Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Songs that you thought were a lot older

<< < (28/28)

bing101:

--- Quote from: Takumi on October 07, 2021, 04:40:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: bing101 on August 15, 2021, 09:49:02 PM ---
John Mayer kicks off early 1990's retro sounding songs. This time retro early 1990's soft rock!

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVUiqTN6eY
--- End quote ---
I was seriously expecting Daryl Hall to start singing at some point.

--- End quote ---
I was thinking if you remove John Mayer's voice off the song and it was only instrumental I would have guessed Dave Koz in the 1990's and an instrumental song of the era.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MkLukjqW2Y

ethanhopkin14:
For me:

"American Pie" by Don McLean always felt like it came out in the late 70s, like 1979, because it was still in very heavy radio rotation in the early to mid 80s, and these were the days before defined timeline radio stations (like Classic Rock!!!).  Later I learned it was much older, being released in 1970, which made more sense when I really started to understand the references in the song being about the 60s which was way more appropriate for 1970 than 1979. 

The reverse:
"Tears of a Clown" by Smokie Robinson I always thought was a very early 60s song, but came out in 1970. 

I will state the same as I have read a lot in this thread:  I am also perplexed by all the songs from the 80s and 90s people thought were 60s songs.  Yes, there were a lot of songs that intentionally sounded like they were 60s songs (mainly because that was the time to be nostalgic about the 60s), and the 80s had several 60s covers, but the recording quality from the 80s was a dead giveaway.  Also, not to mention just the style is night and day.  The 80s (and even all the way up to today) was all about polished sounds, particularly drums.  Equipment just got so much better.  I mean, there are a lot of 80s albums I would think were recorded yesterday if not for the fact that I remember the date the album was released ("Graceland" by Paul Simon) and just overall how dated the music sounds.  That's how good the quality was then.  The 60s had a lot of static noise in the recordings and drum sounds were much more loose like "garage band" quality.  That's because in the 60s, they had worse equipment than what you can pick up at Walmart today.  I mean, before the song starts, and you can hear the back tracking and tape noise.  You know immediately which era the song was recorded in.

Now "Listen to the Music" by the Doobie Brothers is a rare example.  That is the best recording in music history (not the song, the recording quality).  It is so clean and polished. 

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on October 15, 2021, 03:25:58 PM ---For me:
Now "Listen to the Music" by the Doobie Brothers is a rare example.  That is the best recording in music history (not the song, the recording quality).  It is so clean and polished.

--- End quote ---

In terms of being clean and polished, a different band from that general era got rave reviews for the slickness of the production. I'm referring, of course, to Boston. One has to wonder just how clean the sound would have been if they'd had digital mastering in the late 1970s when that album came out.

I remember when CDs had a label referring to how the music was recorded. AAD, ADD, and DDD were the most common ones. I remember when CDs were marketed as "a full digital recording," but I can't remember what the first DDD CD I owned was. There were a few out there denoted DAD, which didn't make a whole lot of sense. Why record in digital and master in analog before converting again to digital for distribution?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version