News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Upgrading to IE8 or IE9

Started by D-Dey65, May 17, 2012, 12:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Well, they might need the security updates, but it depends on the kiosk.  As was mentioned, Windows 3.1 is still out there, so I wouldn't use those as a motivating factor for extending XP's support.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Stratuscaster

Quote from: realjd on May 26, 2012, 07:59:04 PM
But for a fielded embedded system, what's the motivation to upgrade? If it works with XP, upgrading to 7 adds cost and risk while providing no functional benefits. There is a reason some kiosk terminals like ATMs out there still run Windows 3.1 or even MS-DOS. They already have a mature product and don't need any of the new functionality found in a more modern OS.
The primary motivation - provided the hardware meets the spec for W7E - is to standardize the image used on the hardware across the board. Streamlines the process when a change is made, and simplifies support when you only have to support one OS.

Security is the other motivator.

JREwing78

If the computer in question didn't have internet access, and there were no software updates or other items that required the upgrade, there's no reason to do so. But the amount of devices that fit that description is declining rapidly.

Scott5114

Quote from: realjd on May 26, 2012, 09:29:30 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2012, 07:53:11 PM
Quote from: deanej on May 25, 2012, 06:56:43 PM
These days Windows 7 is probably as common as XP in businesses, and new XP roll-outs are rare.

We just had one of our vendors replace their entire complement of slot machines with newer model cabinets. Guess what OS they're running!

For embedded, kiosk, and other single-use systems like slot machines, there are usually zero compelling reasons to upgrade operating systems, particularly if the device isn't networked.

Perhaps, but I thought it sort of bizarre that they were using XP on what is effectively a new install (since the old 2006-era machines were being physically removed and replaced with ones manufactured in April). This particular type of machine is a Class II machine, which to make a long story short means that the game results are determined from a server, so there is networking involved. (Even traditional slot machines are networked these days with the advent of cashout vouchers. A server stores and tracks all vouchers in case there is an issue with one not crediting properly. When the network goes down it's sort of hilarious to watch all the machines shit the bed, in an abstract 'this would be funny if I wasn't working here' sort of way.)

Slot machine manufacturers do continue to use newer technology, if not exactly cutting edge, since today's games use all sorts of immersive technology like touchscreen input, high-quality graphics and sound (many slot machines have Bose speakers these days, and some even have surround sound in the chair). For most manufacturers this means newer Linux releases but a few still maintain a custom OS...and then there's two Class II vendors that are still on XP Embedded.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

on_wisconsin

Also you could get "taxed" for using IE7 now:
http://bit.ly/Nk35EC
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

agentsteel53

Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 11, 2012, 01:59:31 AM
Also you could get "taxed" for using IE7 now:
http://bit.ly/Nk35EC

a bit of stealth advertising?  I had never heard of Kogan before.  now I have.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Dr Frankenstein

Ow. That's harsh from them.

vtk

I don't even know what version of IE is on my home (XP) computer, though it's probably 7 or 8.  I use Firefox primarily, and Chrome on occasion.  In my web development hobbyist activities, I try to keep things as simple as possible so the browser would have to have some insane quirks to mess it up.  I don't use JavaScript if I don't have to.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Roadsguy

Just use Chrome. If anything doesn't work in Chrome, then dust off your IE desktop shortcut.

That's what I do. :D
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

D-Dey65

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to get a new computer soon no matter what... maybe even before Christmas. I hope it has enough space for all these alternate browsers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.