News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Songs You Like but Rarely Play

Started by vdeane, November 29, 2021, 12:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

So this is a topic that got into my head recently.  What are some songs you like and might even own but rarely (or never) play for whatever reason?

I can think of a couple just off the top of my head, and they're not even the "they're buried in the library and I don't always remember that I have them" variety.  The major one is Mannheim Steamroller's Carol of the Bells.  I love how epic it feels, but I've become convinced over the years that it's a harbinger of doom.  I first heard it around Thanksgiving 2019, and that drive back home was one of the worst in my whole life.  I played it a lot that winter because I liked it, and then the pandemic hit.  That's when I became convinced that the song is a harbinger of doom and stopped playing it.  Heck, yesterday it was in my head for a minute, and then on my drive home there was an accident every 10 miles or so all the way from Rochester to Syracuse.

The other one is the DHT slow version of Listen to Your Heart.  It's amazing, but it also makes me sad, so I usually only play it when I'm already feeling down.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

There are a couple off of Chicago's debut album ("Chicago Transit Authority") that I rarely play.

"Free Form Guitar" is one. I like guitar solos, and the one Terry Kath put to vinyl back in 1969 is as metal as anything Nugent or Hammett or Van Halen ever played, but for some reason I usually skip it over.

Also from that album is "Liberation." It's a long instrumental with all the early Chicago trademarks -- heavy guitar, horn breaks -- but I rarely play it when I'm listening to that album.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CoreySamson

I like Lecrae's album "Anomaly". I like most of the songs on the track, but I'm just not into rap that much these days, so I don't play it very much.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

TheHighwayMan3561

Justin Hayward's version of "Forever Autumn" (often misattributed to the full Moody Blues) - a downer song
Asia's "Heat of the Moment" - associated initially with personal idiocy and later separately with an ex
Yes's "Owner of a Lonely Heart" - personal idiocy
Paul McCartney "Coming Up" - had that on heavy rotation when my uncle died unexpectedly in 2012 and became associated with that news
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Brian Fallon's "See You on the Other Side." The song refers to getting old and dying–"When we grow old and die, I'll see you on the other side." It's a good song and it closes his second solo album, Sleepwalkers, but I first heard it in June 2019 shortly after I had been told my father had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had maybe a week to live (he made it two weeks). Given those lyrics, that was a brutally difficult song to hear right then, and since then it's been hard for me to play it because, like TheHighwayMan394 says, the association in my mind is still hard to take.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CapeCodder

Lukeisroads

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

bandit957

I have stacks of records I buyed perhaps 30 years ago that I adored back then, but I played them so much back then that I got tired of them.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Henry

Quote from: bandit957 on December 01, 2021, 10:44:48 AM
I have stacks of records I buyed perhaps 30 years ago that I adored back then, but I played them so much back then that I got tired of them.
Same goes for me, except it was cassettes from as far back as 40 years, and I wore out practically all of them, so I replaced them with their CD equivalent.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

Killer Of Giants by Ozzy. And now that I mentioned it I'm playing it now.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kurumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 01, 2021, 11:24:39 AM
"Buyed"? Is that even a word?

I seed that before, but only in things Tim Brown writed. It's like "Sine Salad" for purchasing discussions
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

SectorZ

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 01, 2021, 10:56:55 AM
Killer Of Giants by Ozzy. And now that I mentioned it I'm playing it now.

You can only have so many songs about nuclear bombs on one album before you start getting sick of one of them.

dlsterner

"Gone to Shiloh", a collaboration between Elton John, Leon Russell, and Neil Young.  It was recorded about 10-12 years ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.