News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

David Lee Roth announced retirement

Started by roadman65, October 03, 2021, 10:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Will he continue to work part time as an EMT?

hbelkins

David Lee Roth is a clown (and I mean that in a good way; he's a rock and roll showman).

Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons are jerks.

It's funny how Kiss and Van Halen have been intertwined. Kiss, particularly Simmons, helped VH get started. Eddie was in the running to replace Ace Frehley before they finally decided on Vinnie Vincent. I've seen an illustration of the proposed face paint for Eddie. Kiss is now on their second or third "farewell" tour and DLR had been opening for them, until Kiss (which now consists of Gene and Paul and two contract musicians) dropped him. Both Gene and Paul made not-so-veiled comments about how DLR is washed up. He may not be able to sing the way he did when VH was in its prime -- think of how Geddy Lee's voice deteriorated over the years -- but at least he was still out there having fun.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

If you ever want a good laugh, watch one of the cellphone videos of KISS bandmates yelling at an audience member for shining a laser pointer near them.

bwana39

DLR was quite a showman through his twenties and thirties. I saw him in 1986 and it was good. I saw him again in 1995 and this poor guy's voice was terrible.  Maybe like Sammy Hagar said after the Sam and Dave tour ended he smoked too many cigarettes....
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: roadman65 on October 03, 2021, 10:56:44 AM
Considering Eddie died, I would think that you have no choice.

Van Halen died with Eddie, and his son and brother were well-prepared for it.  Without Eddie, there is no Van Halen. 

Roth and Sammy Hagar are "collateral damage."  At least Hagar has a solo career to fall back on.  Roth has been a nonentity since the mid 1980s.  It's nice that he has been able to contribute to the public good as a paramedic.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

hbelkins

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on October 03, 2021, 11:58:53 PM

Van Halen died with Eddie, and his son and brother were well-prepared for it.  Without Eddie, there is no Van Halen. 

Roth and Sammy Hagar are "collateral damage."  At least Hagar has a solo career to fall back on.  Roth has been a nonentity since the mid 1980s.  It's nice that he has been able to contribute to the public good as a paramedic.

Are you kidding? Roth's first two solo albums were great. He out-Van Halen'ed Van Halen by hooking up with Steve Vai on guitar and Billy Sheehan on bass. He must have provoked Van Halen enough to retaliate for his album "Eat 'Em and Smile" with the title "OU812," widely said to mean, "Oh, you ate one too?"

bwana39

bwana39

Quote from: hbelkins on October 04, 2021, 09:54:21 AM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on October 03, 2021, 11:58:53 PM

Are you kidding? Roth's first two solo albums were great. He out-Van Halen'ed Van Halen by hooking up with Steve Vai on guitar and Billy Sheehan on bass. He must have provoked Van Halen enough to retaliate for his album "Eat 'Em and Smile" with the title "OU812," widely said to mean, "Oh, you ate one too?"

It is easy to like Sam. When he lost his voice at the last Texxas Jam, he promised a free concert (that like to have killed Eddie). With Chickenfoot he was available. He and Joe Satriani were literally out in the foyer before the show in Grand Prairie. We keep hearing about how VanHalen conquered the stage at Texas Jam, it was Sammy who came to the Farewell to a Texas Summer and did wheelies on a motorcycle and ran and did running flips  on the big speaker stacks.(He ran along the stage to the stacks and then ran up the side of them and flipped off the side all while playing his CORDED guitar.)

At the '79 Texxas Jam Eddie set up his amps and guitar set-up. Mike set up his stuff. Alex built his drums and set up the mics for the drums. Eddie and Mike helped the sole roady they had (very possibly Pace Concerts staff) set up the microphones and monitors. Dave didn't show up until it was go time. Eddie even did DLR's mic check.  I thought at 18 that Dave was a prick and Sammy was fun!

BTW I was at the first concert for the 5150 tour! Sammy scared the hell out of Eddie. Ed thought they were going to fall off the catwalk and go splat on the concrete floor in Hirsch Memorial Coliseum.

hbelkins

I actually preferred Hagar's solo stuff and his other projects (Montrose, HSAS, Chickenfoot, and the new Sammy Hagar & The Circle) to his work with Van Halen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.