News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Have you ever been on television?

Started by hbelkins, July 22, 2021, 02:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrouse

I was interviewed by KRON 4 in San Francisco a few years ago when I was there for the Chinese New Year parade. 

I was interviewed by KXTV 10 here in Sacramento when I took my son out to the local dam to see a bunch of the spillway gates opened for the first time in several years.  I don't think my interview ever made it to air.

I've never been certain but I might have made it onto local TV news a few other times when I have performed the national anthem at the annual Caltrans Worker Memorial.

It's not TV but if you go onto Caltrans' official YouTube page you will find a video where I was interviewed talking about our efforts to give contractors more time on the highways to complete roadwork.

CNGL-Leudimin

I've made two appearances on TV in the last year (please note that in European broadcasting call signs aren't used, here in Spain they would have started with EA), courtesy of having an autism spectrum disorder and good speech abilities :sombrero:. Both were in public television, the first was in regional network Aragon TV as I had reviewed a book about a girl with an ASD (the book itself has superimposed images, and by using colored glasses one can see one picture or the other), the second was in the national network TVE for the Asperger's Awareness Day (A misnomer for me, as I don't use the term "Asperger's" anymore). In the latter they mislabelled my first family name, I pointed that out and they corrected it.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bruce

I once asked a question to Governor Jay Inslee during a transportation forum that was aired on KING-TV.

And I've testified in a few state legislature committee hearings, which are always televised on TVW.

A few cameo appearances at transit events with my camera in hand as well.

Maybe someday I'll be interviewed about something!

DandyDan

When I was a kid in the Twin Cities, I remember being on some talk show one of the stations did. They interviewed my mother for something.

It wasn't exactly me, but when I did my courier job in Omaha, I got into an accident just as morning rush hour began, so they were showing the company van I had an accident with on all the channels.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

SectorZ

Outside of being on NESN for 3.5 hrs once because I sat behind home plate at a Red Sox game (and whoever in Tampa as well got to watch it on their broadcast), nothing much for me.

hotdogPi

Yes, but doing so would reveal who I am. I've been on twice in two separate events, although the news agency in the second one tried to connect it to the first despite being not that much related (the first made national news; the second local only).

However, I'm not sure if I was actually on screen the first time, as I was young. My mother definitely was, though.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

bandit957

Back when I was 14, a major presidential candidate visited Cincinnati. Me and my brother went over to see him at his campaign stop at a local market. When the local news covered it, you could barely see my head in the background.

I taped it off TV, but later my mom recorded over it with some dumb movie.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jp the roadgeek

A couple times.  First was in a studio audience for a Hartford Whalers postgame show.  I correctly answered the trivia question and won a Sony Watchman.  The 2nd was during the 1990 Greater Hartford Open (now the Travelers Championship).  As the winner walked up the 18th fairway and the CBS camera zoomed in on the gallery, I was the first person shown standing up. 

I'm sure the back of my head was caught on camera numerous times, as our Whalers season tickets were 3rd row right next to the bench. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

frankenroad

I was in an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives but only in the background.   I still see that episode occasionally (it was filmed in 2014).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

triplemultiplex

Quote from: OCGuy81 on July 22, 2021, 07:11:27 PM
My sister and I were on a Nickelodeon game show back in the 90s called Legends of the Hidden Temple. Out in the first round.  Oh well, that's my 15 minutes.

Oh, you win this thread!  Legends of the Hidden Temple was totally boss.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Not that I'm aware of. I bet the simplest way to ensure that you are clearly visible on television is to sit in the first row right behind home plate at a baseball game. That's expensive though.

OCGuy81

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 23, 2021, 05:00:39 PM
My sister and I were on a Nickelodeon game show back in the 90s called Legends of the Hidden Temple. Out in the first round.  Oh well, that's my 15 minutes.

Ha ha! Thanks.  We were the purple parrots.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: OCGuy81 on July 23, 2021, 05:30:02 PM

Been interviewed a few times.

