TRIVIA NIGHT results and host registration

Started by Alps, December 07, 2012, 09:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Laura Bianca on September 08, 2013, 10:22:22 AM
Yay, I host next!

Considering that the August trivia happened in September, would it be too soon for me to host trivia at the end of the month? I'm looking at Wednesday, September 25th at 9 pm EST.
We had four newcomers last night, so I think we have different crowds weeknights vs. weekends. I have no problem with the proposal.

Thing 342

I'm up for Wednesday, provided nothing arises before then.

vtk

Yay, I host next!

Considering that the August trivia happened in September, would it be too soon for me to host trivia at the end of the month? I'm looking at Wednesday, September 25th at 9 pm EST.

I think it's most likely you mean EDT. 9pm EST is an hour after 9pm EDT.  If you just mean whatever Eastern Time happens to be in effect, just say ET and you won't risk making an error.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Laura

Quote from: vtk on September 08, 2013, 01:41:48 PM
Yay, I host next!

I think it's most likely you mean EDT. 9pm EST is an hour after 9pm EDT.  If you just mean whatever Eastern Time happens to be in effect, just say ET and you won't risk making an error.

Yes, thank you! I meant EDT.

kj3400

Yay, day after my birthday!
I don't see why I can't not be there at the moment.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Alps

Hope you're still looking at September 25th, because it's coming up tomorrow!

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

Who has dibs on October? Hosting is too stressful for me so I don't really want to unless I'm on break a couple of weeks.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on September 28, 2013, 01:46:42 PM
I could do it if no one else wants to.
Considering your recent wins, you've earned it.

Laura

For fun, here are my questions from the last trivia night. You all did very well! I really enjoyed hosting and would be happy to do it again in December. (It takes a long time to write good questions, and I'd rather not have it compete w/grad school work.)

1. MARYLAND
The MD 9 designation was almost used for part of this decommissioned US highway
[US 140]

2. OHIO, INDIANA
For all intents and purposes (decommissionings and old alignments aside) name the road that today makes up the Lincoln highway in these states.
[US 30]

3. CALIFORNIA
Before it was truncated to Bishop, US 6 ended at a traffic circle in this city
[Long Beach]

4. WEST VIRGINIA
This fractional route 'numerator' is often used for frontages and overpasses along I-68
[73/x, main parallel road is 73/73]

5. ROADS IN POP CULTURE - WASHINGTON
The band Death Cab for Cutie wrote a song named after the interstate that bypasses Seattle to its east.
[405]

6. ILLINOIS
Though originally planned to go to St. Louis, funding issues stopped the National Road at this town.
[Vandalia]

7. GEORGIA
This town on US 301 was once known for its notorious speed trap.
[Ludowici]

8. MINNESOTA
The state route shields in MN once featured this shape
[star]

9. IDAHO
This town prides itself as having had the last stoplight on Interstate 90. It also registered its downtown on the National Register of Historic Places so that the federal government was forced to move the planned interstate north of town.
[Wallace]

10. CONNECTICUT
This limited access road is known for its unique, sawtooth BGSs
[Merritt Parkway]

11. UTAH
While under construction, part of I-70 carried this temporary state route designation
[UT 4]

12. NEBRASKA
The last remaining segment of unpaved U.S. Route (between the villages of Rose and Taylor) was paved in 1967. Name the route.
[US 183]

13. MARYLAND (Hard)
MD 309 sports the only example of this streetname suffix (Street, Road, Avenue, Boulevard, etc...) in the state highway system
[Alley (Black Dog Alley)]

14. OREGON
This highway was the first paved border-to-border highway west of the Mississippi river. (I am looking for the original name.)
[Pacific Highway]

15. ROADS IN POP CULTURE (name the state)
In John Steinbeck's novel "The Grapes of Wrath" , the Joad family migrates on Route 66 to California from what state?
[Oklahoma]

