News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Songs where the audience sings along to an instrumental part

Started by hbelkins, November 19, 2021, 07:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 23, 2021, 10:13:58 AM
Quote from: 1 on November 23, 2021, 10:07:19 AM
While it's during the instrumental part, it's not along with it.

So for the definition of this thread, you have to exactly follow the melody of the instrumental part?
That would be the definition of "along."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on November 23, 2021, 01:41:22 PM

So for the definition of this thread, you have to exactly follow the melody of the instrumental part?
That would be the definition of "along."

I would beg to differ.  If you're Ozzy in "Iron Man", you're singing along with the instrumental melody.  If you're almost any other lead singer, you are creating the melody, not just singing on top of the instrumental melody. 

If you're singing along with the song, during a time when there are no lyrics, it doesn't matter to me if you follow the instrumental melody or creating a vocal melody, you're still "singing along" during what is normally an instrumental part, fulfilling the definition of the subject of the thread as written.

That said, if the OP meant to be more specific, then that's fine too.  Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but that's what AARoads is for.

DenverBrian

Don't think so. Most of the examples are people shouting "original" lyrics in the spaces between actual lyrics. Mony Mony is classic; Rudolph is a great example.

Sweet Caroline is an instance where the audience mimics the instrumental without actual words, unless you count "Bom bom bom" as words LOL.

ftballfan

Quote from: DenverBrian on November 23, 2021, 10:18:54 PM

Don't think so. Most of the examples are people shouting "original" lyrics in the spaces between actual lyrics. Mony Mony is classic; Rudolph is a great example.

Sweet Caroline is an instance where the audience mimics the instrumental without actual words, unless you count "Bom bom bom" as words LOL.
Along the lines of Mony Mony and Rudolph, I bring you Dixieland Delight (with added lyrics in bold):
Spend my dollar, ON BEER
parked in a holler 'neath the mountain moonlight. ROLL TIDE
Hold her up tight, AGAINST THE WALL
Make a little lovin', ALL NIGHT
A little turtle dovin' on a Mason-Dixon night. BEAT AUBURN
Fits my life, AND LSU
oh so right, AND TENNESSEE TOO
My Dixieland Delight.

I was a little disappointed that nobody did the bolded parts when I saw Alabama in concert last weekend (admittedly, it was in Michigan). Some other Southern college fan bases change the words to reflect their football team instead of the Alabama Crimson Tide

abefroman329

Quote from: ftballfan on November 24, 2021, 10:10:03 AM

Along the lines of Mony Mony and Rudolph, I bring you Dixieland Delight (with added lyrics in bold):
Spend my dollar, ON BEER
Fits my life, AND LSU
My Dixieland Delight.

I was a little disappointed that nobody did the bolded parts when I saw Alabama in concert last weekend (admittedly, it was in Michigan). Some other Southern college fan bases change the words to reflect their football team instead of the Alabama Crimson Tide
I've heard ROLL TIDE ROLL added to both Sweet Home Alabama and Deacon Blues.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 24, 2021, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on November 24, 2021, 10:10:03 AM

Spend my dollar, ON BEER
Fits my life, AND LSU
My Dixieland Delight.

I've heard ROLL TIDE ROLL added to both Sweet Home Alabama and Deacon Blues.
Call me Deacon Blue!  Roll tide-- oops, one line too late.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

If there's any doubt about what I'm talking about...

Forward to the 3:50 mark, I could not embed the starting point in the video.

Forward to the 6:42 mark in case the embedded link doesn't work.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.