News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TRIVIA NIGHT results and host registration

Started by Alps, December 07, 2012, 09:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: US 89 on February 16, 2020, 10:49:28 PM
As a reminder, in order to celebrate the life of the AARoads Chatroom as we know it, there will be one last trivia night this Wednesday night (time is above). It will follow the same general format as the previous two trivia nights, but with a few minor adjustments of my own.
time is 8:30 EST

US 89

Trivia will be tonight at 6:30 PM MST (8:30 EST), in the AARoads Chat Room. Feel free to convert to whatever time zone you identify with, as long as it isn't UTC. If chat observes UTC, well...we'll deal with that if we have to.

Rules for tonight are as follows:

• There will be 50 questions. Most US states will be represented, but there will also be a few general US and international questions.
  • After each question is posted, there will be a 30 second period to respond. To respond to a question, PM the host directly with your answer. Only your first guess will be counted. If you blurt out a correct response (i.e. don't PM), you will receive a 2 point deduction.
  • If nobody has guessed correctly after 30 seconds, there will be another 30 second period to respond where everybody may submit a second guess. If there are still no correct responses after this, we will move on to the next question.
  • In general, correct answers will receive 2 points. Wrong answers will get a ½ point deduction.
  • Closest-guess questions: for these, the question will also include a range of possible answers. Any answers within this range will receive full credit for a correct response. The person who guesses closest to the correct response will receive one bonus point, and an exact answer is worth another bonus point. There are no point deductions on closest guess questions.
  • Multiple-answer questions: for questions with more than one correct answer, the question will state how many correct responses there are, and you are free to make up to that many guesses in your response. However, any incorrect responses will still receive the standard ½-point deduction. After time is up, any correct responses will be announced, and there will be another 30-second period to guess any remaining answers. This will continue until either a) all correct responses have been given, or b) there have been two 30-second periods with no correct answers.
  • Bonus questions: occasionally, there will be a bonus question relating to the previous question. These work similarly to a standard question, except that on the first round of guessing, bonus questions are open only to those who guessed the original question correctly and there is no deduction for an incorrect guess. If there are no correct answers given in the first round, the second round will be open to everyone but with a standard ½-point deduction.
  • Unless directly contradicted by something above, the standard trivia rules will be in effect. One aspect I'd like to especially emphasize though, because apparently we have had issues with this in the past: using any resources beyond your own head (such as Google Maps) is considered cheating.
That is all. I'm hoping for a good turnout as we bid farewell to Chat.

EDIT: Because EST is popular!  :bigass: --sso

US 89

Scores from tonight are as follows:

Roadgeek Adam: 58
cl94: 43
NE2: 36.5
Duke87: 32.5
Alps: 28.5
Thing342: 16.5
Dougtone: 11.5
formulanone: 9
TheHighwayMan394: 7.5
Henry: 4
ozarkman417: 0.5
jakeroot: -1.5

Thanks to all who played. Questions will be posted when I have time to format them into a forum post.

formulanone

jakeroot

Well, this is fucking great. Now I have to redeem myself next go-around.

jakeroot

I mentioned in the chat that I thought WA might have had some colored shields back in the day. I was referring to this photo I found a few days ago, which shows some US shields with slightly different shades of...whatever color they were:

Quote from: jakeroot on February 15, 2020, 07:39:13 PM
I don't know why there's so many different shades of US Routes.

Photo taken in Tacoma, WA. Approximate location here (at the five-way intersection), looking Northwest (photo taken 1956 Nov 30):

usends

Quote from: jakeroot on February 20, 2020, 05:31:01 AM
...I thought WA might have had some colored shields back in the day...
Yes: from what I've been able to find, it was only in the larger cities.  See the bottom of this page for some examples.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

US 89

Questions from Wednesday night:

