News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Should I create a Google My Maps of points of interest and/or users' locations?

Started by hotdogPi, April 02, 2023, 10:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I just saw this in another forum I'm on, so I was thinking of creating a Google My Maps, editable by anyone, where people could put the following things:

1. User locations. They can be off by a few miles, or with a polygon instead of a point, for those wary of sharing their exact location. This would allow people who are close to meet up on road trips or even without leaving the area like I've done with SectorZ. It would also show which forum regions are overrepresented and underrepresented.
2. Road projects that are currently ongoing.
3. Future roadmeets.

Labels can have different icons, so they can be distinguished.

I can create a lot of it now, but I need to know if this is something we want first.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

I'm neutral.  Definitely not against it and would look at it out of curiosity, but wouldn't be a huge participant in editing it, I don't think.

One issue with points of interest maps is they don't have a means of real tiers between major and minor attractions, which would be tricky anyway, since that's all subjective.  Still, it's a reason why the Roadtrippers app and site haven't caught on.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jlam

I'm with Rothman on this one. I'm not against it, but I don't have much to contribute. I could see it being a helpful resource for some.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on April 02, 2023, 10:26:49 AM
I'm neutral.  Definitely not against it and would look at it out of curiosity, but wouldn't be a huge participant in editing it, I don't think.

One issue with points of interest maps is they don't have a means of real tiers between major and minor attractions, which would be tricky anyway, since that's all subjective.  Still, it's a reason why the Roadtrippers app and site haven't caught on.
I just looked at that site earlier today, and it appears that the map does differentiate.  Major sites have large icons and appear even when zoomed out.  Minor ones are no bigger than business listings on Google Maps and require one to be zoomed in a fair amount to appear.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

davewiecking

I think the data in #2 would be interesting, as long as it doesn't include every pedestrian crossing or roundabout installation project. But i'd be worried it might morph into a map of every project in the past 5 years, because nobody removes projects when they're wrapped up.

vdeane

Honestly, recently completed projects and past roadmeets would be interesting layers too.  It would just be important to ensure that things moved from the current/future layer to past layer as needed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

A user here once created an account of user locations and was criticized for invasion of privacy. The thread ended up being removed. So I would suggest if you were to do that, to only do it with users that opted in to being displayed on the map.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2023, 05:53:01 PM
A user here once created an account of user locations and was criticized for invasion of privacy.
This sounds like something I would do, but it wasn't me.

Anyway, I think that this is a cool idea. It could be useful. Not sure how much I have to contribute, but I can contribute what I can.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

I've created the official link to get started: my location, Roadgeekteen's location, four projects (showing different icons for roads and bridges), a future meet, and a past meet.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1JbMikdbP10q9FxutbgATlmcGqgG0_VM&ll=31.935952098474072%2C-104.5675398556863&z=4
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on April 02, 2023, 08:44:46 PM
I've created the official link to get started: my location, Roadgeekteen's location, four projects (showing different icons for roads and bridges), a future meet, and a past meet.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1JbMikdbP10q9FxutbgATlmcGqgG0_VM&ll=31.935952098474072%2C-104.5675398556863&z=4
Keep in mind that I spend about half the year at college in Amherst, MA, as well.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on April 02, 2023, 08:44:46 PM

A good start.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Hunty2022

I'm gonna sleep, and put a marker for my general location, and a US 29/33 road project in the morning (if I'm allowed to add it)
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

LilianaUwU

I'm not doxxing myself, especially when a certain hateful website has attempted to do it for a while.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

JoePCool14

I think this is a neat idea. I think it's fine if we only include people who want to be included, and that we don't use exact locations.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kirbykart

You can add in my location. Put the marker over "New Albion". It is south of Buffalo. It's also pretty small so you might need to zoom in a lot.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.