wilson area, but there is a glaring problem in that what is now exit 23 (795 split) is still marked as exit 43 on most BGS.

I did clinch I-140 today. The last time I passed through the Wilmington area, in mid-2017, 140 was still under construction west of 421.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

74/171FAN

^Not at the moment, US 74A is pretty well signed east of Downtown Asheville.  Though with a potential I-26 to I-85 interstate coming, it is very possible to see US 74 back on US 74A.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.