Does the US Military Honor Guards use real weapons?

Started by roadman65, November 23, 2021, 01:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that in many civilian honor guards, where many non profit groups like the VFW, American Legion,  Etc. they use prop or ceremonial swords or muskets when wearing the official uniform to denote battle even though not in battle.

Being the US military does fight real battles, I was wondering if the sword and rifle that the guards use, like at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, are also ceremonial types or real ammo used as ceremonial?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

The Tomb Guards at Arlington carry fully-functional M-14s but don't divulge any information beyond that for security reasons. The military does not view their role as ceremonial.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 23, 2021, 04:10:14 PM
The Tomb Guards at Arlington carry fully-functional M-14s but don't divulge any information beyond that for security reasons. The military does not view their role as ceremonial.

What security reasons could they possibly have? Someone's going to find out what kind of gun they use to guard the tomb and...do what exactly?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 23, 2021, 10:05:17 PM

What security reasons could they possibly have? Someone's going to find out what kind of gun they use to guard the tomb and...do what exactly?

More than likely standard military need to know protocol. 

1995hoo

I don't know, but that's the explanation they give. I assume it has something to do with protecting the tomb from vandals or foreign miscreants who would view damaging it as a blow to American pride.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Bet Alec Baldwin wishes movies didn't use real weapons as props. (ducking...)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on November 24, 2021, 12:07:35 PM

A lot of movies don't. Some movies even give the actors props that are only vaguely gun-shaped and add in a CGI gun later.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 24, 2021, 03:17:37 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 24, 2021, 12:07:35 PM

A lot of movies don't. Some movies even give the actors props that are only vaguely gun-shaped and add in a CGI gun later.

But is this a case where the CGI gun doesn't exist in real life?

qguy

When I was an active-duty Air Force officer, at one place I was stationed I was an honor guard commander, in addition to my primary job. We performed various ceremonial functions, including the rendering of honors at funerals throughout our region.

One of the elements at funerals was a 21-gun salute followed by Taps. Seven enlisted Airmen fired rifles in unison three times. The rifle we used was the M-1 Garand. They were fully functional and capable of firing live rounds, but we used blank cartridges. We had to be very careful that we checked the proper ammunition from the armory.

Many military honor guards still employ functioning M-1s. So yes, they may not be the routine combat choice any longer (having been phased out by the early 1960s), but at least in many cases with military honor guards, they are real, operational weapons.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 23, 2021, 10:20:25 PM

More than likely standard military need to know protocol. 

Haven't you ever seen a zombie movie? :bigass:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.