News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

TRIVIA NIGHT results and host registration

Started by Alps, December 07, 2012, 09:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

ONE WEEK UNTIL TRIVIA. July 17 at 9 PM Eastern (6 PM West Coast).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

Sorry, I won't make it to trivia this time.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

corco

I'll be on the road so I don't know if I'll be around either, definitely not before 10 eastern or so

NE2

Would there be a better day for either of you (or anyone else)?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

corco

Yeah a week later there's a very good chance I'll be around

froggie

I'd be interested in hosting once I'm back from sea...either late October or November.

NE2

NE2

NE2

Final scores:

alps 19
moland 14
alex 10
corco 6
piano 6
ian 5
zmapper -4
franken -3
route56 -1

There's question about whether Molandfreak is a lying cheater. If so, he doesn't get his 10 points from the last question. Corco would have gotten more than 1 on it in that case and might have beaten Alex.

Good game anyway, and Steve won whether or not Chewbacca lives on Endor.

Alps

[NE2] 12:04 am: alps 19
...moland 14
...alex 10
...corco 6
...piano 6
...ian 5
...zmapper -4
...franken -3
...route56 -1

... I'm not hosting again for a little while. Someone else, please?

NE2

1. ALABAMA.
This U.S. Route was mostly replaced by US 431 in the 1950s.

2. ALASKA.
This is the only road in Alaska with exit numbers.

3. ARIZONA.
A rural portion of this U.S. Route in eastern Arizona had an AADT of 80 in 2008.

4. ARKANSAS.
Highway 5 used to carry this U.S. Route from Hot Springs to Benton.

5. CALIFORNIA.
It is approximately 420 miles from Yakima, Washington to this city at the south end of US 97.

6. COLORADO.
State Highway 789 overlapped this route north of US 6-24 at Rifle.

7. CONNECTICUT.
This is the only single-digit route number with no freeway segments.

8. DELAWARE.
This state route used to connect with a same-numbered route in New Jersey via a ferry.

9. DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.
These two one-way tunnels pass under the National Mall.

10. FLORIDA.
In 1939 the state legislature required the State Road Department to "change the name of State Road Number 19 to some other appropriate number, which does not contain the digits one or nine". The SRD chose this number, which remained on the portion between Chiefland and Ocala after the 1945 renumbering.

11. GEORGIA.
In GRIP, Georgia's program to widen roads to four lanes for economic development, the G stands for this.

12. HAWAII.
Hawaii Route Five-0 is on this island.

13. IDAHO.
This U.S. Route used to enter Idaho, but has been rerouted to the east.

14. ILLINOIS.
The Dixie Highway south from Chicago is not a U.S. Route. Instead it has carried this state route number since 1918.

15. INDIANA.
According to Google Maps, it takes 13 minutes to walk the portion of this U.S. Route in Indiana.

16. IOWA.
This four-lane diagonal connects Des Moines to US 30.

17. KANSAS.
This U.S. Route used to stairstep through southwestern Kansas, ending at US 50 in Syracuse.

18. KENTUCKY.
The most direct route between Frankfort and Lexington is not US 60, but this route.

19. LOUISIANA.
This state highway extends to Venice, the end of the Great River Road.

20. MAINE.
This state route connects Portland to Bangor, mostly piggybacked on other routes.

21. MARYLAND.
I-795 parallels this former U.S. Route.

22. MASSACHUSETTS.
Before it was extended south through downtown Boston, I-93 officially ended at this route.

23. MICHIGAN.
I-75 replaced this state highway that connected US 23 to US 27.

24. MINNESOTA.
The Canadian border crossing on this route was closed on June 8, 2003.

25. MISSISSIPPI.
I-59 was realigned in this city to eliminate several sharp curves.

26. MISSOURI.
The Mississippi River Trail uses special ramps onto the shoulders of this freeway to cross the Missouri River.

27. MONTANA.
Into the late 1920s, drivers on US 2 had to use the Great Northern Railway as a 'ferry' over this pass.

28. NEBRASKA.
When I-29 was built in Iowa, US 75 was moved west into Nebraska between Omaha and Sioux City, replacing this route.

29. NEVADA.
This is the longest state route on the National Highway System in Nevada.

30. NEW HAMPSHIRE.
Where NH 28 turns off the old Londonderry Turnpike in Derry to serve Manchester, this route continues straight to Hooksett.

31. NEW JERSEY.
The Garden State Parkway charges no toll in either direction between Perth Amboy and this cross-state route in Union.

