News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

No more hostess Twinkies:(

Started by Lyon Wonder, November 16, 2012, 09:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

A sad day indeed.  Striking themselves out of a job.  Imitation hostess products are just not the same

triplemultiplex

I never liked the damn things very much.  We were a Little Debbie family.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bugo

Quote from: Beltway on November 19, 2012, 01:43:12 PM
Quote from: bugo on November 19, 2012, 01:18:05 AM
The BMI is bullshit.  According to it, many pro athletes would be considered "obese." 

A BMI of 25 is a normal weight, i.e. not overweight.

No, it's government propaganda designed to make everyone think they're fat.

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on November 19, 2012, 02:33:13 PM
The BMI is bullshit.  According to it, many pro athletes would be considered "obese." 

Actually it is a neutral mathematical calculation, a function of height and weight.  It's not even gender specific.  For example, if you are 5'9" tall, 168 pounds is a BMI of 25.0.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: roadman on November 19, 2012, 09:21:57 AM
Quote from: Brandon on November 18, 2012, 04:29:33 PM
They never could anyway.  They last 25 days.  I know, I've picked up a number of them from under grocery gondolas when i was working my way through college.  Twinkies do in fact grow mold.

Better check the batteries in your sarcasm meter.
They can outlast a nuclear holocaust, but only if you can get to them within 25 days.

vdeane

Quote from: texaskdog on November 19, 2012, 02:10:05 PM
A sad day indeed.  Striking themselves out of a job.  Imitation hostess products are just not the same

The company could have negotiated with the union.  It chose to shut down instead.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bugo

Quote from: Beltway on November 19, 2012, 03:21:58 PM

Actually it is a neutral mathematical calculation, a function of height and weight.  It's not even gender specific.  For example, if you are 5'9" tall, 168 pounds is a BMI of 25.0.

According to the BMI, Michael Jordan is obese.  It's bullshit and you know it.

empirestate

Quote from: deanej on November 19, 2012, 07:22:50 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on November 19, 2012, 02:10:05 PM

The company could have negotiated with the union.  It chose to shut down instead.

Apparently no longer true, for the moment:
http://hostessbrands.com/Closed.aspx (2nd paragraph)

Duke87

Quote from: Steve on November 19, 2012, 06:37:03 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 19, 2012, 09:21:57 AM
Quote from: Brandon on November 18, 2012, 04:29:33 PM
They never could anyway.  They last 25 days.  I know, I've picked up a number of them from under grocery gondolas when i was working my way through college.  Twinkies do in fact grow mold.

Better check the batteries in your sarcasm meter.
They can outlast a nuclear holocaust, but only if you can get to them within 25 days.

These sort of products can last a lot longer than that if you keep them sealed (mold spores cannot get through airtight plastic). It's once you open them that they go bad.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on November 19, 2012, 07:24:09 PM
Quote from: Beltway on November 19, 2012, 03:21:58 PM

According to the BMI, Michael Jordan is obese.  It's bullshit and you know it.

Listed height -  6 ft 6 in
Listed weight - 216 lb
Your BMI: 25.0

-- IOW, not overweight.

Now if you are 5'2" and weigh 216 pounds, and are not athletic, you are obese.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

WillWeaverRVA

BTW, the company has been ordered by a judge to seek mediation with the union, so there will still be Twinkies for the foreseeable future.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alps

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 19, 2012, 10:39:52 PM
BTW, the company has been ordered by a judge to seek mediation with the union, so there will still be Twinkies for the foreseeable future.
BTW, mediation failed, just like the use of a broad-brush statistic like BMI in describing people's physical health.

Beltway

Quote from: Steve on November 20, 2012, 07:34:35 PM
BTW, mediation failed, just like the use of a broad-brush statistic like BMI in describing people's physical health.

Strawman.  Nobody used "a broad-brush statistic like BMI in describing people's physical health."

Like I posted, BMI is a neutral mathematical calculation, a function of height and weight, and it's not even gender specific. 

