News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highway Of Heroes

Started by ghYHZ, November 09, 2012, 08:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

With Remembrance Day in Canada and Veterans Day in the US on Monday November 11........some Highway Honours......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1R8qLAmkLU 

And wearing a Poppy seems to be a tradition in Canada which I didn't see much of in the US on a trip to Maine last weekend. Here a TV news anchor or politician just wouldn't be caught without one on in the couple of weeks leading up to November 11...also many others wear them too. It's a big fund raiser for the local Legion Branches.

NE2

Let's celebrate the fact that we didn't stop fighting immediately but waited until a day with a cute number.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Let's celebrate the end of war and the beginning of a worldwide era of peaceohwait

The High Plains Traveler

This also reminds us how much more efficient a language English is compared to French.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Scott5114

Veterans Day doesn't seem to be as much of a big deal in the US as it used to be, or as it is in Canada. Several people at work have expressed confusion at being told they have a holiday that they have to schedule this pay period.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on November 10, 2012, 10:03:36 AM
This also reminds us how much more efficient a language English is compared to French.
Meh. "Route des vétérans" would work as far as I'm concerned; but "anciens combattans" does seem to be the official prefered term for some reason.

Ontario uses "Highway of Heroes"/"Autoroute des héros", Québec uses "Autoroute du Souvenir" (Highway of Rememberance) for the A-20 stretch and "Route de la Bravoure" (Highway of Bravery) for A-573.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.