News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Suburban Kansas Dream: Museum of Suburbia

Started by cpzilliacus, October 24, 2012, 10:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

From the Wall Street JournalSuburban Kansas Dream: Museum of Suburbia - Plan for Exhibits on Bowling, Lawn Furniture Inspires Neighborhood Spat; Faux Fence

QuoteMore than half of America lives in the suburbs. The others, too, will be able to savor suburbia by coming to this Kansas City, Mo., suburb if local planners have their way.

QuoteMuseum officials in Johnson County, Kan., propose spending $34 million to create the National Museum of Suburbia, a faux suburb where visitors could wander through a model ranch-style home, wonder at an exhibit of lawn furniture and topple pins on a re-created bowling lane.

QuoteAmong envisioned exhibits, to be built inside a cavernous former bowling alley and skating rink: a backyard fence with peepholes that let museum visitors spy on fake suburban neighbors played by actors in period suburban clothing.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Scott5114

Why am I not surprised someone had this idea in Johnson County...?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

It is indeed very much a Johnson County thing--one museum dedicated to the suburban lifestyle, which has been open for at least a decade and which I have visited, is the All-Electric House.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 24, 2012, 10:54:04 PM
It is indeed very much a Johnson County thing--one museum dedicated to the suburban lifestyle, which has been open for at least a decade and which I have visited, is the All-Electric House.

The article mentions that the museum that, erm, houses the All-Electric House was damaged by a flood. Having a better place to store it and other suburban artifacts was what led to the Suburban Museum idea.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

realjd

A "re-created" bowling lane? It's not like the knowledge on how to construct bowling lanes was lost centuries ago or something.

Alps

It's not like you can't just go to an actual suburb. Like the one housing this museum. WTF?

NE2

TV screens in the lawn care area play the Star Trek episode where Wesley faces the death penalty for stepping on plants on repeat.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.