News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Famous Landmark Places that are no more

Started by roadman65, March 10, 2012, 09:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was wondering what places out there were once considered landmarks by motorists that are no longer in business, but when they were they remained in operation for decades.

Red Apple Rest along NY 17 in Southfields, NY was in business for many years. It even survived the NY Thruway as in the previous years NY 17 carried many motorists that I-87 now does at least between NYC and Harriman.  US 9 and US 9W carried motorists further north, but many going to vacation in the Catskills used this restaurant as a stopover as it was near halfway between NYC and that particular mountain region.  Matter of fact, there were billboards similar to those of South of the Border near Dillon, SC along I-95 for many miles along the original NY 17 before the Quickway and Thruway were built according to relatives of mine.  Now I was reading that the place closed for good almost 10 years ago and the building boarded up according to photos on the web.

I have also seen many abandoned road side stands along US 301 between Orangeburg, SC and the GA Line that were killed by I-95 spite that south of Santee, SC US 301 severs from I-95 a great distance.  Do not know of them specifically what they were by name, but does anyone know of popular places that served travelers that finally died?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

There's a ton of them along old 66, such as Jackrabbit (you are here!) or Cadillac Ranch (was also a landmark along I-40, to be fair, though now moved). Jackrabbit doesn't appear to be a thing now, just a billboard. A few of the old Indian trading posts out that way also seem to have disappeared, despite signs or even building shells remaining.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DTComposer

Not sure how famous it was outside the region, but for sheer childhood roadtrip nostalgia I'd say the Nut Tree on I-80 nee US-40 between Sacramento and San Francisco. I know it's been "re-born" but it's a shadow of what it was.

kkt

Quote from: DTComposer on March 11, 2012, 01:23:38 AM
Not sure how famous it was outside the region, but for sheer childhood roadtrip nostalgia I'd say the Nut Tree on I-80 nee US-40 between Sacramento and San Francisco. I know it's been "re-born" but it's a shadow of what it was.

My mom grew up in Lafayette, in the 1950s.  There was no shopping for anything other than groceries in Lafayette or Walnut Creek back then.  They'd often go to the Nut Tree rather than over the hill to Berkeley or Oakland, before the third bore of the Caldecott Tunnel was built.

Stephane Dumas

on TCH-20 almost half between Montreal and Quebec City was the Madrid hotel-restaurant, replaced by a restaurant. It was built back when the road was PQ-9 before being upgraded to TCH-20.

roadman65

I am sure that Route 66 had many as I-40 (and pretty much the whole interstate system) changed the fate of older US Routes and moved traffic away from many places.  That is why Breezewood, PA is fighting the direct connection from I-70 to the PA Turnpike all of these years.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on March 11, 2012, 09:45:26 AM
I am sure that Route 66 had many as I-40 (and pretty much the whole interstate system) changed the fate of older US Routes and moved traffic away from many places.  That is why Breezewood, PA is fighting the direct connection from I-70 to the PA Turnpike all of these years.
The second that Breezewood is bypassed, no one will miss it.

ghYHZ

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 11, 2012, 08:46:00 AM
on TCH-20 almost half between Montreal and Quebec City was the Madrid hotel-restaurant, replaced by a restaurant. It was built back when the road was PQ-9 before being upgraded to TCH-20.

Remember it well.....along with the Dinosaurs!  We'd leave the Big O after watching the Expos (also No More) play an afternoon game......and always stopped there for supper (it was tradition) before continuing onto Edmundston for the night on our way back to the Maritimes! 

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Quote from: Steve on March 11, 2012, 01:02:03 PM
That is why. The business owners are afraid of not being missed!

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on March 11, 2012, 05:20:38 PM
Cadillac Ranch is gone relocated?
I don't care how people frown upon LMGTFY, this is just begging for it. http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=cadillac+ranch+relocated

hbelkins

I've never been there, but my brother and dad visited it in 1990. It got moved after they were there. At least it's still adjacent to I-40.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Ship Hotel, US 30 west of Bedford, Pa.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

1995hoo

This used to appear on a gas station on Route 9 just east of the Virginia—West Virginia state line. The gas station is still there, but it's been all spruced up and turned into a Liberty station and the sign is no more.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: roadman65 on March 11, 2012, 06:12:33 PM

Which certainly seems like an overblown fear. 
It's not like there is another oasis of food/fuel/etc services in the area.  (The closest exceptions being TPK service plazas and Bedford.)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

roadman65

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 12, 2012, 03:16:43 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 11, 2012, 06:12:33 PM

Which certainly seems like an overblown fear. 
It's not like there is another oasis of food/fuel/etc services in the area.  (The closest exceptions being TPK service plazas and Bedford.)

Maybe with the cost of fuel gone up, enough complaints to PennDOT will get the interchange finally done!

Sheryl Crowe

txstateends

Quote from: hbelkins on March 11, 2012, 05:20:38 PM
Cadillac Ranch is gone relocated?

A few years ago, the landowner, Stanley Marsh, felt like growth on the west side of Amarillo was encroaching on the Ranch, so he picked up his Cadillacs and moved them a short distance farther west.  Since I left the area, retail/commercial growth along Soncy (west Loop 335) has really picked up.  TxDOT even proposed a replacement section of loop farther out on the southwest and west sides of Amarillo--but, of course, the talk about funding it came around to tolling, and not much has been said about a replacement since (even though a few have taken the I-told-you-so tone as they thought Loop 335 should have been built more like Loop 289 in Lubbock).
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

US71

Mt Gaylor near Winslow, AR. The buildings are all abandoned and the lookout tower is slowly crumbling.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

empirestate

Man, that's the second time today I've been called "No one"!

Takumi

Quote from: empirestate on April 12, 2012, 02:46:02 AM
Man, that's the second time today I've been called "No one"!

Reminds me of a local car dealer who started calling himself "Nobody" so when other dealers say "nobody beats our prices", he can say "That's right. I do" or something to that effect.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NWI_Irish96

The spindle of cars featured in Wayne's World no longer stands at the corner of Harlem and Cermak in Berwyn, IL.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on March 10, 2012, 11:21:33 PM
Jackrabbit doesn't appear to be a thing now, just a billboard.

this would be news to me.  I remember it being an antique/souvenir shop as recently as 2010 or so.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 12, 2012, 10:58:25 AM
Quote from: Steve on March 10, 2012, 11:21:33 PM
Jackrabbit doesn't appear to be a thing now, just a billboard.

this would be news to me.  I remember it being an antique/souvenir shop as recently as 2010 or so.
Well it seemed to be closed/dead when I went by (not just closed for the day) as of mid-2011...

PAHighways

Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2012, 06:58:08 PMMaybe with the cost of fuel gone up, enough complaints to PennDOT will get the interchange finally done!

If fuel costs keep going up, people will drive less which will impact the Highway Trust Fund and less people will be using the Turnpike, so the opposite would happen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.