News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Preventing the Next Sandy

Started by cpzilliacus, November 18, 2012, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Quote from: Beltway on November 19, 2012, 03:29:02 PM
I doubt that a reputable insurance company would nitpick between whether the wind was over or under 74 mph (hurricane force).  For one thing, at any one location the wind profiles won't necessarily be known exactly.

At least in Florida, it absolutely matters. Our homowners insurance policies have different deductibles for hurricane claims and non-hurricane claims. It has nothing to do with whether the company is reputable or not for us.

empirestate

Quote from: realjd on November 19, 2012, 07:17:51 PM
Quote from: Beltway on November 19, 2012, 03:29:02 PM
I doubt that a reputable insurance company would nitpick between whether the wind was over or under 74 mph (hurricane force).  For one thing, at any one location the wind profiles won't necessarily be known exactly.

At least in Florida, it absolutely matters. Our homowners insurance policies have different deductibles for hurricane claims and non-hurricane claims. It has nothing to do with whether the company is reputable or not for us.

I had one of the most reputable companies there for my auto insurance. Believe me, they will nitpick.

Quote from: texaskdog on November 19, 2012, 04:01:44 PM
I'm betting there was global warming during the 1900 Galveston Hurricane :P  So tired of these unproven theories

All theories are unproven; they cannot be otherwise. There is no scientific way to tell us the sun will come up tomorrow, only that it has every prior day under the same circumstances. If it doesn't rise tomorrow, that theory will have been disproved, and will need modification.

Beltway

Quote from: Steve on November 19, 2012, 07:11:55 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2012, 06:55:29 PM
I'm in favor of not rebuilding these cities on barrier islands.  Barrier islands, by their very nature are vulnerable to storms and also have a nasty tendency to move over time (regardless of one's opinions on climate; their movement and vulnerability are geologic fact).
The issue in NJ is that there's so much revenue coming in from them, there's probably a good financial case to spending the rebuilding money now. Otherwise, the Jersey Shore withers and this state will be out at least tens of billions a year.

Same deal with the N.C. Outer Banks.  At least, the state claims that they generate far more tax revenue at all 3 levels of government, than it does in tax revenue to support them, including repairing storm damage.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

NJRoadfan

Quote from: empirestate on November 19, 2012, 12:04:32 AM
I have heard the distinction between hurricane and tropical storm, and presumably post-tropical cyclone as well, makes a difference as far as some insurance policies go, but I really don't know the details.

Both NJ and NY's insurance regulatory bodies have ruled that Sandy was classed as post tropical when it hit and that hurricane deductibles on homeowner's policies do NOT apply.

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on November 19, 2012, 04:13:35 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on November 19, 2012, 04:01:44 PM
http://www.prisonplanet.com/
bahahahahahaha

"I don't wanna talk to a scientist, y'all mother fuckers lying and gettin me pissed" - Insane Clown Posse, Miracles
Another fine NE 2 post.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 19, 2012, 11:50:28 PM
Quote from: empirestate on November 19, 2012, 12:04:32 AM
I have heard the distinction between hurricane and tropical storm, and presumably post-tropical cyclone as well, makes a difference as far as some insurance policies go, but I really don't know the details.

Both NJ and NY's insurance regulatory bodies have ruled that Sandy was classed as post tropical when it hit and that hurricane deductibles on homeowner's policies do NOT apply.

Then they should be sued.  To say that a "post tropical cyclone" with Category 1 winds, is not functionally (to the homeowners) the same as a Category 1 hurricane, is illogical and is unfair to the policyholders.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Beltway on November 22, 2012, 11:22:34 PM
Then they should be sued.  To say that a "post tropical cyclone" with Category 1 winds, is not functionally (to the homeowners) the same as a Category 1 hurricane, is illogical and is unfair to the policyholders.

We've had nor'easters (a form of extra tropical cyclone) here with tropical force and hurricane force winds in the past. So it is not out of the ordinary for it to occur here. The difference is the storm's power source. This storm was unique in that it transformed from tropical to extra tropical and actually strengthened in the process. Keep in mind that NWS didn't even issue hurricane wind advisories for the coast line (which confused many, NWS explained why), because it wasn't technically a hurricane.

Beltway

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 23, 2012, 12:09:22 AM

We've had nor'easters (a form of extra tropical cyclone) here with tropical force and hurricane force winds in the past. So it is not out of the ordinary for it to occur here. The difference is the storm's power source. This storm was unique in that it transformed from tropical to extra tropical and actually strengthened in the process. Keep in mind that NWS didn't even issue hurricane wind advisories for the coast line (which confused many, NWS explained why), because it wasn't technically a hurricane.

But it was a cyclone with sustained 80+ mph winds and a defined eye.  The effect at ground level to the human environment was the same as a hurricane, including the storm surge.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

MVHighways

You know what? I have ZERO idea why they care about its TROPICAL status for insurance. Insure people if the winds and rain persist AFTER losing tropical characteristics!

Keep in mind that NWS didn't even issue hurricane wind advisories for the coast line (which confused many, NWS explained why), because it wasn't technically a hurricane.
They DID issue high wind warnings, which is the land equivalent for post-tropical advisories and "hurricane wind advisories" for post-tropicals. There are like a million of these advisories for the waters, though, like Small Craft Advisory, Gale Warning, Storm Warning, Hurricane Force Wind Warning for non-tropicals and the Hurricane and Tropical Storm Warnings for tropicals (the hurricane/t.s. warnings are issued for land too). If it continued as a hurricane they would probably issue tropical storm/hurricane warnings, which would replace everything else.

RECAP:

==WIND ALERTS USED FOR POST-TROPICALS==
LAND: HIGH WIND WARNING
WATER: STORM WARNING AND HURRICANE FORCE WIND WARNING

==ALL-AROUND ALERTS USED FOR TROPICALS==
TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR THOSE BETWEEN 39 AND 73 MPH
HURRICANE WARNING FOR 74+ MPH

Quote from: Beltway on November 23, 2012, 12:37:35 AM
The effect at ground level to the human environment was the same as a hurricane, including the storm surge.
Right ;)

Oh, and land here includes both inland and coastline areas.

Scott5114

People bought insurance which includes coverage in the event of a hurricane. If it's not a hurricane, guess what? They don't have to pay out millions of dollars in claims.

This is how the insurance industry works.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 23, 2012, 09:42:45 AM
People bought insurance which includes coverage in the event of a hurricane. If it's not a hurricane, guess what? They don't have to pay out millions of dollars in claims.

This is how the insurance industry works.

The insurance companies lost out on this storm. The difference is how the claim is paid out. If it was a hurricane, a "hurricane deductible" would have applied which is usually a percentage (1-5% is typical) of the property value. Since Sandy wasn't classed as such, the standard flat deductible for home wind/rain/fire damage claims (usually $500-1000) applied. The fact that Sandy wasn't a "hurricane" and NJ/NY/DE/MD/PA/CT/MA/RI/WV/VT ruled as such was a GOOD THING for home owners claiming damage on their insurance policies.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.