Alaska Closest guess: What is the elevation of the highest year-round mountain pass in Alaska? 4813 ft
Arizona What is the official state designation for the bypassed old alignment of US 93 east of the Hoover Dam? SR 93X
Arkansas Arkansas Highway 88 is better known by what name? Talimena Scenic Drive
California Closest guess: What is the lowest surface elevation reached by any national-level (Interstate or US) route in California? -52 ft
Colorado Which state highway follows the routing of the once-proposed US 789 in northern Colorado? SH 13
District of Columbia U.S. Routes were once signed through the District with colored shields. What color was used to denote a northbound route? Blue
Delaware The westbound Delaware Turnpike toll can easily be shunpiked by exiting onto what state route? DE 896
Florida What is the official slogan for State Road 91? The Less Stressway
Georgia The Jimmy Carter Presidential Library is located on the site of a once-proposed interchange between which two Interstate freeways? I-485 and I-675
Hawaii State routes serving the island of Molokai begin with which number? 4
Idaho US 95 crosses the Idaho/Adams county line how many times? 5
Illinois If the Mormons were to return to Nauvoo today, what state route would take them to the city center? IL 96
Indiana I-74 parallels which US Route west of Indianapolis? US 136
Iowa I-880 is a redesignation of I-680, which was itself a redesignation from what? I-80N
Kansas What is Kansas's mileage cap? 10,000 miles
Kentucky KY 1747 serves as a partial beltway in the southeastern Louisville metropolitan area. What is its name? Hurstbourne Parkway
Louisiana I-10 crosses the Atchafalaya River in this parish, which is noncontiguous due to a surveying error. St. Martin Parish
Maine What is the westernmost state route in Maine? ME 16
Maryland Closest guess: How many Maryland state route numbers terminate at the DC line? 21
Massachusetts US 20 is the longest US Route today. Its eastern terminus is in Boston at which cross street? Beacon Street/Kenmore Square
Minnesota What is the closest state route to Lake Itasca? MN 200
Mississippi In which city do US 11 and US 98 intersect? Hattiesburg
Missouri Which town is known among road enthusiasts for its intersection of three consecutive US Highway numbers? Sikeston
Montana There are six counties that do not have any Interstate or US Highways. MT 200 passes through four of them. Which primary state route passes through both of the others? MT 5
Nevada What is the state designation for Summerlin Parkway? SR 613
New Hampshire Which route is entirely concurrent with Business US 302? NH 16A
New Jersey What route designation was previously signed on the final (farthest downstream) free crossing of the Delaware River? US 1 Business
New Mexico This state road serves the Carlsbad Caverns National Park visitor center. NM 7
New York The 1980 Olympics were held at Lake Placid, which is located at the junction of which two numbered routes? NY 73 and NY 86
North Carolina Which island contains a state highway but is inaccessible by land? Ocracoke
North Dakota Name either of the two routes that intersect on causeways in the middle of Devils Lake. ND 20 and ND 57
Oklahoma What is the name of the road designated as Oklahoma State Highway 344? Gilcrease Turnpike
Oregon Addresses in Portland contain a directional prefix before every street name. How many directional prefixes are in use? 7 (NW, NE, SW, SE, N, W, E)
Pennsylvania Of the Pennsylvania Routes whose numbers do not match their internal State Route designations, which one does not share a number with an interstate route in PA? PA 97 (designated SR 0197)
South Carolina What is the only ADHS corridor to enter South Carolina? Corridor W (Bonus: This corridor follows which numbered highway. US 25)
South Dakota As the crow flies, which route comes closest to the highest point in the United States east of the Rockies? SD 87
Texas Closest guess: What is the lowest-numbered exit on I-2? 130
Utah As determined by the centerline of the road, prior to the shrinking of Grand Staircase and designation of Bears Ears, which UDOT-maintained routes entered a national park or monument? US 89; SR 9, 12, 24, 92, 95, 143
Vermont Which U.S. Route in Vermont does not have any associated bannered U.S. Routes in that state? US 302
Virginia What is the Virginia route designation for the George Washington Memorial Parkway? VA 90005
Washington Port Townsend and Fort Casey are connected by a ferry, which carries what numerical designation? WA 20
Wisconsin What is the only state-level or higher route to cross the western boundary of Wisconsin not at a river? MN 23
Wyoming What is the maximum number of concurrent mainline U.S. Highways in Wyoming, excluding implied routes in Yellowstone? BONUS: name them. 4 (US 26, 89, 189, 191)
United States What was the last US Highway to be commissioned entirely in one state? US 57
United States Name the remaining U.S. Routes that still split into E/W and N/S components that later rejoin. US 11, 19, 25, 31, 45, 49, 70
Canada Calgary's ring road goes by what name? Stoney Trail
Mexico What is the only Mexican “directo” Federal Route (i.e. suffixed with D) to terminate directly at the United States border? Federal Route 15D, Nogales
United Kingdom Which three motorways are located in Wales? M4, M48, A48(M)
France Le Mans is well known for car racing. If you drove from there to Paris along the fastest route, you’d likely spend most of your time on this motorway. A11
Australia This highway is the most direct route between the two largest metropolitan areas in Australia. Hume Highway/Highway 31

