News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

So, who reads every message?

Started by Alps, September 14, 2012, 07:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I used to ignore Fictional Highways, and usually General Highway Talk because of the message volume, but once I became a moderator I started reading every message. Takes about 20-30 minutes each night. Anyone else?

agentsteel53

I default to the "recent" view, so I read every message, unless it is more than 10 pages old.  This is about one day's worth of posting so if I don't read the forum for a whole weekend, I will miss some.

I always read the secret admin forum in the "message board" view, and if there is an interesting topic, I will read back even past what would be more than 10 pages back in the "recent" view.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

I use the 'unread' view and end up reading most threads before marking as read.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

If there are a lot of new posts (such as after work), I read each message from top to bottom. If there are only a few, I just click them directly from the "recent posts" section at the bottom of the page.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 14, 2012, 07:55:23 PM
I always read the secret admin forum in the "message board" view, and if there is an interesting topic, I will read back even past what would be more than 10 pages back in the "recent" view.

What secret admin forum?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

Despite that I'm still #1 on time spent on the forum (most of that is because between work, school, and chilling I'm on a computer about 18 hours a day (this is not an exaggeration- when I get a rare day off I try to get off the computer entirely, but for the last couple years that's been maybe once a month) with the ability to refresh every 15-30 minutes), I don't read nearly every post. I read probably 95% of what's in General Highway Talk and sub-board, and everything in Northwest and Mountain West.

The other regional boards I read only if it seems like there's an interesting thread. I click into every thread manually and never just view recent posts.

rickmastfan67

I personally use my RSS Feed reader to do a quick scan of what's been posted and then decide if I want to join in on the topic, needs Admin intervention, or just to not "visit" the forum fully for the time being.

Duke87

I entirely ignore the Meta, and I tend to not pay much mind to Fictional Highways, Sports, or the regional boards for regions I am not in frequently or ever.

Every other board is in play, but no, I do not read every thread. Often I will read the first page or two of a thread but then stop following it if it goes on longer than that unless the subject is particularly interesting.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bugo

I only read the messages that interest me, like the I-49 and 69 threads and threads about my neck of the woods, and other places that I've visited or lived.  I sometimes click on topics that are about roads that are far away from me because they interest me for whatever reason.  I usually stay far away from the fictional highways forum unless it's to complain about how unrealistic an OK 1 Talimena Freeway would be.

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 14, 2012, 08:12:17 PM

What secret admin forum?

Can't tell you: it's a secret   :spin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Roadsguy

I read General Highway Talk, Traffic Control, Fictional Highways, Northeast, (sometimes) Mid-Atlantic, and Off-Topic (otherwise I wouldn't be posting this). I tend to ignore everything else, like the other US regions and International Highways, seeing as I know next-to-zilch about any of the roads there.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: US71 on September 15, 2012, 08:31:01 AM

What secret admin forum?

:eyebrow: Shhhhhhhut up...

Alps

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 15, 2012, 09:23:28 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 15, 2012, 08:31:01 AM

What secret admin forum?

:eyebrow: Shhhhhhhut up...
I'm sorry, I can't divulge any information about that customer's secret, illegal account.

formulanone

I swap between the "new replies" and the "new posts", although I probably spend much more time working in the former, rather than the latter. But it's rare that I inspect the regional boards, unless I'm traveling to that region, for example.

And there's some stuff I usually (Fictional), but not always (sometimes there's an interesting conversation going on), ignore.

roadman65

I try to read every message, but when it gets to 3 pages or more you can miss something and who has time to read them anyway, especially in detail.

I did once post the US 20 in Illinois thing and it turns out that is a cardinal sin to post it cause it was posted before.  Did not know it and now I still have a reminder above my opening page saying DO NOT and so on to this day.  A hard lesson I must say, but I ignore that page for fear of making another mistake.  Plus it is old.  Showing worthless images on google should be a new topic to discuss like the street view of the CBBT in VA in heavy fog!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on September 16, 2012, 10:14:19 AM
I try to read every message, but when it gets to 3 pages or more you can miss something and who has time to read them anyway, especially in detail.

I did once post the US 20 in Illinois thing and it turns out that is a cardinal sin to post it cause it was posted before.  Did not know it and now I still have a reminder above my opening page saying DO NOT and so on to this day.  A hard lesson I must say, but I ignore that page for fear of making another mistake.  Plus it is old.  Showing worthless images on google should be a new topic to discuss like the street view of the CBBT in VA in heavy fog!

That shows up for everyone. It's one of a few messages that alternate on the News banner.

roadman65

Oh, then that explains the haste toward my post once.  Everyone thought it being in the newsbanner should be more than common knowledge to all of us who post.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

I don't read every board, so I obviously don't read every message. And I don't read every message in the boards that I do read on a daily basis. For instance, I haven't read a single message in the "triple left turn" thread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Chris

Since none of this is in my neck of the woods, I mostly read about construction projects, with Texas and mid-south/central having my particular interest. I don't read as much about the northeast and west, and numbering discussions aren't in my area of interest as well.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

This is the first thread I've read on here.  :sleep:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

empirestate

I pick and choose a lot, reading first from topics I've posted in (though I've really started to skim the Best of/Worst of threads...) and then checking for interesting new topics in my unread list.

I probably do miss a lot of messages in the longer and more active threads I'm in, like those I've mentioned above. Actually, as long as I bring it up, I wish that the little jump-to-unread button would take me to my first unread message rather than my last, as I often find myself having to back up a page to get caught up in the discussion. But these are first-world problems...

Scott5114

Quote from: empirestate on September 18, 2012, 01:05:04 AM
I probably do miss a lot of messages in the longer and more active threads I'm in, like those I've mentioned above. Actually, as long as I bring it up, I wish that the little jump-to-unread button would take me to my first unread message rather than my last, as I often find myself having to back up a page to get caught up in the discussion. But these are first-world problems...

If you're referring to the button, it does exactly that–jump to the oldest unread post. By viewing that thread, however, you mark the entire thread as being "read", even if you didn't actually view every page of the thread.

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 19, 2012, 06:23:54 AM
If you're referring to the button, it does exactly that–jump to the oldest unread post. By viewing that thread, however, you mark the entire thread as being "read", even if you didn't actually view every page of the thread.
Not since the recent update. Now if you don't notice that there's another page and close the tab/window the thread is still in the unread view and the new link now goes to the next page.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

empirestate

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 19, 2012, 06:23:54 AM
Quote from: empirestate on September 18, 2012, 01:05:04 AM

Hot damn...I didn't even realize that was a button. And here I've been using the Last Post button like a sucker!

6a

Quote from: empirestate on September 19, 2012, 07:54:04 AM

Hot damn...I didn't even realize that was a button. And here I've been using the Last Post button like a sucker!

That's OK, I always hit the 'next' button on the bottom right thinking it's taking me to the next page in a thread, since that's how all the other forums I read work.

As for my reading habits, I ignore Fictional Highways and a bunch of the regional boards - Fictional because it bores me, and the regional ones because they simply talk about things I have no knowledge or experience with.  I'll check up on the Meta ones once a month or so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.