News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Where were you on 11 September 2001?

Started by cpzilliacus, September 11, 2012, 10:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: english si on September 12, 2012, 08:29:45 AM
Was nice to see NBC atone for cutting to an interview during the 7/7 (and if you are Israeli, Munich) minutes silence in the Olympic Opening Ceremony by also having an interview when the other networks were holding a minutes silence for 9/11. We did wonder if it was a location thing - deaths in NYC being worth more than deaths in London (we reckoned on it being unthinkable that they would have done the same with a 9/11 minutes silence). Turns out NBC is simply massively disrespectful to all victims of terror - either that or ridiculously incompetent.

Yet back in 2001, NBC (Sports) had no problems not speaking during Lap 3 at NASCAR races for Dale Earnhardt.  Shows how messed up in the head NBC now is.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alex on September 14, 2012, 12:50:53 PM
Not just TSA, but also county police that pull you over under the guise that "terrorists routinely run up this highway and drive erratically because they are running for 24 straight hours", when they are just looking for anything to cite you with.

Or MTA bridges and tunnels with their photography prohibited signs.

The world was a better place pre 9/11, but some will contend it was because "our watch was down and now it is not"...

Wasn't the transit part of NY MTA put on notice that they (and the law enforcement officers that patrol their properties) could not interfere with private persons taking photographs of or on MTA property?

I know this was discussed in some detail in Looking for America on the New Jersey Turnpike (well before 2001), and a person issued a ticket by the NJSP for illegal picture taking on the Turnpike had to appeal to at least the intermediate appeals court in New Jersey (and maybe the highest appellate court) to get the Turnpike Authority's administrative rule against photography struck-down as unconstitutional.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 14, 2012, 09:24:43 PM
I know this was discussed in some detail in Looking for America on the New Jersey Turnpike (well before 2001), and a person issued a ticket by the NJSP for illegal picture taking on the Turnpike had to appeal to at least the intermediate appeals court in New Jersey (and maybe the highest appellate court) to get the Turnpike Authority's administrative rule against photography struck-down as unconstitutional.
I got bemused looks when I used my own photography for a powerpoint to the NJTA. Of course, the rule is no photography, but reading the rule, it seems that it applies to those looking to stage photos (i.e., not just driving along at speed). How so? I shouldn't have to apply for a full permit and list my impacts to traffic and hours of photography if I'm going with the flow of traffic the entire time. So they needled me, but I smiled and said that I wasn't holding up traffic. They also liked my 1960s/50s photos from Michael Summa, so it balanced out.

Now, can we get the MTA's "terrorism" ban on photos thrown out also? Not that I've ever seen it enforced.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on September 14, 2012, 09:52:07 PM
I got bemused looks when I used my own photography for a powerpoint to the NJTA. Of course, the rule is no photography, but reading the rule, it seems that it applies to those looking to stage photos (i.e., not just driving along at speed). How so? I shouldn't have to apply for a full permit and list my impacts to traffic and hours of photography if I'm going with the flow of traffic the entire time. So they needled me, but I smiled and said that I wasn't holding up traffic. They also liked my 1960s/50s photos from Michael Summa, so it balanced out.

Wonder if the NJTA enacted a new rule against photography on the Turnpike, because the old one was invalidated (or at least declared unenforceable) by one of the Garden State's appeals courts?  Or did they leave the old one in place, hoping people would not notice that it had been tossed out by the New Jersey courts?

I just wonder what justification they use for a photography ban in the first place.  And is it illegal for someone to snap an image of a family member while stopped at one of the many service plazas on the Turnpike (or the Garden State Parkway)?

The Turnpike's regulation does not seem to have deterred Google from imaging both highways for Street View, and I suppose anyone that were to be charged with illegal photography on either road could probably cite that (along with New Jersey case law) as a reason to invalidate the Turnpike Authority's rule again.

Now, can we get the MTA's "terrorism" ban on photos thrown out also? Not that I've ever seen it enforced.

Sounds like a fine idea to me!

