News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Contracts and carriers

Started by mcdonaat, September 27, 2012, 06:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 02, 2012, 12:42:13 PM

QuoteOr maybe you're a business and need a phone line to conduct credit card transactions.
there's gotta be a way to do that online or via a cell phone.  I knew someone in 2000-2001 who was working on connecting a card reader to a cell phone - wonder where he got with that, but it's been about 12 years so someone must've gotten somewhere.

I've seen people use credit-card readers that are attached to iPhones or iPads via the connector where you plug in the cable. The most frequent places I've seen that sort of thing has been at events like wine festivals and the like where it's impractical or impossible to have a conventional machine.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DaBigE

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2012, 01:27:10 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 02, 2012, 12:42:13 PM

QuoteOr maybe you're a business and need a phone line to conduct credit card transactions.
there's gotta be a way to do that online or via a cell phone.  I knew someone in 2000-2001 who was working on connecting a card reader to a cell phone - wonder where he got with that, but it's been about 12 years so someone must've gotten somewhere.

I've seen people use credit-card readers that are attached to iPhones or iPads via the connector where you plug in the cable. The most frequent places I've seen that sort of thing has been at events like wine festivals and the like where it's impractical or impossible to have a conventional machine.

I think Jen from Shipping Wars tried to use one of those for one of her deliveries. The guy's card ended up being declined, IIRC.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2012, 01:27:10 PM

I have as well - but I believe those use TCP/IP as opposed to connecting directly to the cell network.  basically, you get a reader that swipes the number, as opposed to having to key it in, but after that it's just like a web portal.

correct me if I'm wrong!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

I'm most frustrated by Verizon's unwillingness to let me switch to a smartphone without signing up for a data plan.  I would love to switch to a GSM-capable device for roaming in México, but finding one that is both cheap and not a smartphone is a difficult task.  I currently have an old Blackberry (GSM-capable) that my wife used to use, but I can't switch to that without paying extra for a data plan.

I'm actually thinking about buying a prepaid SIM card online with a Mexico City phone number (how the company does this legally I don't know, since the equivalent of a SSN is required for purchasing a SIM card in México), then buying an unlocked GSM-capable phone on eBay, and putting the two together.  It may end up being cheaper than either buying a new non-data GSM-capable phone from Verizon or adding data to my current plan.  The main disadvantage to that would be that Americans would have to dial an international number to reach me, and Mexicans would have to dial long-distance–basically, it would be expensive for everybody but me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mcdonaat

I use my HTC Trophy as a global phone; Verizon unlocked it for me, and I can just as easily hop onto AT&T or T-Mobile for phone service if I need to. I find it useful for maps, and also for checking on Facebook updates or just old-fashioned calling.

hbelkins

Quote from: mcdonaat on October 03, 2012, 11:03:34 PM
I use my HTC Trophy as a global phone; Verizon unlocked it for me, and I can just as easily hop onto AT&T or T-Mobile for phone service if I need to. I find it useful for maps, and also for checking on Facebook updates or just old-fashioned calling.

I thought phones were restricted to being either CDMA or GSM. Didn't know you could switch between CDMA carriers (Verizon) and GSM (AT&T or T-Mobile.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: hbelkins on October 03, 2012, 11:14:32 PM

I thought phones were restricted to being either CDMA or GSM. Didn't know you could switch between CDMA carriers (Verizon) and GSM (AT&T or T-Mobile.)

AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon all use the same LTE (4G) standard these days.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

mcdonaat

Caught me by surprise when I opened the back and took the battery out... lo and behold, a Verizon 3G SIM card in place. I took the SIM out and powered the phone back on, and it still worked... might have been a placeholder or something. Any Verizon or Sprint global phone uses a SIM card slot, it's what makes it global, and this does include the iPhone 5GS or whatever it's called (supposedly the iPhone 5, which is the sixth generation iPhone).

kphoger

Funny, I called the Verizon store and they said they wouldn't unlock my phone.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mcdonaat on October 04, 2012, 03:07:25 AM
Caught me by surprise when I opened the back and took the battery out... lo and behold, a Verizon 3G SIM card in place. I took the SIM out and powered the phone back on, and it still worked... might have been a placeholder or something. Any Verizon or Sprint global phone uses a SIM card slot, it's what makes it global, and this does include the iPhone 5GS or whatever it's called (supposedly the iPhone 5, which is the sixth generation iPhone).

The Verizon Wireless 3G phones run on their CDMA network and do not need a SIM card.  But if you have a Verizon "global" device (I have a "global" Blackberry), then it has a SIM card, wich will allow it to work on GSM networks outside of the United States (apparently the "preferred" network is Vodafone, which makes plenty of sense, since Vodafone owns 49% of Verizon Wireless).

Verizon 4G LTE phones do use a SIM card.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

You can't, but Verizon Wireless offers many phones that run on their CDMA network in North America and Vodafone's GSM network in other parts of the world.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 04, 2012, 02:47:25 PM

You can't, but Verizon Wireless offers many phones that run on their CDMA network in North America and Vodafone's GSM network in other parts of the world.

My wife's old GSM-capable Blackberry, for example, is able to roam in Parras (Coahuila, México) on the Telcel (read: América Móvil) network, whereas my CDMA-only LG thingy has zero service.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.