News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

It has been independently confirmed by other members of this site.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

SGwithADD

Quote from: webny99 on September 12, 2019, 01:08:15 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 11, 2019, 09:06:53 PM
Speaking of I-690 near the Fair, I've long wondered... is there any reason why this ramp to I-690 east is closed?

I guess I wonder, does it really serve any purpose when the Fair isn't going?

Oddly enough, it looks open in satellite/3D view...

kalvado

Came across a pretty interesting license plate. Can you get more geeky than that?
https://imgur.com/a/6DYBy4p

KEVIN_224

Now if somebody in CT does "I84EX35"? (Exit 35 for CT Route 72 East, crossing from Plainville into New Britain.)

Michael

Quote from: seicer on September 12, 2019, 07:30:53 AM
What is with the ghost ramp along I-690:

1956 view showing the lack of ghost ramps but the location of a wide path that appears to be a former railroad grade (but no topo map can confirm this): https://www.historicaerials.com/location/43.10688868558635/-76.24458230353763/1956/16

1960 topo showing the ghost ramps: https://www.historicaerials.com/location/43.10471703398228/-76.24035867617145/T1960/16

1972 view showing the never finished ramps and what appears to be a single lane underpass: https://www.historicaerials.com/location/43.104727253843635/-76.24038577079773/1972/16

Are you referring to the wide light colored patch of land, or the more north-south dark line on the 1956 image?  The light line looks to be a field, but if you follow the dark line northbound, it curves to the west a bit north of the Thruway and if you keep going west, you can see old supports for a bridge over the current rail line.  Closer to Baldwinsville, it eventually merges with the current rail line.

I always thought the ramps were for a park that was going to be built but never was.  I found a Draft EIS a while ago for the project that moved the Thruway ramps to the west, and I skimmed through it, but I didn't see any mention of the ramps.  The single-lane underpass you mentioned is currently part of the trails along the lake.

On a side note, I thought it was just the Thruway interchange that was at-grade, but I see that State Fair Blvd/Van Vleck Rd and Walters Rd were at-grade too.

Quote from: SGwithADD on September 13, 2019, 11:26:49 PM
Speaking of I-690 near the Fair, I've long wondered... is there any reason why this ramp to I-690 east is closed?

Oddly enough, it looks open in satellite/3D view...

It's only open during the State Fair.  My best guess is that it's to help traffic at the ramps at NY 297/State Fair Blvd.  When the ramp is open, it makes a pair of merges fairly close together on I-690 east, so maybe the ramp is closed to eliminate the double merge.  Maybe NYSDOT thinks having a double merge on I-690 during the fair is less dangerous than having all the traffic get on I-690 at NY 297.  Google Earth shows the month and year the imagery was taken (it used to have the exact day), but it's being glitchy.  For a split second, it's showing 9/19 and I see the fair, so I'm assuming that's the same imagery you're seeing.

Quote from: vdeane on September 12, 2019, 09:14:10 PM

Aren't the Fair parking lots used for concerts in the Amphitheater?

The Orange Lot is the main amphitheater lot, but the Brown and Pink lots are used too.

webny99

A suggestion had come up in the "what would you do with 40 lane miles?" thread, regarding I-590 SB, where a through lane from I-490 WB (overtaking the existing lane contributed by I-490 EB) would provide massive relief during the AM peak hour. I had contacted NYSDOT with my suggestion, and below is the response I got, which was certainly not a definite "no"; I found it both positive and eye-opening:

Thank you for contacting the Department of Transportation regarding the I590/I490 interchange. As part of our project development process, we look for operational improvement opportunities, such as the one you have suggested below. We have reviewed your concept for changing the ramp configuration and estimate it would cost close to $1 Million for highway reconstruction to make the 490 WB ramp its own lane onto 590 SB and create a new ramp lane for 490 EB to 590 SB.  Since the interchange has space constraints and Interstate standards (i.e. taper lengths and shoulder widths) must be maintained, this concept would require construction of a new through lane from 490 WB and ramp lane from 490 EB. Furthermore, new embankment retaining structures, drainage and highway lighting relocation, and new guide rail installation would likely be needed.

We currently have a resurfacing project programmed for this interchange in 2021. We will evaluate this and other operational and safety improvements during design of this project and pursue implementing them if funding levels and regional priorities permit. Thanks for your suggestion and interest in improving the highway system.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on September 16, 2019, 12:55:54 PM
t was announced along with a bunch of other freight improvement projects (first entry for the Mid-Hudson Region).

