Towns that aren't referred to as their legal name

Started by index, January 10, 2023, 10:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2023, 01:08:16 AM
Salt Lake City is sometimes referred to "Salt Lake"  on guide signs in both Nevada and Utah.
So, is it officially the City of Salt Lake or the City of Salt Lake City?  Just like it is not the City of New York City but the City of New York.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor,_California
Broadmoor, CA this town is rarely known by it's real name due to the area being close to Daly City , and San Francisco.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Canyon,_California
American Canyon, CA was previously known as Napa Junction but it's sometimes mistakenly identified as Vallejo or Napa given how close it is to those areas.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: amroad17 on January 18, 2023, 01:58:49 AM
Salt Lake City is sometimes referred to "Salt Lake"  on guide signs in both Nevada and Utah.
So, is it officially the City of Salt Lake or the City of Salt Lake City?  Just like it is not the City of New York City but the City of New York.

It is redundantly, and rather sillily if you want my view, officially named the City of Salt Lake City.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

hbelkins

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 22, 2023, 11:51:03 AM

It is redundantly, and rather sillily if you want my view, officially named the City of Salt Lake City.

I used to cringe every time I saw a certain municipalities in Powell County, Ky., referred to as "City of Clay City."

The county seat is governed by a body called the Stanton City Council, so I'm not sure if the governing body of the town five miles to the west should be the Clay City Council or the Clay City City Council.

Of course, since there is an incorporated city named Clay in western Kentucky, it could make things awkward.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Salt Lake City is sometimes referred to “Salt Lake” on guide signs in both Nevada and Utah.

Ditto with Jersey City, NJ.  It’s the City of Jersey City and so might be said of Kansas City both in KS and MO.

New York City is really the City of New York and is called NYC to avoid ambiguity between the state that uses the same exact name with it. Even for the state it’s the State of New York despite being called New York State.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

It doesn't matter. 90% of people outside the region hear "New York"  and assume you mean the city.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 23, 2023, 12:58:06 PM
It doesn't matter. 90% of people outside the region hear "New York"  and assume you mean the city.

Tell that to  NJDOT. They just spent millions to change " New York"  to " New York City"  on freeway guides and small ground mounts along US 22.  To me ( and everyone else in North Jersey) knows that " New York"  means the city and not state.

Sheryl Crowe

Amaury

I don't know if this counts, but in Grant County, Washington, there's a community called Lakeview, Washington; however, to locals and on signs: https://goo.gl/maps/FiUojouKgL9YpBq29
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

roadman65

Winfield, NJ does the same. Winfield Park appears on guide signs. ^^^

Sheryl Crowe

6a

Quote from: catch22 on January 11, 2023, 12:33:35 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 11, 2023, 11:20:12 AM
- Fontana, WI (official name - Fontana On Geneva Lake, WI)

- Los Angeles, CA - (I won't even begin with the city's official name)

Mike

I'll do it.  I remember having to learn (and pronouce) this in Spanish class in high school.

"El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula"
Wildly off topic, but some time ago I ran across a music group called Los Angeles Negros. For a second, I thought whaaaaa...? then it hit me; "oh, Black Angels"  

CtrlAltDel

I'll do it.  I remember having to learn (and pronouce) this in Spanish class in high school.

According to its original charter, the official, if not necessarily historical, name of the city is the City of Los Angeles:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Road Hog

- Fontana, WI (official name - Fontana On Geneva Lake, WI)

Mike

I remember reading that in a late 70s Guinness Book as the longest official name of a city, shortened simply to "LA." Even as a kid, I laughed.

wxfree

It's the City of Salt Lake City, according to the city code.  I don't think that's silly.  No one says "I live in the City of Dallas" or "I live in the Village of Wherever."   People say "I live in Dallas" or "I live in Wherever."  I don't say that I live in the State of Texas.  In the same way, I would introduce myself as "Bob" rather than as "Robert Henry Edward Thurston Howell the Fifty-Second."  Legal names have a certain place, but casual conversation is not that place.

"I live upon a tract of land within the defined boundaries of the body corporate and politic of the legally established municipality hereinafter noted as the City of Bump, within which is placed a bump and, more recently, a stop sign and is located upon Route Five just outside of the similarly established municipality of Raytown."  Is it silly to identify your place of residence in such a way?  Yes, it is.  But would you actually say that to anyone?  The answer is No.

https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/saltlakecityut/latest/saltlakecity_ut/0-0-0-40605
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Rothman

City of Salt Lake City sounds silly to me and right in line with Utahn thinking.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

The City of Oklahoma City is its official name too. In actual practice, "Oklahoma City" refers to the geographical place and "The City of Oklahoma City" is used to explicitly refer to the municipal government when it would otherwise be ambiguous.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GenExpwy

Quote from: Rothman on April 28, 2023, 06:53:42 AM
City of Salt Lake City sounds silly to me and right in line with Utahn thinking.

Is the village of Village of the Branch (Suffolk County) in line with New York thinking?

DTComposer

Paso Robles, CA, officially El Paso de Robles.

Road Hog

Locals in Ellis County, TX call Midlothian "Midlo" and Waxahachie "Hachie."

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 12, 2023, 09:47:28 AM
Angels Camp, California is often referred to by its nickname "Frogtown."

Max probably knows this, but some people on the board may not - the nickname is from Mark Twain's comic short story The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.

ozarkman417

The legal name for the city that happens to be the capital of Missouri is Jefferson. Turns out that's too simplistic, so it's referred to as Jefferson City, or Jeff City.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: roadman65 on January 22, 2023, 11:32:53 PM

Ditto with Jersey City, NJ.  It's the City of Jersey City and so might be said of Kansas City both in KS and MO.

New York City is really the City of New York and is called NYC to avoid ambiguity between the state that uses the same exact name with it. Even for the state it's the State of New York despite being called New York State.

The most extreme version of this I know of is Orange, NJ, which is legally known as the City of Orange Township.

I believe it was originally a city but due to some federal funding quirk it was more advantageous to change to the Township form, creating the ridiculous name.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on April 30, 2023, 10:59:47 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 22, 2023, 11:32:53 PM

Ditto with Jersey City, NJ.  It's the City of Jersey City and so might be said of Kansas City both in KS and MO.

New York City is really the City of New York and is called NYC to avoid ambiguity between the state that uses the same exact name with it. Even for the state it's the State of New York despite being called New York State.

The most extreme version of this I know of is Orange, NJ, which is legally known as the City of Orange Township.

I believe it was originally a city but due to some federal funding quirk it was more advantageous to change to the Township form, creating the ridiculous name.

Many NJ municipalities begin with "Township/Borough/City/Town/Village of... "

jlam

Central City, Colorado is legally the City of Central, but the former is used everywhere I've seen.

roadman65

In NJ most town border signs were changed to present day Township, City, etc of name instead of name and then municipality.  For example previous signs on US 1 would say Entering Edison Township, but now says Entering Twp. Of Edison.  Even on I-78 entering Newark used to say Entering Newark which now states Entering City of Newark.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.