Just another example of wasteful "security theater" that contributes nothing to actual security.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 15, 2012, 12:53:56 AM

Wonder if the NJTA enacted a new rule against photography on the Turnpike, because the old one was invalidated (or at least declared unenforceable) by one of the Garden State's appeals courts?  Or did they leave the old one in place, hoping people would not notice that it had been tossed out by the New Jersey courts?

It's not a ban. You just need to apply for a permit. But again, I don't think it's the same thing - I don't think it's intended for vehicles moving at speed, only those that want to stop and take photos. I don't know whether that extends to rest areas, but I can say this - they are a smart agency, so they're not going after people taking souvenir photos at rest areas.

formulanone

Freedom of panorama (i.e. that which exists in a public place) should not be taken away. FFS, I take photos all the time at airports, large and small, of aircraft, gear, equipment, terminals, even TSA checkpoints (although the latter, without flash)...and nobody seems to care, rightfully so!

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 14, 2012, 08:33:52 PM
Was nice to see NBC atone for cutting to an interview during the 7/7 (and if you are Israeli, Munich) minutes silence in the Olympic Opening Ceremony by also having an interview when the other networks were holding a minutes silence for 9/11. We did wonder if it was a location thing - deaths in NYC being worth more than deaths in London (we reckoned on it being unthinkable that they would have done the same with a 9/11 minutes silence). Turns out NBC is simply massively disrespectful to all victims of terror - either that or ridiculously incompetent.

Yet back in 2001, NBC (Sports) had no problems not speaking during Lap 3 at NASCAR races for Dale Earnhardt.  Shows how messed up in the head NBC now is.

I think you meant 2011...It wasn't uncommon for a race to have a lap or two in which the commentators "laid out", to enjoy the sights and sounds. But I suppose that experimental football game in 1980 was just too much for people to handle...are people that spooked out by a lack of talking heads, most of which add nothing to the event? Maybe if you we a novice nor newcomer, but I could easily watch a race or game without commentary; there's always a score on the screen, a graphic telling you some stat, et cetera. Although a dull game or event can be livened up with commentary - I'd miss Benny Parsons chatting it up about the local places to eat or David Hobbs mentioning an odd driver story from the past when the race was on its nineteenth caution. So I suppose it works both ways.

Actually, I missed the opening ceremony, but I had heard the IOC originally did not want to take a minute's silence to supposedly "honor" another country. Looks like they made the right choice, after all.

Scott5114

I think there's a need for some sort of commentary–even high school football has someone in the press box mentioning key players of the last play over the PA.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rickmastfan67

Quote from: formulanone on September 15, 2012, 10:19:06 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 14, 2012, 08:33:52 PM

I think you meant 2011...It wasn't uncommon for a race to have a lap or two in which the commentators "laid out", to enjoy the sights and sounds. But I suppose that experimental football game in 1980 was just too much for people to handle...are people that spooked out by a lack of talking heads, most of which add nothing to the event? Maybe if you we a novice nor newcomer, but I could easily watch a race or game without commentary; there's always a score on the screen, a graphic telling you some stat, et cetera. Although a dull game or event can be livened up with commentary - I'd miss Benny Parsons chatting it up about the local places to eat or David Hobbs mentioning an odd driver story from the past when the race was on its nineteenth caution. So I suppose it works both ways.

No, I do mean 2001.  Dale Earnhardt died in a last lap crash in that year's Daytona 500.  After that happen, each network (FOX, NBC, TNT) that covered the races for the remaining of the season didn't speak on Lap #3 in his honor (unless the race was under Caution for that lap, then they did the 3rd green flag lap if I remember correctly after the yellow ended).  Here's an example.  That example comes from the 1st race after 9/11, so it's a combo of both at the same time.

formulanone

Ah, faded memory of mine...You're right.

achilles765

I was sitting in my first period homeroom class, AP World History as we reviewed for the next day's exam when our principal came in to tell us to turn on the news because a plane "accidentally hit the Twin Towers in NYC."  Then every class was tuned in and glued to the day's coverage.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Special K

Quote from: achilles765 on October 11, 2012, 02:18:44 AM
I was sitting in my first period homeroom class, AP World History as we reviewed for the next day's exam when our principal came in to tell us to turn on the news because a plane "accidentally hit the Twin Towers in NYC."  Then every class was tuned in and glued to the day's coverage.