16. IOWA
US 6 was originally this state route
[IA 7]

17. FLORIDA
This town on US 301 is also known for its notorious speed trap.
[Waldo]

18. NEVADA
This is the longest US Route in the state.
[US 95]

19. NEBRASKA
What do the numbers used in the Loop/Spur system indicate?
[county in alphabetical order]

20. DELAWARE
Part of DE 1 was originally this number
[DE 14]

21. VERMONT
This border crossing is the only interstate crossing without Nexus.
[I-91 at Derby Line/Stanstead]

22. HAWAII
Numbers beginning with 3 are signed to what island?
[Maui]

23. KENTUCKY AND TENNESSEE
This US highway splits into west and east from Newport, TN to North Corbin, KY.
[US 25]

24. MONTANA
Business interstate 15/90 overlaps what 3DI spur for its entire length?
[I-115]

25. ROADS IN POP CULTURE — NEW JERSEY
In this classic rock song by Bruce Springsteen, what US highway does he leave behind in New Jersey?
"Sprung from cages on highway ____"
[US 9]

26. PENNSYLVANIA
This extension of this US route in Allentown  was denied by AASHTO, so PA gave it the same number as the US route. Give me the number.
[222]

27. NEW MEXICO
What was the nickname for US 491 when it held its former US route designation?
[Devil's Highway]

28. WASHINGTON DC
In the original Yellow Book of proposed Interstates, DC proposed to FHWA this out-of-place 2di as a sort of northern inner loop
[I-63]

29. WYOMING
Business loop interstate 25, US Route 85, and US Route 87 business are concurrent with what interstate? (Fun fact: this is the only concurrency of an Interstate, a Business Loop Interstate, a U.S. route and a Business U.S. Route.
[180]

30. RHODE ISLAND
Which city uses Belwe Bold Condensed on their street name signage?
[Pawtucket]

31. FLORIDA
x00 is typically a designation on what direction of routes?
[diagonal]

32. MASSACHUSETTS
What is the longest state highway in MA?
[28]

33. TEXAS
Texas' US shields had what distinctive feature?
[arrows within the shield]

34. SOUTH CAROLINA
US 501 ends in this Atlantic Oceanfront town
[Myrtle Beach]

35. INTERNATIONAL
What color are the shields in the "state highway"  system in New Zealand?
red

36. MAINE
The second part of this US route ends in the town of Houlton.
[US 2]

37. VERMONT AND NEW HAMPSHIRE
White River Junction, VT and Lebanon, NH are the two largest towns near the interchange of these two interstates. (Must have both to get question right)
[I-89 and I-91]

38. Us ROUTES
What route number is the nearly (Can-Mex) border-to-border 3 digit US route?
[281 and 191]

39. MUTCD COMPLIANT
How are metric speed limits officially supposed to be signed?
[number in a circle]
Note: This question was thrown out due to various discrepancies

40. FOR FUN - Rome SPQR
What is the roadly origin and root of the word 'trivia'?
[Fork or intersection of three roads. In ancient Rome, notices were posted at the forks or intersections of three roads, in latin, "tri-via".]

QUESTIONS WITH MULTIPLE ANSWERS!

41. (NAME THE STATE)
Name the first state to have lettered routes and the longest SR in that state
[Wisconsin; 35]

42. COLORADO
This city, recently devastated by flooding, is one of the largest cities in the country not serviced by an interstate highway. What US Route services this city from Denver?
[Boulder; US 36]

43. PENNSYLVANIA
Former US 111 was originally this state number. South of York, what is its current quadrant number? 
[PA 4; SR 3001]

44. ARIZONA
This interstate does not start at exit 0, what is the first exit? 
[I-17; Exit 194]
Threw out: question should have been written differently.

45. ROADS IN POP CULTURE: CALIFORNIA
In 1955, James Dean died in a car crash on what extinct US route; what is this route today?
[US 466; CA 46]

46. NAME THE STATE
Name the two states to use single letters in colloquial usage. 
[Kansas K-x, Michigan M-x. Also Nebraska and Colorado.]

