News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Different license plates for EV or RHV

Started by webfil, December 16, 2012, 01:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webfil

I just came across some info on my province's license plates. There is a special plate for electric or rechargeable hybrid vehicles. SAAQ says it is for charging station parking management purposes. I've never seen/noticed those, even on Chevrolet Volt, Nissan Leaf and Tecnobus Gulliver (electric minibus), which are the three most common models around here.

What about your state/province?

Shown on the image, from left to right : [EV/RHV passenger vehicle for personal use], [EV/RHV bus], [EV/RHV commercial, utility or emergency vehicle]

Québec City's Réseau de Transport de la Capitale have regular bus plates for their Tecnobus Gullivers running in Old town.

CentralCAroadgeek

Arizona also has similar plates for cars using alternative energy. The plate itself is a light blue plate with clouds on it.

realjd

There are a few stores around here that provide chargers for electric vehicles and mark the spaces for EVs only. I can understand why some sort of identifying marker would be useful as this becomes more common.

DaBigE

The only similar plate Wisconsin has is for "Low Speed" vehicles.

Quote from: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/title/nev.htm
Low-speed vehicle (LSV)
Issued for low-speed vehicles (LSV) that meet National Highway traffic Safety Administration standards and have a certification label stating that the vehicle meets those standards. May be self-propelled by gas or electric engine. A golf cart is not considered an LSV.

I imagine a EV or Hybrid plate is in the works in some legislator's office. Might be a way to recoup some of the lost gas tax revenue.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

cpzilliacus

Quote from: webfil on December 16, 2012, 01:21:41 PM
I just came across some info on my province's license plates. There is a special plate for electric or rechargeable hybrid vehicles. SAAQ says it is for charging station parking management purposes. I've never seen/noticed those, even on Chevrolet Volt, Nissan Leaf and Tecnobus Gulliver (electric minibus), which are the three most common models around here.

What about your state/province?

Virginia has issued at least three types of "Clean Fuel" (CF) tags.  But the series have changed many times, since their primary use to qualify to use HOV (car-pool) lanes without having to meet the HOV requirement (HOV-2, HOV-3 in one corridor (I-95/I-395)).

As sales of these cars has increased, Virginia DMV has changed the CF series several times - first to disqualify new CF vehicles from the I-95/I-395 HOV lanes, then to disqualify them from the I-66 HOV lanes.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Dr Frankenstein

Ontario has similar green plates, and they are allowed on HOV lanes regardless of occupancy.

I've seen the Québec green plates. You have have seen them without noticing, since I find the shade of green they use is easy to mistake for the dark blue used on standard issue plates.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on December 16, 2012, 09:38:45 PM
Ontario has similar green plates, and they are allowed on HOV lanes regardless of occupancy.

Don't think I have seen those.  Have not been in Ontario for quite a few years, and there's not that much  Ontario traffic on highways near and through Maryland and Virginia.

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on December 16, 2012, 09:38:45 PM
I've seen the Québec green plates. You have have seen them without noticing, since I find the shade of green they use is easy to mistake for the dark blue used on standard issue plates.

That is quite possible, especially if they have the slogan "I remember" (Je me souviens) in the lower margin.

Québec-registered vehicles are probably the Canadian tags we see most-often on freeways (especially I-95) around these parts.  I usually see several every week, and I will look for the green ones from now on.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Dr Frankenstein

I've seen one green Ontario plate (or set thereof, since they have front plates)... on the one Tesla Roadster I've seen. It was on the QEW in the Niagara region.

Brandon

I haven't seen one yet for Illinois.  We do have an environmental plate, but it's one of the specialty plates you can buy for any car.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SidS1045

Massachusetts started issuing them last spring, for all-electric or hybrid cars.  Same biennial fee as regular plates, only charge is a one-time fee of $20 to change plates.  There's also an "EC" series for all-electric or hybrid commercial vehicles.  The only hassles are that you must appear at a Registry of Motor Vehicles full-service branch to get them (and turn in your existing plates if you're changing them on a currently registered vehicle), and the $20 must be paid in cash...no checks or credit cards.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Molandfreak

Quote from: DaBigE on December 16, 2012, 06:19:34 PM

Low-speed vehicle (LSV)
Issued for low-speed vehicles (LSV) that meet National Highway traffic Safety Administration standards and have a certification label stating that the vehicle meets those standards. May be self-propelled by gas or electric engine. A golf cart is not considered an LSV.

I imagine a EV or Hybrid plate is in the works in some legislator's office. Might be a way to recoup some of the lost gas tax revenue.

Weren't those Wisconsin ones meant for the giant farm trucks, back in the day when they couldn't make it above 45?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

DaBigE

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 20, 2012, 12:32:34 AM

Low-speed vehicle (LSV)

Weren't those Wisconsin ones meant for the giant farm trucks, back in the day when they couldn't make it above 45?

If they were, it wasn't this design, as this one was first issued in 2007. I would think that farm vehicles would use one of the plates from the 'Farm' category (trailer, truck, light truck, etc.). If you're referring to something like a combine, I don't think those need anything more than the "slow moving vehicle" triangle.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Molandfreak

Quote from: DaBigE on December 20, 2012, 05:48:44 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on December 20, 2012, 12:32:34 AM

Low-speed vehicle (LSV)

If they were, it wasn't this design, as this one was first issued in 2007. I would think that farm vehicles would use one of the plates from the 'Farm' category (trailer, truck, light truck, etc.). If you're referring to something like a combine, I don't think those need anything more than the "slow moving vehicle" triangle.

Oh, no I was referring to half-ton and larger pickups in the '40s and '50s. You're right, not sure what this would be used for other than electric vehicles.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.