froggie

QuoteNew Hampshire Which route is entirely concurrent with Business US 302? NH 16A

I'm not convinced BUSINESS 302 even exists anymore.  Wikipedia's pages on it reference the state's route log (which is no longer accessible) and the state's GIS road data.  Recent versions of the latter make ZERO mention of BUSINESS 302 along 16A.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on February 21, 2020, 12:50:51 PM
Oklahoma What is the name of the road designated as Oklahoma State Highway 344? Gilcrease Turnpike

This road currently exists?

Quote from: usends on February 20, 2020, 08:16:27 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 20, 2020, 05:31:01 AM
...I thought WA might have had some colored shields back in the day...
Yes: from what I've been able to find, it was only in the larger cities, and the colors may have been different between different cities.  See the bottom of this page for some examples.

That's really cool. I was thinking that the shields might have had slightly different shades of grey or black or white, but the text photo you have in that link definitely seals the deal.

Unfortunately, Tacoma no longer has any US routes running through it, and hasn't for decades, so I'm sure those colored route shields are long gone.

Roadgeek Adam

Before I forget to do the scheduling, right now let me announce the following:

Roadgeek Adam's Roads Bar Trivia
Wednesday, April 15, 2020, 7:32 p.m.
AARoads chat, in whatever form it will be on April 15.

There will be posts upcoming on rules and formats as we get closer.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

US 89

Roadgeek Adam

So the full rules and format is definitely a bit of a different take from previous trivias. I have a friend in Corning, New York who is a DJ and does bar trivia and I like that style a bit more. (I have partaken in bar trivia). So the format is going to be fun.

There are many basic rules and one I'll have to explain a bit further down below.

a) There are 56 questions.
b) There will be 6 rounds and a final J! / wager round for question 56.
c) The scoring system will be like this:
   c1) Round 1 - 5 points (10 questions)
   c2) Round 2 - 10 points (10 questions)
   c3) Round 3 - 15 points (10 questions)
   c4) Round 4 - 20 points (10 questions)
   c5) Round 5 - 25 points (10 questions)
   c6) Round 6 - 30 points (5 questions)
   c7) Round 7 - Wager (1 question)
d) There are multiple answer and range questions.
e) 34 US states, 6 Canadian provinces, 1 US pseudo-territory, and 6 countries are represented in the questions.
f) This is not an open notes quizzer. You have your brains and your strong brains alone in answering the questions.
g) Each question except for 3 about to explain is going to be 30-32 seconds. There will be breaks of 2 minutes between R1-R2, R2-R3 and so on except for R6-7 where wagers will be PMed to me.
h) Now, this is the tough one. There will be 3 questions spread out around the game that test your concepts of logic. There is a British game show named Only Connect that airs on BBC2. I have attached a copy of an episode for you to get the idea.

