News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 04, 2023, 01:08:17 PM
My best run was 431 miles without getting gas and I still had 2 or 3 gallons left.

This is meaningless without context.  What year, make, and model of car do you drive?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 04, 2023, 01:33:03 PM
15.5 gallon tank.

Difficult to answer questions with the actual information that was requested?

What's your address? Milk.

hotdogPi

There's enough information here already, actually, since he says he typically gets 27.5 MPG. That plus the tank size is a good enough substitute for car specifications.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JayhawkCO

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 04, 2023, 01:40:52 PM
A 4 door Grey colored car that was bought sometime in the 2000s. Manufactured on Earth. I usually don't give personal information online but you guys are cool so...

I mean, to each their own. But if I told you I drive a grey, 2019 Jeep Wrangler, will anything bad happen? What if I specify it's dark grey? You live in a megalopolis of 52 million people. Pretty sure you're not doing any identifying of yourself if you happened to answer 2009 Toyota Corolla or something of that ilk.

hotdogPi

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 04, 2023, 01:45:54 PM
52 million people.

There are 2.9 million Long Islanders outside Queens and Brooklyn. I estimate that 1/100 of them are 23-year-old males. That leaves 29,000. There are probably other things that can narrow it down (e.g. living closer to I-495 than NY 27, not being registered with a political party, etc.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on January 04, 2023, 01:41:02 PM
There's enough information here already, actually, since he says he typically gets 27.5 MPG. That plus the tank size is a good enough substitute for car specifications.

No, it isn't.  A person who usually drives with a lead foot might call "good fuel economy" what the rest of us just call "average".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

I do think twice before I give up year, make, and model.  I don't mind that people know I drive a 1994 Saturn SL2, but if I were driving a new car with a MSRP north of about $25,000, I'd be concerned about coming across as bragging.

It seems to me that in the absence of year, make, and model, it should be possible to have a meaningful discussion simply by citing tank capacity and EPA mileage ratings (including both old and new ratings if the vehicle is old enough to have been manufactured before the EPA recalibrated).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 04, 2023, 02:27:14 PM
It seems to me that in the absence of year, make, and model, it should be possible to have a meaningful discussion simply by citing tank capacity and EPA mileage ratings ...

That's what I was going for.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on January 04, 2023, 01:52:37 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 04, 2023, 01:45:54 PM
52 million people.

There are 2.9 million Long Islanders outside Queens and Brooklyn. I estimate that 1/100 of them are 23-year-old males. That leaves 29,000. There are probably other things that can narrow it down (e.g. living closer to I-495 than NY 27, not being registered with a political party, etc.)

And that would give me 29,000 chances not to give a shit about who a particular poster is. I mean, kphoger has found newspaper/magazine articles about me -- probably had my picture. I'm not too worried about anyone on this board having a crush.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 04, 2023, 02:37:58 PM
I mean, kphoger has found newspaper/magazine articles about me -- probably had my picture. I'm not too worried about anyone on this board having a crush.

To be fair, you did invite me over to your house for boquerones and gin.   How else could I find my way over?  :wave:
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2023, 03:11:43 PM
I mean, kphoger has found newspaper/magazine articles about me -- probably had my picture. I'm not too worried about anyone on this board having a crush.

To be fair, you did invite me over to your house for boquerones and gin.   How else could I find my way over?  :wave:

I mean, both of those things are pretty aromatic.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 04, 2023, 04:04:52 PM

So I should just head over to Meadowood and... what?  I don't own a congener detector.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2023, 04:23:19 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 04, 2023, 04:04:52 PM

So I should just head over to Meadowood and... what?  I don't own a congener detector.

Clearly look for the Jeep I referenced earlier.

kphoger

I guess I could have done that.  Assuming it wasn't in your garage.

Then again, when I was in the area this past summer, I didn't have the free time (or my own vehicle) to pay you a visit.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

For what it's worth, I've posted my actual address on this forum at least twice–yet I'm still waiting for |tolbs17| to send me the check he promised ten months ago.

What are you going to do, sign me up for a health supplement subscription?

Call me old fashioned, I guess.  I grew up being able to just look up anyone's address and phone number in a book that was delivered to your front door for free and updated every year.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2023, 04:58:10 PMFor what it's worth, I've posted my actual address on this forum at least twice–yet I'm still waiting for |tolbs17| to send me the check he promised ten months ago.

What are you going to do, sign me up for a health supplement subscription?

Call me old fashioned, I guess.  I grew up being able to just look up anyone's address and phone number in a book that was delivered to your front door for free and updated every year.

I remember the old White Pages.  I also remember that if you wanted to look up someone in another city, you had to go to the library to pull a phone book or city directory for that town, and people's ages (and family members not residing at the same address) were not printed.  Whitepages.com is more of a data broker; much of the friction inherent in the process of gathering personal information about others that existed as late as the mid-1990's is now gone.  Big Tech has never had the economic incentive, let alone the ethical constraint, to restrict the amount of personal data it hoovers up--often with unpredictable impacts on society at large.

Many people now consider looking up a person's profile on Facebook to be stalking.  I've even had people suggest that going to a Facebook friend's profile (i.e., information you already have access to through the friend relationship) to look up his or her recent posts, rather than simply reading them as they appear in your own feed (or not, as the algorithm decides), is also stalking.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kirbykart

The Illinois Capital Building is underrated. Springfield is a pretty dull city, but the capital building is one of the most amazing buildings I have ever seen!

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kirbykart on January 06, 2023, 09:52:09 AM
The Illinois Capital Building is underrated. Springfield is a pretty dull city, but the capital building is one of the most amazing buildings I have ever seen!

Many of the Texans I know like to think that the capitol in Austin is the tallest of the state capitol buildings, but it isn't. There are five that are taller, including that of Illinois. Also Kansas, for what it's worth.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

MultiMillionMiler

Global Warming. Winter is just too damn cold in the NorthEast.

Max Rockatansky

I love when you makes the jokes for me.  Totally underrated time saver.

kirbykart

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 12:25:24 PM

You sure you're not kernals12?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kirbykart on January 06, 2023, 01:34:09 PM

Unlikely, I've never seen him complaining about tripping on sidewalks.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 01:47:51 PM

I could have missed it, but I don't think I've seen any whining about public transit either.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 06, 2023, 02:01:44 PM

I could have missed it, but I don't think I've seen any whining about public transit either.

Or complaining about how his Dad got run out of the San Francisco Bay Area.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 06, 2023, 02:01:44 PM

I don't have multiple accounts here if that's what he's implying. I prefer driving over mass transit though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.