1st time was in 1996 or 1997 as Madison news station was doing a story on one of the Badger Basketball players from my old high School.

2nd time was around 2004 or 2005 as apartment complex I lived in had a fire.

3rd time in January of 2011 as was interviewed at sports bar during Packers superbowl playoff run
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

kphoger

Quote from: gr8daynegb on July 23, 2021, 05:51:08 PM

Quote from: OCGuy81 on July 23, 2021, 05:30:02 PM

Been interviewed a few times.

1st time was in 1996 or 1997 as Madison news station was doing a story on one of the Badger Basketball players from my old high School.

3rd time in January of 2011 as was interviewed at sports bar during Packers superbowl playoff run

What does that have to do with Nickelodeon?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Ain't nobody got time for that!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 06:46:26 PM

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Is it bad that I feel a twinge of civic pride every time I see someone use that meme? (It originated from a KFOR newscast, because if it was going to come from one of the three OKC news outlets, of course it'd be KFOR.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

gr8daynegb

I clicked quote instead of reply....oops
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Flint1979

Yeah a few times. Saginaw's Bringer Inn was always a hotspot for WNEM TV 5 to stop and interview people at.

CoreySamson

No, but I'm in at least 30 Youtube videos across two, maybe three channels (and I don't have a Youtube channel).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

CapeCodder

Yes, it was during the June 2008 floods on the Mississippi in Clarksville, MO. I was interviewed by KTVI.

NJRoadfan

Yes, 1998, on the now defunct ZDTV. B-roll footage when Leo Laporte and Kate Botello of the Screensavers were on tour and doing autograph signings.

ozarkman417

Not yet, as far as I know.

My school district recently made the decision to mandate masks for this upcoming school year (my senior year). Naturally, the local news stations would use footage of kids at school while reporting this. However, I quickly noticed a flaw in the local NBC station's usage of footage: It is over seven years old. The footage contains students that are now seniors, but shown as fifth graders. How do I know this? I was quick to spot an old friend, and my brother adjacent to him in one of the school's fifth grade classrooms. The school pictured, my Alma mater, had two classes per grade. I was in the other class, which was not filmed. The station initially used the footage for a story that was about how the school district gave every student at the school a Chromebook laptop for school use for the first time, so its possible that those kids may have been on the local station twice. I was, however, featured in the school district's video explaining said program.

english si

When I was 9 or 10, my primary school head was interviewed about something, and me and some friends came out of the changing rooms talking. You could hear us in the background of the interview when it aired the next morning.

And when I was 18, my back was in some b-roll footage of an event that they did a piece on.
Quote from: thspfc on July 23, 2021, 05:19:56 PM
Not that I'm aware of. I bet the simplest way to ensure that you are clearly visible on television is to sit in the first row right behind home plate at a baseball game. That's expensive though.
Had a classmate who pretended to be sick one day to go watch Wimbledon on Centre Court. He didn't quite have that quality of seat, but he was clearly visible throughout a lot of the coverage - including the highlights. Teacher decided to poke fun at him about it*, rather than have a go at him - he was 17 and not a trouble maker and it was after that years exams with him not continuing the subject so the stakes were low.

*"While being ill is horrible, at least the tennis was on so you could had something good to watch on TV." "Glad to hear your Tennisitis has cleared up", etc.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 23, 2021, 03:42:01 AM
I've made two appearances on TV in the last year (please note that in European broadcasting call signs aren't used, here in Spain they would have started with EA),

Actually, the first couple of letters in the call sign for Spain could be somewhere in the ranges EA-EH or AM-AO, although domestic regulations could restrict that further.

(A side-effect of being into ham radio: you tend to be familiar with ITU prefix ranges....)

CNGL-Leudimin

Good to know. However the only known broadcasting call signs in Spain started with EA (save for Radio Nacional de España which used an otherwise Russian call sign in order to use their initials: RNE). For example Radio Huesca, part of the SER network, used to be EAJ-22.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.