47. NAME THE INTERSTATES
Name the 2 longest 'childless' 2dis.
[I-49, I-57, difference ~2 miles]

48. VIRGINIA
Name the US routes that pass through the independent city that was most recently downgraded to a town
[221 & 460, Bedford]

49. NAME THE STATES
Name the first state to build a section of (non-turnpike) Interstate; the first state to complete its Interstate mileage 
[KS, NE]

50. MASS TRANSIT
There are two cities in North America that "still operate streetcar networks that are essentially unchanged in their layout and mode of operation" . (The others have been rebuilt as light rail systems, restored for tourist use, or built on a modern system). One is in the US, the other in Canada. Name them.
[Toronto and New Orleans]

51. MARYLAND/PENNSYLVANIA
The original MD 37 became part of this US highway.  What was this US highway's former state number in Pennsylvania? 
[US 219; PA 6]

52. ROADS IN POP CULTURE - ARIZONA
In the Eagles' song "Take it Easy" , the singer is "standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona" . The Standin' on the Corner park, which opened in 1999 in Winslow and was named after the song, is located on the corner of N. Kinsley Ave and W. 2nd Street. What two routes are currently along W. 2nd Street?
[I 40 BUS and State 99]

53. Interstate/US Highways
Which Interstate and US route pair crosses each other the most?
[While it would seem that such a pairing should be east-west, so far the two candidates seem to be I-91/US-5 and I-81/US-11, both with 36 each (counting I-81/US-11E and I-81/US-11W as one crossing each)]

54. NAME THE INTERSTATES
Name the only completely used 3di state sets. At least two others use 8 of the 9. 
[9 I-x90 NY; 8 I-x05 CA; I-x95 MD]

55. NEW YORK
Name all 5 of the (current) suffixed routes of NY 17.
[A, B, C, K, M]

56. NAME THE CITIES AND STATES
Name the four US captials that are not serviced by an interstate:
Dover, DE; Pierre, SD; Juneau, AK; Jefferson City, MO]

froggie

Quote37. VERMONT AND NEW HAMPSHIRE
White River Junction, VT and Lebanon, NH are the two largest towns near the interchange of these two interstates. (Must have both to get question right)
[I-89 and I-91]

Officially, this is not correct, as White River Junction is neither a town nor incorporated as a municipality.  A lot of maps and mapmakers think it's a town, but in reality, WRJ is part of the Town of Hartford, VT.

Molandfreak

Now that chat's back, is anyone up to hosting a late November or December trivia? Is SPUI's offer to host still on the table?

NE2

Oh. Yeah, I could host if nobody else wants. We should make sure the new chat is precise enough.

Laura

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on November 08, 2013, 07:59:55 AM
Oh. Yeah, I could host if nobody else wants. We should make sure the new chat is precise enough.
There are some strange laggy moments, but it doesn't seem to have trouble with large numbers of users, it just lags randomly. Haven't figured that out, needs testing.

Molandfreak

With the new chat, hosting will be much more difficult, given that there isn't any reasonable personalization like changing the text color.

In fact, how you change the text color in chat is exactly the same as how you change it in the forum.

corco

There is actually! Go to settings, check the box that says "persist font color" and then select your font color. It even makes the tags go away

The font color for your name stays the same though, so that's lame

Laura

I'm hosting the next trivia on Wednesday, January 1st, 2014 @ 9 pm EST.
Be there or be square.

Alps

Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 19, 2013, 10:36:03 PM
I'm hosting the next trivia on Wednesday, January 1st, 2014 @ 9 pm EST.
Be there or be square.
Okay.

NE2

That should replace the egoboost in the rotating message.

Dr Frankenstein

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

corco

So, triv-dog's still on for tonight, right?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.