News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Strange habits you have

Started by golden eagle, February 10, 2015, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on February 04, 2023, 03:53:28 PM
I wash my hands when coming inside after riding the light rail or bus and touching things.
Due to COVID, a lot of people got into the habit of washing hands when coming home.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on February 16, 2023, 02:00:42 PM
I wash my hands when coming inside after riding the light rail or bus and touching things.
Due to COVID, a lot of people got into the habit of washing hands when coming home.
Even before COVID, I've always been a bit of a clean freak when it comes to my hands. I've always washed my hands after coming home from outside.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

Strange habit: Responding to Souky posts.

interstatefan990

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 01, 2023, 11:38:01 PM
Really? Look at this curve near exit 15A:

Governor Thomas E. Dewey Thruway
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Z1TFqUu4kc48ZM7j6

I've hit this curve at 65-70 mph and you really feel those G forces. Maybe another location I should have my highway patrol and speed cameras. The rest of the thruway can go unlimited for all I care.

Try I-91 on for size. Also 65 in case you were wondering.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

JoePCool14

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 16, 2023, 05:46:27 PM
About the same but narrower. The point is speed limits should be strictly enforced around curves. On that thruway curve I was talking about, the speed limit should be 70 with speeding ticket by mail cameras that trigger once you exceed 73 mph.

Why? The laws of physics already give out tickets for excessive speeding around corners.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

formulanone

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 16, 2023, 05:46:27 PM
About the same but narrower. The point is speed limits should be strictly enforced around curves. On that thruway curve I was talking about, the speed limit should be 70 with speeding ticket by mail cameras that trigger once you exceed 73 mph.

One of the joys of driving is that I can determine my own speed through a corner through personal judgment based on vehicular characteristics, alertness, traffic, and road conditions. It's understandable if not everyone feels the same way.

But I think you have the ideas for a system which seems more like a exaggerated racetrack; everyone can just blast off to 90-120 mph on the straight parts of road and then jam on the brakes for curves and corners. That's well and good if you're the only one on the road, but no two drivers seem to brake at the same time and most everyone has to obey the speed of the vehicle in front of them, and many folks have a terrible concept of keeping distance, let alone performing natural engine braking. I thought like this before I had a license and drove on real roads with other people; too many people have their own ideas of their personal comfort level, and that's a huge reason why the average speed of most roads seem a little slower than we'd like them to be. Theoretically, this could efficiently and safely happen with driverless technology, but I'm not holding by breath on this any time soon.

Anyhow, this is for another thread. We have at least twenty others about speed limits and roads. :)

wanderer2575

Call it anal and OCD, but on a roadtrip I have a specific ritual of turning off/closing things up in the car when we stop at the hotel at the end of the day, and same in reverse when we get rolling again the next day.  Even more anal and OCD when the car will be sitting for an extended time, such as in the parking lot when we vacation on the cruise ship out of Baltimore.  My wife just starts punching buttons and grabbing things, and that drives me nuts.

jakeroot

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 17, 2023, 11:31:10 AM
Call it anal and OCD, but on a roadtrip I have a specific ritual of turning off/closing things up in the car when we stop at the hotel at the end of the day, and same in reverse when we get rolling again the next day.  Even more anal and OCD when the car will be sitting for an extended time, such as in the parking lot when we vacation on the cruise ship out of Baltimore.  My wife just starts punching buttons and grabbing things, and that drives me nuts.

Are you referring to things like the radio, AC, lights, mirrors, etc?

wanderer2575

Quote from: jakeroot on February 19, 2023, 05:48:57 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 17, 2023, 11:31:10 AM

Are you referring to things like the radio, AC, lights, mirrors, etc?

Yep.  Closing up the windows, turning off the climate control, positioning certain items, etc.

Hunty2022

This has probably been mentioned multiple times here, but every single time I am at a rest stop/welcome center, I grab as much maps and books as I can carry. I currently have a basket full from NC, SC, FL and TN.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 20, 2023, 09:43:12 PM
This has probably been mentioned multiple times here, but every single time I am at a rest stop/welcome center, I grab as much maps and books as I can carry. I currently have a basket full from NC, SC, FL and TN.

That is certainly not considered strange here on AARoads.  It is a sign of Roadgeekdom as to how big that basket gets over time (and how old the maps are).

kkt

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 21, 2023, 09:33:11 AM
Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 20, 2023, 09:43:12 PM

Do you have a couple of filing cabinets full of them, organized by state?

That is certainly not considered strange here on AARoads.  It is a sign of Roadgeekdom as to how big that basket gets over time (and how old the maps are).