I know I'm cross posting this from the "NY 17/I-86" thread, but I thought it would be relevant here as well, and just wanted to ask if anyone has any additional info on the below:

- $10.1 million toward construction of a new travel lane from the Interstate 90 interchange at Route 78 to Route 33 (Genesee Street) in the town of Cheektowaga (new)

What is this referring to? At first, I assumed it's the Thruway that's getting the new travel lane. But then I realized it could be referring to NY 78. Given the price tag, the fact that it's "freight-related", and my estimation of the priorities in the area, I'm certainly hoping it is indeed the Thruway!

If so, then what is going on with stretch from NY 33 to I-290? It must be westbound only that's getting a new lane? I certainly don't see a need for a sixth eastbound lane, but westbound could certainly use an auxiliary lane between Cleveland Dr. and NY 33 WB, with said lane exiting at NY 33 WB, and the fourth (current rightmost) lane continuing to NY 33 EB.

RobbieL2415

You would think that a freight improvement project would include rail transportation improvements, like maybe a new bridge across the Hudson south of Poughkeepsie so trains aren't stuck deciding between Spuyten Duyvil or the Selkirk bridge.  They're 100mi apart from each other.

02 Park Ave

The I-84 exit for US 9W in Newburgh still bears the number "10".
C-o-H

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on September 16, 2019, 02:49:57 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 16, 2019, 12:55:54 PM
t was announced along with a bunch of other freight improvement projects (first entry for the Mid-Hudson Region).

I know I'm cross posting this from the "NY 17/I-86" thread, but I thought it would be relevant here as well, and just wanted to ask if anyone has any additional info on the below:

- $10.1 million toward construction of a new travel lane from the Interstate 90 interchange at Route 78 to Route 33 (Genesee Street) in the town of Cheektowaga (new)

What is this referring to? At first, I assumed it's the Thruway that's getting the new travel lane. But then I realized it could be referring to NY 78. Given the price tag, the fact that it's "freight-related", and my estimation of the priorities in the area, I'm certainly hoping it is indeed the Thruway!

If so, then what is going on with stretch from NY 33 to I-290? It must be westbound only that's getting a new lane? I certainly don't see a need for a sixth eastbound lane, but westbound could certainly use an auxiliary lane between Cleveland Dr. and NY 33 WB, with said lane exiting at NY 33 WB, and the fourth (current rightmost) lane continuing to NY 33 EB.

Based on the description, I'm guessing NY 78.  NY 33 and Genesee Street are very much separate where they cross the Thruway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on September 16, 2019, 02:30:13 PM
A suggestion had come up in the "what would you do with 40 lane miles?" thread, regarding I-590 SB, where a through lane from I-490 WB (overtaking the existing lane contributed by I-490 EB) would provide massive relief during the AM peak hour. I had contacted NYSDOT with my suggestion, and below is the response I got, which was certainly not a definite "no"; I found it both positive and eye-opening:

Thank you for contacting the Department of Transportation regarding the I590/I490 interchange. As part of our project development process, we look for operational improvement opportunities, such as the one you have suggested below. We have reviewed your concept for changing the ramp configuration and estimate it would cost close to $1 Million for highway reconstruction to make the 490 WB ramp its own lane onto 590 SB and create a new ramp lane for 490 EB to 590 SB.  Since the interchange has space constraints and Interstate standards (i.e. taper lengths and shoulder widths) must be maintained, this concept would require construction of a new through lane from 490 WB and ramp lane from 490 EB. Furthermore, new embankment retaining structures, drainage and highway lighting relocation, and new guide rail installation would likely be needed.

We currently have a resurfacing project programmed for this interchange in 2021. We will evaluate this and other operational and safety improvements during design of this project and pursue implementing them if funding levels and regional priorities permit. Thanks for your suggestion and interest in improving the highway system.

Congrats! You're now valued.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on September 16, 2019, 08:50:22 PM
Based on the description, I'm guessing NY 78.  NY 33 and Genesee Street are very much separate where they cross the Thruway.

