News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Macy’s Planning to Go Forward With Store Closures

Started by kevinb1994, November 18, 2021, 02:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/18/macys-store-closures-10-more-to-be-announced-in-january.html

There is still a possibility that the company will take another look at its portfolio and change its mind about when the next round of store closures will occur.

I-39

They are still trying to find a strategy eh?

I seriously wonder how any of the traditional department store chains are going to stay relevant going forward. Amazon, Walmart and Target seem to be eating everyone's lunch.

Scott5114

I mean, it's pretty easy. Offer something that Amazon, Walmart, and Target don't: customer service. Problem is that costs money, and the current crop of CEOs would rather wallow around bitching and moaning that they're losing $500 instead of paying $100 on staff.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bwana39

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 19, 2021, 03:06:44 PM
I mean, it's pretty easy. Offer something that Amazon, Walmart, and Target don't: customer service. Problem is that costs money, and the current crop of CEOs would rather wallow around bitching and moaning that they're losing $500 instead of paying $100 on staff.

I agree that customer service sells to some customers. The problem is Macy's price point is so far above even Kohl's that only the most fashion conscious people would bother.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

OCGuy81

I saw recently that Macy's is partnering with Toys R Us starting in 2022. Interesting how a company on life support is trying to revive a dead one.

webny99

Recruiting is also a challenge for almost all companies right now. It's a great time to look for a better job, but not a good time to be hiring.

"Customer service" is also constantly evolving in its definition. Things like Amazon Prime free delivery are arguably more important/valuable as a customer service tool than anything a store can offer for in person customers. And plenty of people, including me, might get turned off by the thought of someone trying to sell them something at a store like Macy's.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 19, 2021, 03:06:44 PM

My wife's experience with Macy's "customer service" earlier this week doesn't even rise to the level of Walmart.

Macy's is going to have find a niche for people who just have to have certain brands of clothing. The only thing that keeps me from shopping for clothing at Walmart is that they often don't have items big enough to fit me. If was a normal size, unless I needed to get real dress clothing like a suit or a sportcoat, I probably wouldn't shop anywhere but Walmart or whichever retailer was cheaper.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

If Macy's ever goes out of business, who will sponsor the Thanksgiving Day Parade?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

DenverBrian

Quote from: Henry on December 10, 2021, 12:27:34 PM
If Macy's ever goes out of business, who will sponsor the Thanksgiving Day Parade?
If you've followed the whole naming rights biz for stadiums in the last two decades, you'll know that there will be dozens if not scores of companies lining up to take over that parade should Macy's fall. The Akamai Thanksgiving Day Parade? The Meta Thanksgiving Day Parade? The Go Daddy Thanksgiving Day Parade? None are beyond the realm of possibility, unfortunately.

jakeroot

Quote from: DenverBrian on December 10, 2021, 12:30:21 PM

If you've followed the whole naming rights biz for stadiums in the last two decades, you'll know that there will be dozens if not scores of companies lining up to take over that parade should Macy's fall. The Akamai Thanksgiving Day Parade? The Meta Thanksgiving Day Parade? The Go Daddy Thanksgiving Day Parade? None are beyond the realm of possibility, unfortunately.

The most important part of the parade is when it stops at Manhattan's Herald Square, in front of Macy's flagship store. If Macy's can no longer afford to operate/manage the parade, the parade would likely end permanently. It's simply too closely tied to the company, especially given the routing.

GaryV

As soon as Art Van went under, Gardner White started sponsoring the Detroit "America's Thanksgiving Parade".  Just swap one furniture store for another.

Brandon

Quote from: GaryV on December 10, 2021, 01:15:52 PM
As soon as Art Van went under, Gardner White started sponsoring the Detroit "America's Thanksgiving Parade".  Just swap one furniture store for another.

And that used to be Hudson's sponsoring it at one time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

GaryV

SectorZ

Or worse, Amazon buys the naming rights and we get Climate Pledge Thanksgiving Day parade...

kevinb1994

Quote from: SectorZ on December 10, 2021, 01:48:37 PM

Or worse, Amazon buys the naming rights and we get Climate Pledge Thanksgiving Day parade...
More likely than not, with Amazon having attempting to advertise on the Macy's Herald Square flagship building.

kkt

Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 10, 2021, 11:45:56 AM
I saw recently that Macy's is partnering with Toys R Us starting in 2022. Interesting how a company on life support is trying to revive a dead one.

mutter Sears-KMart mutter.