32. NEW MEXICO. MULTI-PART.
Name the routes on each of New Mexico's three non-Interstate freeways.

33. NEW YORK.
This route begins near the Canadian border and ends soon after passing through the town of Mexico.

34. NORTH CAROLINA.
AASHTO approved moving this U.S. Route from a US 70 overlap to a longer northerly loop between Morgantown and Statesville in the late 1980s.

35. NORTH DAKOTA.
Instead of following US 81 for most of the distance north of Grand Forks, I-29 was built along or next to this state highway.

36. OHIO.
Coincidentally, the west half of SR 32 had this number before 1963, when the Interstates caused a renumbering.

37. OKLAHOMA.
Grand Boulevard used to form a complete circle around this city, but much of it has been replaced by freeways.

38. OREGON.
US 95 is called the I.O.N. Highway, which stands for this.

39. PENNSYLVANIA.
In the mid-1930s, US 120 between Sunbury and Reading became part of this route.

40. RHODE ISLAND.
Routes 1, 2, and 3 all used to connect Providence to this town.

41. SOUTH CAROLINA.
Most of the federal routes in Charleston are multiples of this prime.

42. SOUTH DAKOTA.
These two routes used to split at Philip Junction, about 90 miles east of Rapid City.

43. TENNESSEE.
I-65 replaced this short route in 2000.

44. TEXAS.
According to the 1940 Rand McNally atlas, the Neches River bridge between Port Arthur and Orange on this state highway that follows the Gulf coast and Texas's eastern border was the highest in the South at 183 feet above water.

45. UTAH.
This company sponsored a new Lincoln Highway alignment across the desert in western Utah; it is now inside the Dugway Proving Ground.

46. VERMONT.
This is the longest four-lane non-Interstate freeway in Vermont.

47. VIRGINIA. MULTI-PART.
Name the U.S. Routes that continue, or used to continue, beyond their termini as same-numbered state routes.

48. WASHINGTON.
When US 10 was moved south between Teanaway and Spokane in about 1940, the old route became US 10 Alternate. Less than 10 years later, most of it (where not part of US 97) became part of this route.

49. WEST VIRGINIA.
This state route used to parallel the future alignments of I-79 and I-68 from Bridgeport to Bruceton Mills.

50. WISCONSIN.
Broadway in and near Madison is appropriately signed as this county highway.

51. WYOMING.
US 14 Alternate had this state highway number until the 1960s.

52. U.S. ROUTE HISTORY. 2 POINTS (-1 for incorrect).
The first removals of U.S. Routes from completed Interstate corridors were made in this state.

53. CANADA. 2 POINTS (-1 for incorrect).
In 1940, this province used letters rather than numbers for its highways.

54. U.S. ROUTE HISTORY. CLOSEST GUESS, 3 POINTS.
To the nearest one-tenth of one percent, what percentage of the more than 3000 county seats (or equivalent) in the contiguous U.S. are or have been served by a U.S. Route?

55. U.S. ROUTE HISTORY. 5 POINTS (-1 for incorrect, 0 for technically correct but not precise).
What do the following routes have in common? US 96, US 123 (Kentucky), US 126, US 156, US 159, US 163 (Iowa), US 223, US 227, US 260, US 312

56. CANADA. MULTI-PART.
List the numbers on the mainline Trans-Canada Highway (using the "Central Ontario Route").

57. MEXICO. MULTI-PART.
List the (unsuffixed) federal highways that serve cities on the U.S. border.

I'll give more details about 54 later.

