News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CT: Service Area Updates (Conn Tpke, Parkways)

Started by shadyjay, October 29, 2010, 01:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

It seems a new contract was awarded (last year) for the operation of the 23 service plazas located along the Merritt & Wilbur Cross Parkways (CT 15) and the Connecticut Turnpike (I-95/I-395).  And apparently the work to upgrade the facilities is underway, starting with the WCP's North Haven facility.  

http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents/dcommunications/majorprojectupdates/Major_project_summary_-_service_plazas__2__revised_-juddccX1.pdf
(I knew this project was going to start sometime but had no idea on the details until I came across the update)

Also it seems real food service will be added to those plazas with just fuel service (WCP/MP/I-395) with the addition of Subway and Dunkin' Donuts.  On the flip side, McDonalds will only remain at 8 of the 10 plazas along I-95 (my guess is Madison-NB and Branford-SB will get the ax).  Truck parking will also be greatly expanded at several plazas  (travel the turnpike and night and you'll see why this is a BIG problem).  

While this appears to be a scaled-down version of what was proposed in a rest/service area study by ConnDOT a few years back, it is something that is long overdue and should be well-received by motorists.  Even better, the project is 100% financed by the new operator, "Project Service", and not by the state or feds.  

Any real-life updates?  Having left CT in '05, I don't get back much (except all of summer '09, this year I haven't been down there since July). 

For those who may/may not remember, the study a few years ago had over-the-highway facilities replacing some existing "side of highway" locations, permitting an easier expansion of parking.  The study also had the Montville-NB plaza recreated (with over-the-highway facilities, same as was proposed for Plainfield), in addition to upgrades to the state's interstate rest areas (along I-84, I-91, and "free" I-95).  

Duke87

Merritt Parkway Conservancy complains about the changing of those service plazas in 3..2..1...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on October 29, 2010, 09:26:09 PM
Merritt Parkway Conservancy complains about the changing of those service plazas in 3..2..1...

Seriously.  That group is annoying.  The state already started on the US-7/CT-15 interchange improvement project to remove the dangerous cloverleaf and make it complete.  But the MPC jumped in and stopped the work!  The state then had to spend more money to put back what ever they started and moved!

Now the project is delayed b/c of funding!  Thanks b/c the MPC complained!  Dumb group!

I remember seeing plans of adding some auxilary lanes to the ones on the parkway that are close to exits.  Is that still true? or was it canned?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

Alps

Beeper1

The North Haven service areas on the Wilbur Cross were completely gutted when I passed through there a few weeks ago. The fuel islands were totally gone and only the outer brick shell and roof of the buildings remained. Looks like they are keeping the main buildings but renovating the interior from the ground up.

Based on the ConnDOT press releases, it looks like most of the plazas will be upgraded/replaced on their existing footprints, and that they wont be going with the over the highway "Illinois Style" plazas. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.