Simply put, there will be questions:
h1) I will give you 1 of 4 clues every 15 seconds. You have to tell me what the common bond is between the 4 clues.
h2) I will give you 1 of 3 clues every 15 seconds. You will have to tell me the 4th. (No need to explain the connection, but I need the 4th)
h3) I will give you 4 different phrases every 15 seconds. You will notice they are all missing vowels. I have also rearranged the consonants around a bit so they may not match the words. You will have 60 seconds to give me all 4 full phrases.
If I gave you the connecting wall we'd be here all night.
i) There will be no penalties for wrong answers except for question no. 56.

This will be fun to host. I may never get to host again, so I'm going full-blast on this one.

Remember, April 15, 2020 (a Wednesday) at 7:32 pm.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 30, 2020, 12:13:11 AM
Simply put, there will be questions:
h1) I will give you 1 of 4 clues every 15 seconds. You have to tell me what the common bond is between the 4 clues.
h2) I will give you 1 of 3 clues every 15 seconds. You will have to tell me the 4th. (No need to explain the connection, but I need the 4th)
h3) I will give you 4 different phrases every 15 seconds. You will notice they are all missing vowels. I have also rearranged the consonants around a bit so they may not match the words. You will have 60 seconds to give me all 4 full phrases.
If I gave you the connecting wall we'd be here all night.

This will be fun to host. I may never get to host again, so I'm going full-blast on this one.

Remember, April 15, 2020 (a Wednesday) at 7:32 pm.
h1) You get one guess every 15 seconds. If you change your guess after the next clue, you get only that number of points.
h2) Same
h3) The consonants will be in order, but the spaces will vary.

Roadgeek Adam

After talking with Steve and others. I will probably host a dummy round on April 8 at 8 pm of the 3 question styles in the video above. Seems fair to be prepared.
Adam Seth Moss

cl94

Heh, Only Connect is one of the shows I watch semi-regularly when across the pond. I like the sound of this trivia night. "Find the link" or "complete the series", so just getting lucky won't help you as much.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: US 89 on March 24, 2020, 06:20:15 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 24, 2020, 06:03:29 PM

That's 5:32 pm real time.  :sombrero:

No, it is 1:32 a.m. on Thursday, 2020, April 16 real time :bigass:. So once again, I'm out.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 31, 2020, 08:50:18 AM
Quote from: US 89 on March 24, 2020, 06:20:15 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 24, 2020, 06:03:29 PM

That's 5:32 pm real time.  :sombrero:

No, it is 1:32 a.m. on Thursday, 2020, April 16 real time :bigass:. So once again, I'm out.

As much as I'd love to make the UK at home, even with everyone in quarantine, people are still working at like 5 or 6 in the evening. Trust me, I'd make it work if I could, especially with a British game show forming three questions.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Fresh reminder that trivia is tomorrow at 7:32 pm EDT.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Final reminder, trivia starts in 45 minutes.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

So trivia is over for me. Here is the questions and scores, which was won by cl94

QUESTIONS:
--------------
ROUND 1 (5 PTS)
--------------

QUESTION 1 - TEXAS
Hurricane Jerry in 1989 wiped out a section of this state highway between TX 142 and Clam Lake Road northeast of Galveston. Despite numerous proposals (and more hurricane strikes), this section has never been rebuilt and reclaimed by nature.

ANSWER: TX 87

QUESTION 2 - RHODE ISLAND
Two abandoned temporary ramps built in 1992 exist on Route 138 in North Kingstown for use during construction of this bridge.

ANSWER: JAMESTOWN VERRAZZANO BRIDGE

QUESTION 3 - WESTERN ENGLAND
The southern terminus of the A590 is at the shoreline of the Irish Sea in Barrow-in-Furness, which would be at the approximate junction of a fictional rail bridge to Vicartsown on this island in Rev. Wilbert Awdry's The Railway Series, later integrated into Thomas & Friends and Shining Time Station.

ANSWER: THE ISLE OF SODOR

QUESTION 4 - KENTUCKY
Due to the growing epidemic of opioids, oxycodone providers in Florida and the low median income of the area, the stretch of this interstate in eastern Kentucky has been given the nickname "The Pill Pipeline".

