Regional Boards > Mid-South

Texas

<< < (36/42) > >>

Quillz:
I like Clearview. Fine with it being used.

Quillz:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 02, 2023, 02:00:42 PM ---TX DOT has their own way of doing things. I can't complain too much since, overall, their BGS designs are much better than most states. Here in Oklahoma it's just embarrassing. At least Oklahoma's highway signs don't like patched over and hammered junk like Caltrans' stuff. I really don't care about the Clearview vs Series Gothic issue; Clearview is usually handled pretty well on Texas BGS panels.

Yeah, the route numbering scheme in Texas doesn't appear to follow any kind of system. I imagine that's because the state is so big and has evolved economically in dramatic ways. It would be difficult crafting a route numbering system that could adapt to those shifts over the decades.

--- End quote ---
The BGS are fine, they don't bother me. The one point of confusion, though, is since number duplication is allowed, and all the state-level highways use the exact same design, there could potentially be something like "TEXAS 10" alongside "FM 10." Although I suspect the numbers are chosen in such a way there aren't any real conflicts like that.

Otherwise, I'm noticing the so called "sign salad." I like how everything does appear to be signed, but I also will see things like a farm-to-market road signed alongside with the interstates and state routes. I'm more used to the idea of just the most important route being signed, although with GPS, the navigation around here has been fine.

J N Winkler:

--- Quote from: Quillz on December 02, 2023, 02:46:16 PM ---The BGS are fine, they don't bother me. The one point of confusion, though, is since number duplication is allowed, and all the state-level highways use the exact same design, there could potentially be something like "TEXAS 10" alongside "FM 10." Although I suspect the numbers are chosen in such a way there aren't any real conflicts like that.
--- End quote ---

Actually, there is one notorious example where such confusion can occur--FM 121 near Van Alstyne, which is easily confused with SH 121/Sam Rayburn Tollway, a freeway-standard route to DFW Airport.  Signing (to designs that have varied over the years) is provided to instruct airport traffic to stay on southbound US 75.

Quillz:

--- Quote from: J N Winkler on December 02, 2023, 04:40:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: Quillz on December 02, 2023, 02:46:16 PM ---The BGS are fine, they don't bother me. The one point of confusion, though, is since number duplication is allowed, and all the state-level highways use the exact same design, there could potentially be something like "TEXAS 10" alongside "FM 10." Although I suspect the numbers are chosen in such a way there aren't any real conflicts like that.
--- End quote ---

Actually, there is one notorious example where such confusion can occur--FM 121 near Van Alstyne, which is easily confused with SH 121/Sam Rayburn Tollway, a freeway-standard route to DFW Airport.  Signing (to designs that have varied over the years) is provided to instruct airport traffic to stay on southbound US 75.

--- End quote ---
Heh, was just there, didn’t notice. I was on Loop 97.

Great Lakes Roads:
Speed limits are going to be lowered on some Texas highways...

Speed limits will change on the following highways:
S.H. 87 from west Port Arthur to Sabine Pass will change from 65 to 55 mph.
S.H. 347 from U.S. 69 to the Dupont Plant will change from 70 to 65 mph.
U.S. 69 from the U.S. 69 split to S.H. 73 will change from 75 to 70 mph.
I-10 from 9th Street to the Neches River will change from 65 to 55 mph.
I-10 from the Old U.S. 90 Exit to 450 west of the Rose City City limits will change from 75 mph to 70 mph.
U.S. 90 from West Calder to Dowlen Road will change from 50 to 45 mph.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version