Now, if your BMI is 45, and you are not athletic, and you are sedentary, then ...

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Duke87

I was in 20 different grocery stores today for work. I noted an unusually robust stock of Little Debbie products in a few of them...

Most places, of course, are completely out of anything Hostess or Drake's, and the places that do have something left only have the less popular stuff.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on November 20, 2012, 08:46:02 PM

Strawman.  Nobody used "a broad-brush statistic like BMI in describing people's physical health."

Like I posted, BMI is a neutral mathematical calculation, a function of height and weight, and it's not even gender specific. 

Now, if your BMI is 45, and you are not athletic, and you are sedentary, then ...
People tend to use BMI for things it's not meant for. A person with a BMI of 30 can be much healthier than someone with a BMI of 20. I have a target weight that's based on a mix of activity and diet, not what some national scale reads off.

bugo

The BMI doesn't take body frame size into consideration.  I have a large frame, and wide shoulders, and if I were only skin and bones my BMI would still be above 25.  It's like using a wide paintbrush to paint thin lines.

Post Merge: November 21, 2012, 12:40:34 AM

Quote from: Steve on November 20, 2012, 10:58:39 PM

People tend to use BMI for things it's not meant for. A person with a BMI of 30 can be much healthier than someone with a BMI of 20. I have a target weight that's based on a mix of activity and diet, not what some national scale reads off.

Not to mention that muscle weighs more than fat.

[Let's avoid comments on people's physical attributes... -S.]

6a

Quote from: Duke87 on November 20, 2012, 08:59:02 PM
I was in 20 different grocery stores today for work. I noted an unusually robust stock of Little Debbie products in a few of them...

Most places, of course, are completely out of anything Hostess or Drake's, and the places that do have something left only have the less popular stuff.

Yeah, we have about a pallet left of Dolly Madison stuff, mainly Zingers, then it's on to the off-brand stuff.  No Hostess left at all - in fact, they left all their racks and trays and shit behind for us to deal with.

Beltway

BMI of 20 is the threshold of being underweight.  Under 20 is underweight.  Being too thin has health issues itself.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Takumi

Don't worry guys, I got this!
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bugo

Quote from: bugo on November 21, 2012, 12:33:46 AM

The BMI doesn't take body frame size into consideration.  I have a large frame, and wide shoulders, and if I were only skin and bones my BMI would still be above 25.  It's like using a wide paintbrush to paint thin lines.

Post Merge: November 21, 2012, 12:40:34 AM

I was just asking a question.  Are we not allowed to ask questions on here?

And he indirectly called me obese because my "BMI" is over 25.  Be consistent.

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on November 21, 2012, 09:34:56 PM
Quote from: bugo on November 21, 2012, 12:33:46 AM
Nobody used "a broad-brush statistic like BMI in describing people's physical health."

I was just asking a question.  Are we not allowed to ask questions on here?

And he indirectly called me obese because my "BMI" is over 25.  Be consistent.

Baloney, any way you slice it.

I posted no such defintion of "BMI over 25"

(Robert Coté, 2002)

bugo

You said that you believed the BMI was accurate.  Which is indirectly saying that I'm obese.  I simply asked you if you lost 150 lbs since the roadmeet picture was taken.

kphoger

I'm over 6 feet tall, and weigh less than 125, maybe even less than 120.  A couple of years ago, we signed up at the YMCA, and they had me use one of those handheld automatic BMI calculators.  I don't how it works, but you just hold it with your hands and it tells you your BMI.  Mine returned an error code.  :)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mcdonaat

Found out that my local Walmart (just a Walmart, not a supercenter) has a full stock of Twinkies and other Hostess brands. I don't care about the Twinkie, but I do care about cupcakes and mini muffins.

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on November 21, 2012, 11:12:14 PM
You said that you believed the BMI was accurate.  Which is indirectly saying that I'm obese.  I simply asked you if you lost 150 lbs since the roadmeet picture was taken.

No, I didn't, no I didn't, and no I didn't.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.