ANSWER: INTERSTATE 75

QUESTION 5 - NEVADA (MULT. ANSWER)
70 miles northwest of the famous Area 51, The Tonopah Test Range, colloquially known as Area 52, is located southeast of the city of Tonopah, which marks the junction of these two US routes.

ANSWER: US 95 and US 6

QUESTION 6 - ROADS & MUSIC
C.W. McCall's song "Convoy" was a big song in 1976 during the Trucker craze in the 70s. Performed by William Fries, a marketer who created the McCall character for Old Home Bread, notes in the song this interstate from Texas to Missouri "like a rocket sled on rails".

ANSWER: INTERSTATE 44

QUESTION 7 - COLORADO
State Highway 121's southern terminus in Littleton is also located at the entranceway for this large United States Department of Defense contractor company.

ANSWER: LOCKHEED MARTIN

QUESTION 8 - ARIZONA
The southern terminus of State Highway 67 is at this major access point on the Grand Canyon.

ANSWER: NORTH RIM

QUESTION 9 - OKLAHOMA
In 1962, the city of Henryetta, located at the junction of Interstate 40 and U.S. Route 62 had a small outbreak of this fatal disease made famous on the Oregon Trail.

ANSWER: (YOU HAVE DIED OF) DYSENTERY

QUESTION 10 - ALABAMA
On Sunday, March 7, 1965, (Sen.) John Lewis of SNCC, Hosea Williams of SCLC among others left the Brown A.M.E. church on a 54 mile march to Montgomery but was attacked by the Alabama National Guard and Dallas County Sherriffs workers after crossing this bridge out of Selma on U.S. Route 80.

ANSWER: EDMUND PETTUS BRIDGE

---------------
ROUND 2 (10 PTS)
---------------
QUESTION 11 - AUSTRIA
The B225 road, also known as the Wienerbergstraße, passes through multiple business parks in Vienna along with the Vienna Central Cemetery, where this "Rock Me Amadeus" singer was buried after his death in 1998.

ANSWER: FALCO

QUESTION 12 - WEST VIRGINIA
The famous Mothman story of Point Pleasant originates from a TNT site once known as the Point Pleasant Depot, off this state route in the area.

ANSWER: WV 62

QUESTION 13 - WASHINGTON
The former alignment of WA 16 crosses the city of Burley north of WA 302. This community was established in 1898 as a utopian commune based on this form of leftist belief.

ANSWER: SOCIALISM

QUESTION 14 - IOWA
Known as a midwestern knockoff of Lombard Street in San Francisco, this street and tourist attraction in Burlington, Iowa has curves totalling 1100 degrees (compared to Lombard's 1000 degrees).

ANSWER: SNAKE ALLEY

QUESTION 15 - MARYLAND
MD 417 in Grantsville, Maryland was renumbered to this in 1963 to match it's Pennsylvania counterpart at the state line.

ANSWER: MD 669

QUESTION 16 - NORTH AMERICA (ONLY CONNECT: COMMON BONDS)
In this sequence, you will be presented with 4 clues that all share a common bond. I will read each one of them in order from hardest to easiest. You have to PM me what the common bond is.

BC 97 (10 points)
I-90 (7 points)
WA 520 (5 points)
VT 65 (2 points)

ANSWER: ALL HAVE FLOATING BRIDGES

QUESTION 17 - PENNSYLVANIA
Until the 1940s, the eastern shore highway of Harveys Lake, Pennsylvania was designated as SR 0515. By the late 1940s, PA 515 was replaced by a second branch of this route that served as both of its termini.

ANSWER: PA 415

QUESTION 18 - ILLINOIS (MULT. ANSWER)
U.S. Route 54 ends currently at Interstate 72, U.S. Route 36 and Illinois Route 107 in Newburg Township. However, until 1972, U.S. Route 54 ended in Chicago at the junction of these two streets.

