Regional Boards > International Highways

Traveling from West Germany to West Berlin

(1/3) > >>

GreenLanternCorps:
Found the below video on an other forum.  It is a Royal Military Police Video about how to travel from West Germany to West Berlin for British military personnel.  Appears to be from the late 70's or 80's.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1xvtLV8Xw

cabiness42:
I have an uncle who was a civilian US Army employee based in Frankfurt. We took a family vacation to Europe in the summer of 1990. It was after the "fall" of the Berlin wall but before the reunification in October 1990. We took a train through East Germany to West Berlin for a day. There were entrepreneurs renting out hammers and chisels, and I got to chisel myself a few pieces of the wall.

kphoger:
When I was in high school, my family and I traveled around Germany in a Fiat RV with the family of a foreign exchange student we had hosted the year before.  His dad was a longtime road-tripper, and he told us the story of having driven from West Germany to East Germany back during Communism.  He said that crossing the border took 48 hours, and the border inspection process included physically removing the seats from his car.

Road Hog:
I drove about an hour and a half into East Germany shortly after reunification. It was amazing how poor everything was: the autobahn had an 80 kph speed limit because it was so rough and bumpy. And there were no service stations to speak of. That's why I turned around and didn't go farther I didn't know whether I could even get Bleifrei in the East.

I would love to go back today and see how everything in the East has changed.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: Road Hog on July 21, 2021, 05:50:29 PM ---I would love to go back today and see how everything in the East has changed.

--- End quote ---

If you don't notice the signs letting you know you're entering a different state, you won't even realize you're passing from West to East of vice versa.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version