On the other hand, there's no way a mere 1/2 mile of new pavement could cost $10.1 million. Even $1 million sounds steep for that short stretch of NY 78.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on September 17, 2019, 11:00:30 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 16, 2019, 08:50:22 PM

On the other hand, there's no way a mere 1/2 mile of new pavement could cost $10.1 million. Even $1 million sounds steep for that short stretch of NY 78.
It's probably part of a wider project.  I don't think I've ever heard of a widening being done on its own in NY - typically there's significant rehabilitation/reconstruction accompanying it.  Think of Jefferson Road.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

That section of NY 78 needs a rehab. Much of it to the north was rehabbed ~10 years ago. There would be a new bridge involved and probably some property taking at the south end of the project. I could totally see it running $10 million or more.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Sad day for the Buffalo Skyway. NYS has announced it will be transformed into a linear park with no freeway compliment eastward or tunnel to I-190.

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Roadgeek Adam

This is going to be a long time from actually happening. There will be lawsuits. Lots of lawsuits. I for one was hoping for the road/rail hybrid.

That said, if it goes through as proposed, there is going to be a ton of traffic headaches.
Adam Seth Moss

Buffaboy

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 17, 2019, 02:36:40 PM
This is going to be a long time from actually happening. There will be lawsuits. Lots of lawsuits. I for one was hoping for the road/rail hybrid.

That said, if it goes through as proposed, there is going to be a ton of traffic headaches.

I too wanted the road/rail hybrid. It's a regressive decision.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Beltway

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 17, 2019, 02:15:42 PM
Sad day for the Buffalo Skyway. NYS has announced it will be transformed into a linear park with no freeway compliment eastward or tunnel to I-190.

So they are going to spend $600 million for ... nothing?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadgeek Adam

$600 million to get rid of the Skyway as a functional road/bridge. Exit 7 on I-190 southbound will cease to exist.

Welcome to a world where NY 198 has been neutered and the Skyway will become a park........and no upgrade in public transit.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 17, 2019, 11:31:30 PM
$600 million to get rid of the Skyway as a functional road/bridge. Exit 7 on I-190 southbound will cease to exist.

Welcome to a world where NY 198 has been neutered and the Skyway will become a park........and no upgrade in public transit.
Who needs Buffalo when we've got Toronto as the regional economic driver?

WNYroadgeek

I can't help but wonder. If they do end up going through with removing the Skyway (which itself probably isn't the best idea; it would remove a major route to/from the Southtowns), how will they realign NY 5?

empirestate

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 16, 2019, 07:46:45 PM

Speaking of exit 10, ever notice how lane striping doesn't permit any traffic from east of Beacon to use it? The right lane of the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge is formed by the ramp entering from NY 9D, and has a solid/dashed line that allows merging out of but not into it. West of the bridge it becomes just a solid line, reinforced by "Stay in Lane"  signs, until after you pass exit 10S.

So what's the "official"  route for east-of-Beacon traffic bound for Newburgh/US 9W? :-)

iPhone

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on September 18, 2019, 07:53:03 AM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 16, 2019, 07:46:45 PM

Speaking of exit 10, ever notice how lane striping doesn't permit any traffic from east of Beacon to use it? The right lane of the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge is formed by the ramp entering from NY 9D, and has a solid/dashed line that allows merging out of but not into it. West of the bridge it becomes just a solid line, reinforced by "Stay in Lane"  signs, until after you pass exit 10S.

So what's the "official"  route for east-of-Beacon traffic bound for Newburgh/US 9W? :-)

iPhone
The street view shows a short section west of the bridge with a dashed line before it becomes a solid line, but whether construction has changed that since, I don't know.  Another question would be, what is the rationale for restricting lane changes on the bridge?  I could see having that striping for a short distance, but not the whole way across!

The Ghostbuster

After Interstate 84's sequential-to-mileage-based exit renumbering is completed, and the Hutchinson River Parkway converts next year, are there any other roads in New York that have a set date for the same conversion? Or do all the rest of the freeways/tollways and parkways in New York State have no conversion date set yet?

PHLBOS

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 18, 2019, 02:08:28 PM
After Interstate 84's sequential-to-mileage-based exit renumbering is completed, and the Hutchinson River Parkway converts next year, are there any other roads in New York that have a set date for the same conversion? Or do all the rest of the freeways/tollways and parkways in New York State have no conversion date set yet?
IMHO, I-684 would be a logical candidate for such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.