ANSWER: MICHIGAN AVE & LAKE SHORE DRIVE

QUESTION 19 - ROUTES IN VIDEO GAMES
Despite the fact that route numbers cannot be copyrighted, US 66 in the fictional city of Los Santos, California, is renumbered to this US route, used in Ohio and Kentucky.

ANSWER: US 68

QUESTION 20 - EMPIRE STATE OF MIND (RANGE: +- 5)
This is the number of untolled exits on the entirety of the New York State Thruway main line.

ANSWER: 28 (1-15A, 50-55, 61)
---------------
ROUND 3 (15 PTS)
---------------

QUESTION 21 - ROADS ON OLD RAILS
This expressway in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metropolitan area was built on a former right-of-way to the interuban Lackawanna and Wyoming Valley Railroad (more commonly known as the Laurel Line). (I will take the name or the internal state route designation).

ANSWER: CENTRAL SCRANTON EXPRESSWAY (OR) SR 3007

QUESTION 22 - GREENLAND (EXACT ANSWER)
To be built in 2020, the first inner city road in Greenland (running between Sismiut and Kangerlussaq) will be this many lanes wide.

ANSWER: 1

QUESTION 23 - FEAR & PANIC (MULT. CHOICE)
Multiple transportation authorities in the United States offer rides for people who suffer from gephyrophobia (known in Greek as gephuraphobos), which is a fear of this structure.

A) ROADS
B) TUNNELS
C) BRIDGES

ANSWER: BRIDGES

QUESTION 24 - MISSISSIPPI
The buried bodies of James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Mickey Schwener were found at an earthen dam in 1964 north of this route that runs southwest out of Philadelphia in Neshoba County.

ANSWER: MS 21

QUESTION 25 - UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
Blue vertical street blades mark the intersections on Sand Island of this atoll, which was an important trans-Atlantic fueling stop and the site of a World War II battle from June 4-7, 1942.

ANSWER: MIDWAY ATOLL (also accept ISLAND)

QUESTION 26 - GEORGIA
Pascual Perez of the Atlanta Braves unfortunately gained the nickname "Wrong-Way Perez" when he missed his start after getting lost this interstate trying to get to Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium on August 19, 1982.

ANSWER: I-285

QUESTION 27 - NEW HAMPSHIRE
A stanza of "The Bridge Builder" by Will Allen Dromgoole is engraved on the decrepit Vilas Bridge between Bellows Falls, Vermont and this route in North Walpole, New Hampshire.

ANSWER: NH 12

QUESTION 28 - MICHIGAN
The North Huron Byway was created in 2015 as of one the Pure Michigan Byways, entirely run on this route that exists on two landmasses.

ANSWER: M-134

QUESTION 29 - MONTANA
Though open since 1914, the United States and Canada made the Scobey-Coronach Port of Entry at the end of this route the first to be fully automated in 1996.

ANSWER: MT 13

QUESTION 30 - CONNECTICUT (MULT. ANSWER)
Exits 18, 62 and 72 on Interstate 95 in Connecticut all serve as connector roads for state parks in Connecticut along the Long Island Sound. Name the three parks these exits serve.

ANSWER: HAMMONASSET, ROCKY NECK & SHERWOOD ISLAND

---------------
ROUND 4 (20 PTS)
---------------

QUESTION 31 - TUVALU (RANGE: +- 2KM)
Despite a population of over 11,000, Tuvalu contains this amount of public road mileage, the least for a country (or disputed territory) in the world with at least .01 km of roads. (Vatican City for example, has zero.)

ANSWER: 8 KM

QUESTION 32 - SASKATCHEWAN
Brown Street in La Ronge marks the northern terminus of Provincial Highway 2, where it suddenly transitions to this designation for another 137 miles (202 km) to the southern hores of Reindeer Lake.

ANSWER: SK 102

QUESTION 33 - WYOMING (MULT. ANSWER)
Utah State Route 43 serves a 10.557 mile long connection between these two Wyoming state highways that both end at the border.

