News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Books about highways

Started by texaskdog, June 06, 2014, 06:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Interstate 69 The Unfinished History of the Last Great American Highway

Anyone read this yet?  I just requested it from the library.

One of my favorites is "The Roads That Built America"

theline

It's an excellent, well-researched book. The author profiles the people who were instrumental in getting the road approved and those who opposed it, all the way from Indiana to Texas. I think he treats everyone fairly.

US81

I would agree. It was easy to read but usually had enough detail for me as a road-geek.

Alex4897

I believe I read "The Roads That Built America" two years ago for a term paper.
👉😎👉

Laura

I've been meaning to finish reading Interstate 69 The Unfinished History of the Last Great American Highway. I started it a few years ago, returned it to the library unfinished, and then found THAT EXACT SAME COPY of the book last summer for sale at the Baltimore Book Festival from one of the used book vendors.

Another great road book is The Big Roads by Earl Swift.

Ned Weasel

I'm currently reading Looking for America on the New Jersey Turnpike.  So far, it's the only book I've picked up that focuses exclusively on a highway.  I've read other books that focus on varying types of roads, however, such as Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us) and The Boulevard Book.  I spend a lot of my time reading books about urbanism, some of which discuss highways in varying contexts--Sprawltown by Richard Ingersoll and The Landscape Urbanism Reader come to mind.  The three books already mentioned in this thread are ones that I would probably like to read at some point, and a friend already recommended the Interstate 69 book to me.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

texaskdog

I just read an awful book called Interstate by Mark Rose (I hope he's not one of our forum people) just wasn't a good read. 

Roadrunner75

Quote from: stridentweasel on June 08, 2014, 02:18:40 PM
I'm currently reading Looking for America on the New Jersey Turnpike.  So far, it's the only book I've picked up that focuses exclusively on a highway.  I've read other books that focus on varying types of roads, however, such as Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us) and The Boulevard Book.  I spend a lot of my time reading books about urbanism, some of which discuss highways in varying contexts--Sprawltown by Richard Ingersoll and The Landscape Urbanism Reader come to mind.  The three books already mentioned in this thread are ones that I would probably like to read at some point, and a friend already recommended the Interstate 69 book to me.

How is "Traffic"?  I have the book and started reading it awhile ago, but like for many of the books in my pile my short attention span won out and I went on to something else.  Thinking of trying "The Roads that Built America" noted above...

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 08, 2014, 10:10:45 PM
How is "Traffic"?  I have the book and started reading it awhile ago, but like for many of the books in my pile my short attention span won out and I went on to something else.  Thinking of trying "The Roads that Built America" noted above...

Traffic is quite interesting and insightful, but I would agree that it requires some patience, because it looks at far more than the physical design of roads.  I'm sure some people on this board would consider it controversial, because it discusses induced demand and sympathizes with some so-called "road diet" ideas, but it does so in a level-headed, non-ideological manner, rather than using the emotionally charged fervor that certain advocacy groups tend to employ.  It's especially great if you're interested in some of the cultural aspects of roads and driving.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: stridentweasel on June 08, 2014, 10:48:21 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 08, 2014, 10:10:45 PM

Traffic is quite interesting and insightful, but I would agree that it requires some patience, because it looks at far more than the physical design of roads.  I'm sure some people on this board would consider it controversial, because it discusses induced demand and sympathizes with some so-called "road diet" ideas, but it does so in a level-headed, non-ideological manner, rather than using the emotionally charged fervor that certain advocacy groups tend to employ.  It's especially great if you're interested in some of the cultural aspects of roads and driving.

Thanks - I moved "Traffic" back to the top of the pile and started on it again.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.