Regional Boards > Southeast

SC: I-95 widening projects

(1/13) > >>

afguy:
IMO, long overdue...

--- Quote ---That initial estimate includes widening about 190 miles of the interstate to three lanes in each direction from the state’s border with Georgia to the border with North Carolina, replacing bridges along the interstate and improving interchanges.

But it could be years before the state has enough money to pay for the widening project. The project also would have to rank high enough on Transportation Department priority lists to be fixed.

I-95 bottlenecks in South Carolina, especially during high-trafficked holiday weekends. The three-lane road in Georgia shrinks to two lanes entering the Palmetto State.

“A project of that magnitude, first of all, would be unprecedented,” Transportation Department Secretary Christy Hall said at the annual meeting of the S.C. Alliance to Fix Our Roads, a group of road contractors and consultants who want more money spent on road-building projects. The widening project likely would be completed in segments and phases, she said.

Federal money eventually could pay for part of the project.

“I do believe the (President Donald) Trump administration is serious about an infrastructure program,” Hall said.

The Transportation Department is in the process of updating its priority list for interstate improvements. It plans to unveil that list in the coming months, Hall said.

Rural parts of I-95 are included in the Transportation Department’s $50 million-a-year plan to make rural roads safer. That plan, unveiled last week, includes spending money to re-paint pavement markings, installing rumble strips to alert drivers they are near the road’s edge and widening road shoulders to give drivers time to correct if they run off the road.

However, the agency has said it needs added state or federal dollars to pay for those improvements.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article128186934.html#storylink=cpy
--- End quote ---
http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article128186934.html

AlexandriaVA:
Based on everything I've heard about the new Administration's road funding, get ready for the South Carolina Turnpike.

plain:

--- Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 23, 2017, 07:46:24 PM ---Based on everything I've heard about the new Administration's road funding, get ready for the South Carolina Turnpike.

--- End quote ---
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

jwolfer:

--- Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 23, 2017, 07:46:24 PM ---Based on everything I've heard about the new Administration's road funding, get ready for the South Carolina Turnpike.

--- End quote ---
I think any large freeway projects anywhere in the us from now on will be tolled with very few exceptions

LGMS428

AlexandriaVA:

--- Quote from: plain on January 23, 2017, 08:14:47 PM ---

--- End quote ---
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

--- End quote ---

I don't follow. To wit:

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/315110-ryan-offers-picture-of-private-public-spending-in-trumps-infrastructure

--- Quote ---President-elect Donald Trump’s massive infrastructure package should have $40 of private-sector spending for every $1 of public spending, according to House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.)
--- End quote ---

Private money's gonna wanna recoup its investment, and:

--- Quote ---There has been mounting concern, particularly among Democrats and rural Republicans, that relying on private financing would only attract projects that can recoup investment costs through tolls or user fees.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version