News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wawa Markets are coming to Florida

Started by roadman65, March 24, 2012, 07:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadWarrior56

I wonder how they compare with QuikTrip, which are the best gasoline/convenience stores in the Atlanta area.

florida

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2012, 10:01:04 AM
Quote from: formulanone on April 17, 2012, 09:08:32 PM
If I'm driving around in northern climates in cold weather, then coffee at gas stations makes sense, especially after standing in place for five minutes while the tank fills up. But in Florida, that's rarely an issue...typically, I'll have a cold energy drink to get my caffeine fix.

I still like my coffee no matter how hot the weather is.  I will,, though, drink less in Summer, but need my charge from that.  Energy drinks do not interest me as much as it does most people.  Nonetheless, cannot wait for them to open this July!

I'll second this. I just can't do energy drinks, they are too caustic on my stomach.
So many roads...so little time.

hbelkins

Quote from: florida on May 01, 2012, 11:02:59 PM
I'll second this. I just can't do energy drinks, they are too caustic on my stomach.

I've never had one of those energy drinks (Monster, NOS, Five-Hour Energy, etc.). I can't imagine that they would taste very good at all.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

realjd

Quote from: hbelkins on May 02, 2012, 09:28:17 AM

I've never had one of those energy drinks (Monster, NOS, Five-Hour Energy, etc.). I can't imagine that they would taste very good at all.

They're just highly caffeinated sodas. Some are better than others. Red Bull and Monster are some of the better tasting ones IMO. I tend to stick to the diet ones though since I want the caffeine but not the empty sugar calories.

roadman65

I just visited one near the Philadelphia International Airport and I liked the Coffee and Pretzels.  Both tasted good and the price was right.  Large restrooms unlike 7 Eleven which has only one toilet. These have three and people coming in and out  of the store constantly.   Also, I liked the way you order your deli sandwiches on the touch screen, pay for it, then pick it up when your number is called showing that you purchased it before they give it to you.

I cannot wait until they open here in Florida.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2012, 06:32:08 PM
I just visited one near the Philadelphia International Airport and I liked the Coffee and Pretzels.  Both tasted good and the price was right.  Large restrooms unlike 7 Eleven which has only one toilet. These have three and people coming in and out  of the store constantly.   Also, I liked the way you order your deli sandwiches on the touch screen, pay for it, then pick it up when your number is called showing that you purchased it before they give it to you.

There's another chain of fast-food (and usually gasoline) stores, also based in Pennsylvania, called Sheetz, which is quite similar to WaWa. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 23, 2012, 06:51:16 PM

There's another chain of fast-food (and usually gasoline) stores, also based in Pennsylvania, called Sheetz, which is quite similar to WaWa. 
Yeah, I have seen them around Altoona.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2012, 06:55:48 PM

They can also be found in Md., Va. and W.Va. (and probably several other states).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

I see another one common in Northern New Jersey making it big, but not leaving the Garden State: Quick Chek.

Sheryl Crowe

Michael in Philly

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2012, 06:55:48 PM

There's already a thread about Sheetz, which ended up being colonized by Wawa.  (Not that I'm one of those people who objects to duplicate threads - just a point of information.)  I find other regions' stores - at least the ones I've encountered...inadequate.  Some of the newer QuickCheks are nice too, but I grew up in a town in New Jersey where there's been a QuickChek forever, and checkout was usually so slow I used to say they ought to change their name.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 25, 2012, 11:52:22 AM
You forgot Speedway! I stopped in their places when visiting Columbus and Indianapolis. I had a Wawa across the street from my Philadelphia hotel in Center City recently, too. :)

I'm fairly certain that there were a couple of Wawa stores here in Connecticut until the early 1990s or so. We had one close to Central Connecticut State University in New Britain and one in Newington on Kelsey Street, very close to the New Britain city line. I think some other former locations became Krauser's, one of which is on Main Street in East Hartford.

Don't know about Connecticut, but there was a Wawa ages ago two blocks from my grandmother on Staten Island, so they may have had more of a presence in the New York area than they do now.  Now they seem to be concentrating on points south of Philadelphia - even upstate Pennsylvania they seem to be mostly leaving to Sheetz.  And in turn, there's not a Sheetz within 50 miles of Philadelphia.  (Unless Morgantown is within that limit, just.)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Scott5114

They don't. Thus why I prefer Five-Hour Energy: it's over in two sips.

Coffee and Mountain Dew simply don't cut the mustard sometimes when you work 1am to 8am. Especially during those times when you had to ruin your sleep schedule because some dumbass scheduled a meeting for 3pm when you need to be asleep...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

txstateends

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 23, 2012, 07:17:44 PM

They don't. Thus why I prefer Five-Hour Energy: it's over in two sips.

