News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

xkcd Webcomics: Traffic Lights

Started by US71, October 03, 2012, 10:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

realjd

Alps

formulanone

Ok, I'll be the first to admit I don't get the initial comic.

Any others?

Scott5114

I think the initial one was just Randall trying to come up with as many silly signal configurations as possible.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

I don't find the traffic light gif at all funny, either...

The humor is of course supposed to lie in that it makes no sense. But I see that and get irked by it (it's clearly wrong and it bothers my OCD) rather than finding it silly.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

I see it and think 'oh, it's a standard bikelane deathtrap'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

I recall a "blue light" used for the flying cars in one scene from the movie Heavy Metal.

realjd

Quote from: NE2 on October 04, 2012, 11:05:14 PM

Bike lanes? Don't you know bikes are supposed to stay on sidewalks? Leave the roads to adults!

roadman

Quote from: realjd on October 08, 2012, 09:14:18 PM
Quote from: NE2 on October 04, 2012, 11:05:14 PM

Bike lanes? Don't you know bikes are supposed to stay on sidewalks? Leave the roads to adults!

In Massachusetts at least, cyclists are under no legal obligation to actually use bike lanes when they're provided on streets.  So there are areas (Mass. Ave Bridge between Boston and Cambridge for one) with bike lanes where most cyclists use the sidewalks instead.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

english si

realjd wasn't being literal - just referring back to a previous thread on cycling where the feeling from some quarters was that cyclists had no right to be on the road and therefore must be on sidewalks.

In the UK, cycling on the sidewalks is illegal due to it being chuffing dangerous to both pedestrian and cyclist alike.

deathtopumpkins

I've heard from people on Reddit that the traffic signal comic is actually based on a signal in, I believe, Cambridge, Mass, and that it is intended as a reference to the ridiculous signal setups that are all too common across Massachusetts.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

amroad17

I do like the blue/purple light and the bird on the wire.

Could you imagine the daily traffic reports concerning that intersection, if there was one like this?
"... and we have yet another eight car pile-up at that damn intersection of (insert cross streets here) today!  Police and fire are responding.  Traffic is backed up for six blocks.  If you can find a detour around this, take it!"
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.