Hunty2022

Quote from: kkt on November 21, 2023, 11:35:37 AM
Do you have a couple of filing cabinets full of them, organized by state?

Not yet, the basket is actually quite small.

I just took them out to count how much I have.

FL: 6
GA: 4
MD: 4 (mostly from a hotel)
NC: 1
SC: 13
TN: 11
VA: 17 (mostly from a hotel)
TOTAL: 56
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

webny99

It's not exactly a "habit", but I have a tendency to be resistant to wearing coats and other "extra layers" at temperatures when others would consider them necessary, especially between 40-55 degrees. For example, today the sun came out for a change and the temperature was 48 degrees, so I went for a walk on my lunch hour with short sleeves and no coat.  I blame it on my Scandinavian ancestry for humorous effect, but with a degree of seriousness (such as when a passerby commented "you must really like the cold"  :D)

tmoore952

Quote from: formulanone on February 17, 2023, 11:26:16 AM
One of the joys of driving is that I can determine my own speed through a corner through personal judgment based on vehicular characteristics, alertness, traffic, and road conditions. It's understandable if not everyone feels the same way.

Certain curves around my area not good for speeding when it is wet out. They tend to have spinout accidents from people overdriving the conditions. You always hear those locations on the "every-ten-minute" traffic reports.  (I had a near accident on one myself, when I felt my car drifting under me)

When I am approaching said curves in conditions like that, invariably I am ahead of someone who is going too fast for the conditions. I try to let those people pass me pre-curve, if possible.

tmoore952

Quote from: Rothman on February 16, 2023, 02:00:42 PM

Or more often than that. Anytime I put feed myself by hand, I try to wash my hands prior. Gotten colds too many times by being careless that way.

zachary_amaryllis

My mom called me out on this, and I never noticed myself doing this until she mentioned it.

When I drive over railroad tracks, I release the steering wheel for that tenth of a second that I'm actually crossing the tracks.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

CNGL-Leudimin

Exposing myself (i.e. having a maybe too close contact) to little known diseases :sombrero:.

N.b.: There's no risk in doing so when a disease is of genetic origin.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Hobart

I sleep with a body pillow. To some people, that's a strange habit in itself.

What's more bizarre is that I can't always sleep with one; after a couple days, I cannot fall asleep with a body pillow, and have to go to bed with just a blanket and a head pillow for a couple days.

I also tend to use my firm pillows for way longer than their intended lifespan because they're "good enough", and damage any mattress I have over time because I sleep on my side.

Also, as we speak, I'm looking for brass instruments on eBay that I don't need and most likely won't buy... I do it for fun.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

dlsterner

Quote from: Hobart on December 16, 2023, 03:35:02 PM
Also, as we speak, I'm looking for brass instruments on eBay that I don't need and most likely won't buy... I do it for fun.

I'm guilty of that as well :)  Especially some of the lesser known brass instruments.  Would absolutely love to have a cimbasso, but not at their typical price point.

epzik8

Putting on my uniform hat before walking out the door for work, but then taking it off when I walk out of work and before I get home.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Big John

Quote from: epzik8 on December 16, 2023, 04:58:03 PM
Putting on my uniform hat before walking out the door for work, but then taking it off when I walk out of work and before I get home.
So you won't forget about putting it on.

GaryV

I hope your uniform consists of an apron or such. Not a complete wardrobe. Could be embarrassing walking out without much on.

Daniel Fiddler

When driving on the Interstate here in Tennessee, I usually drive between 75 and 85, but I try to be the THIRD or FOURTH fastest car and NEVER the first or second fastest.  Because state troopers in Tennessee sometimes hang out in twos, and I do not wish to be one of their top two.  Other roads besides the Interstate I usually drive within 5 over of, although the Interstate I do speed a bit more on because 70 mph is too damn slow and the speed limit needs to be raised to 75 mph.

Regardless whether I go to bed at 11 pm or at 5 am, I can always wake up at 8 am.  Without fail.  No alarm needed.  My biological clock knows what time 8 am is regardless whether it's daylight savings time or not.  If I need more sleep (I frequently do, especially if I am up past 2 am), I take a nap around mid-afternoon to catch up.

I am prescribed Ativan for my PTSD and Panic Disorder.  I have sometimes when taking my meds swallowed all my other meds but allowed my Ativan to dissolve sublingually under my tongue so it gets in my system faster.

webny99

Quote from: GaryV on December 16, 2023, 06:14:11 PM

I hope your uniform consists of an apron or such. Not a complete wardrobe. Could be embarrassing walking out without much on.

I think you missed the word "hat", which is doing some heavy lifting for the rest of the sentence... LOL!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.