I've had RedBull once.  Nasty.  Why would anyone drink something that tastes like cough syrup?? >ugh<  5-hour Energy is much better tasting.

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 23, 2012, 07:17:44 PM
Coffee and Mountain Dew simply don't cut the mustard sometimes when you work 1am to 8am. Especially during those times when you had to ruin your sleep schedule because some dumbass scheduled a meeting for 3pm when you need to be asleep...

OMG, you too?  Well, 11p-7a is my worktime but still, that 3pm meeting (or 4:30p employee party, or 4-hour CPR training??) is the worst and just stupid.  Employee appreciation??  Yeah right.  They can have the meetings earlier or I'm not coming to them!!  I'm lucky to get a cup of coffee for the whole night at work....
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

hbelkins

There's another chain of fast-food (and usually gasoline) stores, also based in Pennsylvania, called Sheetz, which is quite similar to much better than WaWa.

FIFY.

Ian

Quote from: hbelkins on June 23, 2012, 10:50:35 PM
There's another chain of fast-food (and usually gasoline) stores, also based in Pennsylvania, called Sheetz, which is quite similar to much better than WaWa.

FIFY.

To each his own. I personally think the exact opposite.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

I have found Sheetz to have a much more comprehensive menu than Wawa. I've gone into a Wawa more than once, looked at my choices on the touch screen, and left without ordering. They seem to concentrate on cold subs.

Sheetz, on the other hand, has all that Wawa does plus burgers, fried items (fries, mozzarella sticks, mac & cheese bites, etc.) and lots more.

roadman65

Quote from: hbelkins on June 24, 2012, 12:32:55 PM
I have found Sheetz to have a much more comprehensive menu than Wawa. I've gone into a Wawa more than once, looked at my choices on the touch screen, and left without ordering. They seem to concentrate on cold subs.

Sheetz, on the other hand, has all that Wawa does plus burgers, fried items (fries, mozzarella sticks, mac & cheese bites, etc.) and lots more.
Whatever, we are getting Wawa here for now and their food is awesome!  I am not knocking Sheetz, and I am sure they are the same or might be better, just to say that only one is coming for now. 

Sheryl Crowe

Ian

While Sheetz does have more of a variety to choose from, I've noticed that the Wawa food just tastes a lot better to me, especially the coffee. I know since most of everyone on the forum who have been to both likes Sheetz more, they'll disagree with me, yet it's just my opinion.
Youtube l Flickr

roadman65

Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 24, 2012, 12:48:26 PM
While Sheetz does have more of a variety to choose from, I've noticed that the Wawa food just tastes a lot better to me, especially the coffee. I know since most of everyone on the forum who have been to both likes Sheetz more, they'll disagree with me, yet it's just my opinion.
That is what makes us all different.  Imagine if others were like ourselves?  That might be scary LOL!  However, to each is own is what makes us all interesting.

Sheryl Crowe

Ian

Quote from: roadman65 on June 24, 2012, 01:00:23 PM
That is what makes us all different.  Imagine if others were like ourselves?  That might be scary LOL!  However, to each is own is what makes us all interesting.

Absolutely. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Sheetz. I even try to look for them everytime I'm in their territory. I just happen to like Wawa better.
Youtube l Flickr

roadman65

We used to get their milk at Steak and Ale Restaurant in Clark, NJ.    I do not know how it came to be as the nearest Sheetz is hundreds of miles away.  Nearest I can tell, Steak and Ale was a national chain and somewhere along the lines a distributor of a common denominator served us both someplace in Western, PA or other state where Sheetz is.

Sheryl Crowe

BigMattFromTexas

Welp, as long as I live in west Texas, I'll never worry about Wawa or Sheetz or any of that mess! I got Stripes here, that'll do it for me. 90% of the locations are clean.. They also have nice variety. But I do wanna go to both of those stores! For now I got Love's though.
BigMatt

hbelkins

I don't drink coffee, so I can't use that as a criterion for judging anything. :coffee:

D-Dey65

Quote from: hbelkins on March 25, 2012, 01:25:14 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 25, 2012, 01:19:55 PM
Isn't wawa the fail trombone sound?

No, that's wawawaaaaaaa
I think NE2 is thinking of the adults in Peanuts cartoons. Anyway, my mother and one of her friends rave about Wawa. I went to one in Wilmington, Delaware on my previous trip up north, and I just didn't see what all the hype was about.

:crazy:   :-/

Takumi

I prefer Sheetz. I like the food better, and for some reason I find the layout for most of them to be better thought out. Plus, they almost always have somewhere to sit down and eat if you like.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.