ANSWER: WY 414 & WY 530

QUESTION 34 - OHIO
For some reason the intersection of West Main Street and Fifth Street in Williamsburg represents the southern terminus of this road, which ends in the middle of a concurrency with OH 133 through Williamsburg.

ANSWER: OH 276

QUESTION 35 - LOUISIANA
This state highway cuts through the Poverty Point UNESCO World Heritage Site, which features earthen ridges and mounds built between 1700 and 1100 BC in northeastern Louisiana.

ANSWER: LA 577

QUESTION 36 - VERMONT (ONLY CONNECT: 4TH IN SEQUENCE)
In this sequence, you have to figure out what the fourth in a sequence would be. There is only one correct answer.
VT 26 (0.013) (20 points)
VT 119 (0.080) (12 points)
VT 25A (0.088) (7 points)
VT XXX (5 points)

ANSWER: VT 147 (0.145) / Shortest state routes in Vermont by length from smallest to largest.
(Mileage is not required, just the route)

QUESTION 37 - MONOPOLY
Of the original 20 properties on the 1935 Monopoly board named after streets in Atlantic City, the only does not exist physically is this one, demolished when Showboat Atlantic City Casino was built on it in 1987.

ANSWER: ST. CHARLES PLACE

QUESTION 38 - NORTH CAROLINA (MULT. ANSWER)
Located in the shadows of Amburn Mountain, the westernmost road crossing of the Tennessee/North Carolina border is located on this concurrency near Wolf Creek.

ANSWER: US 64 & 74

QUESTION 39 - UNITED STATES (ONLY CONNECT: MISSING VOWELS)
In this sequence, we have removed all the vowels from certain road-related structures. You have to guess each of them as I reveal them. There are 4 in all, worth 5 points each for a total of 20. The letters remaining are split up but spaces are moved to make it harder to interpret. 
GRGWS HNGTNB RDG (George Washington Bridge)
LLGHN YMNTNT NNL (Allegheny Mountain Tunnel)
HN GNG LKTN NL (Hanging Lake Tunnel)
SVN NSBLBR DG (Savanna-Sabula Bridge)

QUESTION 40 - CROSSING THE DELAWARE
Of the road bridges that crossed the Delaware River from Trenton, New Jersey to Hancock, New York, this is the only bridge that has historically never been tolled.

ANSWER: POND EDDY BRIDGE [Error found after, accepted INTERSTATE 84 BRIDGE]

---------------
ROUND 5 (25 PTS)
---------------

QUESTION 41 - VIRGINIA
Assigned in July 1935, State Route 48 is the unsigned designation of the Blue Ridge Parkway ad this other National Park Road from Rockfish Gap to Front Royal.

ANSWER: SKYLINE DRIVE

QUESTION 42 - CALIFORNIA
On May 17, 1995, 35-year old Shawn Nelson stole an M60A3 Patton tank from the California Army National Guard and went on a 23-minute chase through San Diego until getting stuck on the median of this freeway, where he was shot and killed by Officer Rick Piner.

ANSWER: CA 163

QUESTION 43 - QUEBEC
Due to the lack of ferries at the termini of Havre-Aubert and Ile de la Grande Entree, it is impossible to clinch this route from south to north and vice versa, but from the center.

ANSWER: QC 199

QUESTION 44 - EASTERN ENGLAND & SCOTLAND
The A1 follows the route of this 19th century highway from London to Edinburgh known for being a primary stage coach road. Multiple literary legends from Charles Dickens to J.B. Priestley have used this specific road in their works.

ANSWER: GREAT NORTH ROAD

QUESTION 45 - PANAMA
This is the amount of federal routes cross bridges over the Panama Canal from north to south and vice versa. (RANGE: +- 1)

ANSWER: 3

QUESTION 46 - NEW JERSEY
Save for Lyons, Basking Ridge and Bernardsville, this 500-level county route comes within 1 block to 1 mile of all other New Jersey Transit Gladstone Branch stations.