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on December 10, 2021, 12:41:37 PM

The most important part of the parade is when it stops at Manhattan's Herald Square, in front of Macy's flagship store. If Macy's can no longer afford to operate/manage the parade, the parade would likely end permanently. It's simply too closely tied to the company, especially given the routing.

Macy's had what is arguably the prime retail building in Seattle's core:  8 floors, nice Art Deco architectural details, in December a lighted star on the outside corner that is cattycorner to the street plan so it can be seen for blocks.  Macy's closed that store, and a lot of it is being used by Amazon now.  Office space I think, they're always hungry for office space and it's walking distance to other Amazon HQ buildings.  Anyway, Amazon did put up the traditional star.  Maybe that bodes well for NY's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Big John

Bump as they announced today that they will close another 150 stores by the end of 2026.  No announcement of which stores will be closed.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Big John on February 27, 2024, 05:02:20 PM
Bump as they announced today that they will close another 150 stores by the end of 2026.  No announcement of which stores will be closed.

So far, there have been two Macy's stores that announced that they are closing...

Macy's at Union Square in SF - closing in 2025, but that closure date could be pushed up due to theft issues (the renewing of the lease was coming up, but they decided NOT to renew the lease)

Macy's at Northgate in San Rafael - closing in 2024

RoadWarrior56

By 20 years ago, the parent company of Macy's had acquired most of the local and regional department store chains (Richs in Atlanta, Lazarus in Midwest, and many other chains all over the country), converted them all to Macy's stores, destroyed their identities and in the process, probably lost much of their customer base and loyalties.  And it was predictable even then what was going to happen.  Compared to Richs and Lazarus (the 2 regional chains that I was familiar with), Macy's just sucked.  Small wonder malls are slowly dying.  The mismanaged anchor stores started the process.  Does anybody remember Sears?

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Flint1979

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on February 28, 2024, 06:27:37 AM
By 20 years ago, the parent company of Macy's had acquired most of the local and regional department store chains (Richs in Atlanta, Lazarus in Midwest, and many other chains all over the country), converted them all to Macy's stores, destroyed their identities and in the process, probably lost much of their customer base and loyalties.  And it was predictable even then what was going to happen.  Compared to Richs and Lazarus (the 2 regional chains that I was familiar with), Macy's just sucked.  Small wonder malls are slowly dying.  The mismanaged anchor stores started the process.  Does anybody remember Sears?
In Michigan we had a chain called Hudson's. Their flagship store was at 1206 Woodward Avenue in Detroit that closed down in the early 80's. The building sat vacant for about 15 years before they demolished it, then the site sat vacant for about 20 years before they built something on it but anyway Marshall Field's is what ate that store up, then 4 years later Macy's replaced Marshall Field's.

SP Cook

Quote from: Big John on February 27, 2024, 05:02:20 PM
No announcement of which stores will be closed.

I have never understood why companies do this.  How do you get to "150 stores" and not know which they are?  Why not 157? or 142?

It make employee morale suck and harm recruiting for new hires.  Puts a pall over the whole company.  Even effects other people real estate values (why buy the old Sears, when the old Macy's might be available in a couple of months?). 

Brandon

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 28, 2024, 12:21:07 PM
In Michigan we had a chain called Hudson's. Their flagship store was at 1206 Woodward Avenue in Detroit that closed down in the early 80's. The building sat vacant for about 15 years before they demolished it, then the site sat vacant for about 20 years before they built something on it but anyway Marshall Field's is what ate that store up, then 4 years later Macy's replaced Marshall Field's.

To add to that, Hudson's merged with Dayton's in 1968-69, and the combined company was Dayton-Hudson.  Dayton-Hudson would buy Marshall Field's from BATUS in 1990, and then combined all it's non-Target and non-Mervyn's stores under one banner in 2001, that being Marshall Field's.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 28, 2024, 12:21:07 PM
Dayton (also parent of Target) bought Hudson's and became Dayton-Hudson. They they bought Marshall Field's, and the whole thing was bought by Macy. (I say bought, some might be mergers, like the "merger" between Chrysler and Daimler. We know how much of a "merger" that was.)

//sniped while typing//

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.