News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

A Geographer Who Navigated the Globe

Started by cpzilliacus, October 15, 2012, 12:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

NewGeography.com: A Geographer Who Navigated the Globe

QuoteMany people ask, "What do geographers do?"  I would suggest that Marvin Creamer's life story is all you need to know about the practical application of geography, even though most of us will never be stuck in a horizonless Indian Ocean on a "sea of glass" , or try to navigate the ferocious Drake's Passage. Ancient mariners may have been able to sail long distances without instruments, but it is difficult, tricky, and can be extremely hazardous. Only one person, New Jersey's Marvin Creamer, has ever attempted to circumnavigate the globe this way. I had the distinct honor of interviewing Marvin Creamer for the thirtieth anniversary of his historic achievement. The 96 year old sailor and geographer also founded Rowan University's geography department, and taught there for over three decades.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

I wonder why he decided that he absolutely had to have the hourglass. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

english si

I didn't think that the globe needed navigating, that gravity kept it in orbit.

Circumnavigate is the word that headline is looking for and it's in the article. Silly editor...

Road Hog

Just by using the "hand method" from Polaris to the zenith (for lack of a better phrase) you can pretty well guesstimate your latitude, and I guess the same is true for the Southern Cross. The challenge is to keep your heading in the correct direction, which can be charted ahead of time but is easier said than done because of winds and currents.

This was a much-man feat and I'm saddened that it wasn't better-publicized.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.