1. ALABAMA. US 241
2. ALASKA. Johansen Expressway
3. ARIZONA. US 191
4. ARKANSAS. US 70
5. CALIFORNIA. Weed
6. COLORADO. SH 13
7. CONNECTICUT. 4
8. DELAWARE. SR 48
9. DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. 9th Street Tunnel, 12th Street Tunnel
10. FLORIDA. SR 500
11. GEORGIA. Governor's
12. HAWAII. Kauai
13. IDAHO. US 191
14. ILLINOIS. IL 1
15. INDIANA. US 131
16. IOWA. IA 330
17. KANSAS. US 270
18. KENTUCKY. US 421
19. LOUISIANA. LA 23
20. MAINE. SR 100
21. MARYLAND. US 140
22. MASSACHUSETTS. I-695
23. MICHIGAN. M-76
24. MINNESOTA. US 75
25. MISSISSIPPI. Laurel
26. MISSOURI. Route 370
27. MONTANA. Marias Pass
28. NEBRASKA. US 73
29. NEVADA. SR 318
30. NEW HAMPSHIRE. NH 28 Bypass
31. NEW JERSEY. US 22
32. NEW MEXICO. US 70, US 84-285, NM 423
33. NEW YORK. NY 104
34. NORTH CAROLINA. US 64
35. NORTH DAKOTA. ND 44
36. OHIO. SR 74
37. OKLAHOMA. Oklahoma City
38. OREGON. Idaho Oregon Nevada
39. PENNSYLVANIA. US 122
40. RHODE ISLAND. Westerly
41. SOUTH CAROLINA. 13
42. SOUTH DAKOTA. US 14, US 16
43. TENNESSEE. I-265
44. TEXAS. SH 87
45. UTAH. Goodyear
46. VERMONT. US 4
47. VIRGINIA. 13, 17, 33, 121, 158, 211, 258, 301, 311, 340, 501, 522
48. WASHINGTON. US 2
49. WEST VIRGINIA. WV 73
50. WISCONSIN. CTH BW
51. WYOMING. WY 14
52. U.S. ROUTE HISTORY. Michigan
53. CANADA. British Columbia
54. U.S. ROUTE HISTORY. 81.0%
55. U.S. ROUTE HISTORY. they were part of a longer route that was realigned or renumbered, and the butt end got this as a new number
56. CANADA. 1, 2, 7, 12, 17, 20, 25, 40, 69, 85, 104, 105, 185, 400, 417
57. MEXICO. 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 15, 16, 17, 29, 40, 45, 57, 85, 97, 101

Alex

The last two questions where each route gives someone one point makes it so someone could show up at the end and win by getting that one series correct. If multi-part questions are included with more than three answers, they earn a percentage based credit. So if there are 12 answers, and you get all 12, you get 3 or 4 points, and if you get just 3 or 4 out of the 12, you get 1 point.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Alex on July 25, 2013, 10:51:32 AM
The last two questions where each route gives someone one point makes it so someone could show up at the end and win by getting that one series correct. If multi-part questions are included with more than three answers, they earn a percentage based credit. So if there are 12 answers, and you get all 12, you get 3 or 4 points, and if you get just 3 or 4 out of the 12, you get 1 point.
That's fair.

Alps

Quote from: Alex on July 25, 2013, 10:51:32 AM
Someone sounds like he wants to host! The original trivia format was established well over a decade ago in IRC chat. That's where we figured out not to give questions in ABC order by state - people were using atlases and just turning the page. That's also where the multi-part questions at the end came from. You could be down 12 to -1 and still have a chance just by being there. While people may or may not like it, it's a "classic" element of the game. Point values can also double for the last 10 questions, or you can have more bonuses.

One idea: Instead of allowing the original answered to list all of them, everyone who buzzes in gets ONE answer. Then you go back to the first person and repeat. Once you pass, you're out of the "ring" of answerers.

Kacie Jane

Just throwing out out there, but I'd love to host at some point. I haven't participated yet because I've never been in the right place at the right time, and I'm currently doing all my internet via smartphone, but I'll try hard to make an appearance next month.

Alps

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 25, 2013, 06:56:52 PM
Just throwing out out there, but I'd love to host at some point. I haven't participated yet because I've never been in the right place at the right time, and I'm currently doing all my internet via smartphone, but I'll try hard to make an appearance next month.
How about, since Molandfreak indicated he might want to host next time, come join us, get a taste for it, and then you can host after that?

Alex

Quote from: Steve on July 25, 2013, 06:33:47 PM
One idea: Instead of allowing the original answered to list all of them, everyone who buzzes in gets ONE answer. Then you go back to the first person and repeat. Once you pass, you're out of the "ring" of answerers.

I like the concept of people buzzing in for those multi-part answers, so that more get the opportunity to participate in those multi-part questions. Plus it might speed things up, so we don't have 15-20 minutes per one question. I enjoyed the game, but it was already around 1130 when it ended.

Laura

Alps

Quote from: Laura Bianca on July 27, 2013, 07:40:19 PM
I want to host in September.
Excellent! CJ in August, Laura in September. Come join us for the August one (if you're not busy ;-) )!

dlainhart

Molandfreak

Next trivia: Wednesday, Aug. 28. Hope to see you there :)

NE2

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 20, 2013, 12:34:45 AM
Next trivia: Wednesday, Aug. 28. Hope to see you there :)
What time?

You're going down, awesome sheeples. (And I'm going to sleep now and counting sheeples.)

corco

Aw lame, i have to go to Missoula tonight.

Molandfreak

Important: I am sick with a fever. Trivia will be Friday the 30th.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.