News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

No more hostess Twinkies:(

Started by Lyon Wonder, November 16, 2012, 09:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on November 22, 2012, 11:18:34 PM
Quote from: bugo on November 21, 2012, 11:12:14 PM
You said that you believed the BMI was accurate.  Which is indirectly saying that I'm obese.  I simply asked you if you lost 150 lbs since the roadmeet picture was taken.

No, I didn't, no I didn't, and no I didn't.
Guys, we're done here. Take it offline.
Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2012, 02:21:31 PM
I'm over 6 feet tall, and weigh less than 125, maybe even less than 120.  A couple of years ago, we signed up at the YMCA, and they had me use one of those handheld automatic BMI calculators.  I don't how it works, but you just hold it with your hands and it tells you your BMI.  Mine returned an error code.  :)
EAT

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

florida

Never cared for them, they haven't been good in years. Fruit is better.
So many roads...so little time.

kphoger

Quote from: Steve on November 23, 2012, 05:04:10 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2012, 02:21:31 PM
I'm over 6 feet tall, and weigh less than 125, maybe even less than 120.  A couple of years ago, we signed up at the YMCA, and they had me use one of those handheld automatic BMI calculators.  I don't how it works, but you just hold it with your hands and it tells you your BMI.  Mine returned an error code.  :)
EAT

Oh, trust me, that is not the problem.  The difference between me eating light and healthy and eating like a pig is maybe five pounds.  I'm worried I'll end up with cholesterol problems later in life because of that, because nothing is forcing me to watch what I eat.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

My "BMI" is a little over 30.  While I have a beer belly and I need to lose some weight, there's no way I'm "obese."  As I said, I have a large frame and wide shoulders.  The BMI is weighted (no pun intended) towards those with small frames. 

Desert Man

Nothing lasts forever...including snack cakes we grew up with and loved. May the last twinkie last into immorality in someone's disaster kit whenever the world ends. I grew up with Twinkies, Ho-hos, Cupcakes and other goodies made by the Hostess company based in San Francisco, the closing down of the company is bad enough for the golden state's ailing economy. I wanted to introduce my children to Hostess treats, then again it's bad eating habits I'm promoting (LOL), but they been around for 80-some years when my grandparents were young themselves, talking about passing down great desserts
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

US71

Quote from: Mike D boy on November 25, 2012, 03:04:29 AM
Nothing lasts forever...including snack cakes we grew up with and loved. May the last twinkie last into immorality in someone's disaster kit whenever the world ends. I grew up with Twinkies, Ho-hos, Cupcakes and other goodies made by the Hostess company based in San Francisco, the closing down of the company is bad enough for the golden state's ailing economy. I wanted to introduce my children to Hostess treats, then again it's bad eating habits I'm promoting (LOL), but they been around for 80-some years when my grandparents were young themselves, talking about passing down great desserts

Somehow, I doubt we've seen the end of Twinkies. I'm sure once they clear bankruptcy, they will find a new owner. It would be great if the employees could pool their money together to buy it.
Either way, I'm sure they will be around for a long time.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

english si

Quote from: bugo on November 24, 2012, 06:55:56 PMMy "BMI" is a little over 30.  While I have a beer belly and I need to lose some weight, there's no way I'm "obese."
There's such a thing as "overweight" without being "obese".
QuoteAs I said, I have a large frame and wide shoulders.  The BMI is weighted (no pun intended) towards those with small frames.
I have a small frame, and as a teenager my body weight considered underweight (which I could help much - it's pretty much impossible for me to put on weight beyond a certain, rather skinny, level). BMI was biased against my skinny frame.

In fact, even when I was the BMI I am now (while I've put on a pound or two and finally have 30" waist, I've also grown an inch) as a student I was on the threshold. However, they have ended that bias against skinny frames (certainly not biased it to such frames) shifted the bottom end down (why?), so all my teenage underweight years now wouldn't be.

In other words, BMI is a poor guide.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.