When the first one hit, I think everyone assumed it was accidental since planes accidentally hitting skyscrapers had happened several times before.  I certainly did as I heard the first report on the car radio while on my commute to work.  It wasn't until the second one hit the other tower that it became clear that it was an intentional act.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Special K on October 11, 2012, 09:02:57 AM
When the first one hit, I think everyone assumed it was accidental since planes accidentally hitting skyscrapers had happened several times before.

That was my reaction.  I was in "college" spending as much time reading the news online as paying attention.  When "Plane Hits World Trade Center" came up in a line as breaking news on the Post-Gazette website, I assumed it was some small plane accidentally crashing into a building, and didn't even bother clicking on the link to read about it. 
Shortly after that there was an image associated, and it was obvious my assumption was pretty off......
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

empirestate

Quote from: Special K on October 11, 2012, 09:02:57 AM
Quote from: achilles765 on October 11, 2012, 02:18:44 AM

When the first one hit, I think everyone assumed it was accidental since planes accidentally hitting skyscrapers had happened several times before.  I certainly did as I heard the first report on the car radio while on my commute to work.  It wasn't until the second one hit the other tower that it became clear that it was an intentional act.

That occurs to me as well–while the first impact was widely believed to be accidental, so many people still tuned in just on that basis that the second impact was widely witnessed. I've wondered since why there was such attention paid to what was thought to be an accident (interrupting classrooms and so forth), especially since it wasn't realized at first to be a jet liner. But maybe I'm misremembering a time in our lives when even a small-engine aircraft accident was enough to raise national attention, without wanton intentional destruction having to be an ingredient. :-(

I distinctly remember thinking it was an accident because it wasn't yet 9:00 am. Although intentionally flying planes into buildings had occurred to me previously as a dangerously achievable means of terrorism, I would have assumed the attackers would wait until the workday was in full swing for maximum casualties. I'm glad, I suppose, that real terrorists' thinking doesn't match my own quite so closely.

Road Hog

I was working a graveyard shift at the time. I had cracked a beer and was 10 minutes from going to bed when I heard a local radio show say "Hey, what's going on at the World Trade Center?" I turned the TV on and saw the second plane.

bugo

I remember Bush getting on the radio not long after the second impact claiming we were being attacked.  Which turned out to be the truth, but how did he know it was an attack and not an accident so soon after it happened?  Sounds fishy to me.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on October 16, 2012, 03:27:34 PM
I remember Bush getting on the radio not long after the second impact claiming we were being attacked.  Which turned out to be the truth, but how did he know it was an attack and not an accident so soon after it happened?  Sounds fishy to me.

two planes?  hell of a coincidence.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Beltway

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 16, 2012, 03:34:33 PM

Two large airliners, 18 minutes apart...
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: Beltway on October 16, 2012, 06:01:18 PM

It would have been an embarrassing statement if it turned out to be false...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

Quote from: kphoger on October 16, 2012, 08:10:21 PM

If what had turned out to be false?  Incorrect reports?  That both crashes were accidents?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: Beltway on October 16, 2012, 08:27:42 PM

If what had turned out to be false?  Incorrect reports?  That both crashes were accidents?

If the crashes had indeed turned out to be anything other than an attack (some sort of unlikely error), then it would have been embarrassing to have announced them as such.  Of course, with 99% certainty, any one of us would have gone ahead and made the announcement too.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

Quote from: kphoger on October 16, 2012, 08:35:24 PM
Quote from: Beltway on October 16, 2012, 08:27:42 PM

If the crashes had indeed turned out to be anything other than an attack (some sort of unlikely error), then it would have been embarrassing to have announced them as such.  Of course, with 99% certainty, any one of us would have gone ahead and made the announcement too.

Errmmm ... one large airliner from the north at full speed, then 18 minutes later another large airliner from the west at full speed ... each hit a different Trade Tower ..

99.99% certainty?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.