ANSWER: CR 512

QUESTION 47 - NORTHWEST TERRITORIES
Formerly known as Privy Road due to the many outhouses in the area, this dirt street in Yellowknife has attained this current name because of the poverty in the area. The city officialized this name in the late 2010s after years of slang status.

ANSWER: RAGGED ASS ROAD

QUESTION 48 - INDIANA
On November 13 of this year, the Cline Avenue Bridge (IN 912) was closed over the Indiana Harbor and Ship Canal (between exits 1 & 5A) due to questionable safety. The bridge would end up being demolished in 2013.

ANSWER: 2009

QUESTION 49 - MANITOBA
This route that forks off from PR 280 east of Gillam and ends at the site of a former HydroElectric dam construction community is one of those proposed to be extended to be the first all-weather route to Nunavut.

ANSWER: PR 290

QUESTION 50 - ONTARIO
The southern terminus of this tertiary route (meaning 8XX) is a chain-link fence blocking access to the abandoned mining community of Burchell Lake, Ontario, closed in 1967 when mining profits went south.

ANSWER: ON 802

---------------
ROUND 6 (30 PTS)
---------------

QUESTION 51 - URUGUAY (RANGE QUESTION +- 30ft)
Located 90 miles east of Montevideo, the Puente Laguna Garzon (Laguna Garzon Bridge), features a special circular design near the eastern end with a section of water splitting the two sides of this diameter.

ANSWER: 309ft

QUESTION 52 - NOVA SCOTIA
Nova Scotia Route 125 serves a partial beltway around this city on the easternmost edge of the province, marking the eastern most one-designation beltway of a city in North America.

ANSWER: SYDNEY

QUESTION 53 - #EASTNEVADA (UTAH)
A seven-year old playing with matches on April 6, 2008 when he inadventerently set a brush fire that resulted in the burning of this bridge on UT 128, a 1916 bridge across the Colorado River that served cars until 1988.

ANSWER: DEWEY BRIDGE

QUESTION 54 - MISSOURI
Construction of the new 22,500-seat soccer stadium for a MLS expansion resulted in MoDOT closing this exit and all its ramps near the old Union Station.

ANSWER: 39

QUESTION 55 - NEW MEXICO
In 2005 and 2009, Larry Barker of KRQE (Channel 13 in Albuquerque) noted the Bureau of Indian Affairs continuously failed to pavement N-55, a federal road going from Albuqerque to this remote village on the Navajo Indian Reservation.

ANSWER: ALAMO

---------------
ROUND 7 (WAGER)
---------------

QUESTION 56 - SOUTH AFRICA
The Bloukrans Bridge along Highway N2 in the Western Cape section of South Africa stands 272 meters (892 feet) above the Bloukans River, marking the highest commercial version of this activity.

ANSWER: BUNGEE JUMPING

SCORES

cl94 - 805
Bruce - 804
Brandon - 665
corco - 420
Duke87 - 358
NE2 - 266
US 89 - 240
TheHighwayMan394 - 101
Alps - 69
paulthemapguy - 31

Those who DNF:

dougtone - 240
Laura - 25
DanTheRoadsMan - 65
ozarkman417 - 45
rawmustard - 45

cl94 & Bruce are co-hosting the next trivia on a date to be determined.
Adam Seth Moss

US 89

cl94

I liked this trivia and I think the amount of thought that went into the questions raises the bar for the rest of us. All questions were at least tangentially related to roads, but often included some good pop culture and historical references.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

QuoteQUESTION 36 - VERMONT (ONLY CONNECT: 4TH IN SEQUENCE)
In this sequence, you have to figure out what the fourth in a sequence would be. There is only one correct answer.
VT 26 (0.013) (20 points)
VT 119 (0.080) (12 points)
VT 25A (0.088) (7 points)
VT XXX (5 points)

ANSWER: VT 147 (0.145) / Shortest state routes in Vermont by length from smallest to largest.
(Mileage is not required, just the route)

Mileage source?

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.