News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

States where people have a high affinity or pride for the counties they live in

Started by KCRoadFan, February 13, 2023, 10:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

The only exception to my county pride comments is maybe Berkshire County.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

I've never heard any pride for counties in MN. There's far more pride in unincorporated townships, where people living in those largely resist and resent being targeted for annexation by incorporated cities.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Dirt Roads

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 14, 2023, 10:03:42 AM
I will add one county that somewhat cares is Duval County, FL where Jaguars fans have adopted "DUUUU-VAAAAAAL" as a rallying cry. When I briefly lived there, I didn't sense that much county pride though.

I wonder if that is a throwback.  The Greaseman used to cough up his famous line "Duuuu-vaaaal Cown-tee Bigg Thang" every morning on WAPE in Jacksonville.   

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 14, 2023, 04:19:25 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 14, 2023, 10:03:42 AM
I will add one county that somewhat cares is Duval County, FL where Jaguars fans have adopted "DUUUU-VAAAAAAL" as a rallying cry. When I briefly lived there, I didn't sense that much county pride though.

I wonder if that is a throwback.  The Greaseman used to cough up his famous line "Duuuu-vaaaal Cown-tee Bigg Thang" every morning on WAPE in Jacksonville.
Duval county is basically the same as Jacksonville. And "Jacksonville" doesn't roll off the tounge quite as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Dirt Roads

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 14, 2023, 10:33:16 AM
Yeah, I haven't seen much county pride in Virginia, which is a stark contrast to Prince George's County and Montgomery County in Maryland.

Quote from: hbelkins on February 14, 2023, 11:56:30 AM
I think it's more pronounced in the southwestern part of the state.

But northwest and southwest of Richmond, there are a bunch of locales with strong county pride and they all seem to have county seats with the same names (some still called "Court House" instead of being incorporated):  Powhatan County, Goochland County, Louisa County, Orange County, Cumberland County, Buckingham County, Amelia County, Appomattox County and Charlotte County.  There are two more contiguous to there where the term strong county pride really seems to fit:  Page County and little tiny Greene County. 

There's also a strong affinity for Chesterfield County, particularly in the northern part of the county.  So much so that the Postal Service has flipped the zip codes from "Bon Air" and "Richmond" to the regional descriptor "North Chesterfield".

Kind of on the line here was the other one that I used live in:  Clarke County.  The affinity was strong enough that perhaps half of the folks living in the county seat (Berryville) would usually claim to be from Clarke County instead of the town name.  On the other hand, you had most of the folks in Millwood and little-known Pine Grove that preferred to use their placenames.

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2023, 03:37:21 PM
Having grown up in MA, I find comments like these to be very naive, espcially after saying that MA has no county pride whatsoever.

In Western MA, Berkshire and Hampshire Counties in particular hold weight amongst their residents.  Hamden and Franklin County residents are certainly aware of which counties they live in, but their "pride" is less so, from my perception.  Of course, locals have a special place in their hearts for simply "Pioneer Valley."

I think I have heard more references to Worcester County in more recent years, actually, usually from my friends who used to just say they were from Worcester or Auburn or wherever.  Worcester County's poor reputation has generated a self-depreciating sense of humor.

Instead of making ignorant comments about the rest of MA, I will simply say that I don't have a firm grasp on how locals view the Eastern MA counties...other than Cape Codders preferring Upper, Mid and Lower Cape to Barnstable County.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tdindy88

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 14, 2023, 10:56:44 AM
In Indiana, vehicle license plates used to begin with a one or two-digit county identifier, numbered alphabetically from 1 to 92, with 93-99 being auxiliary numbers for the two most populous counties, Marion and Lake. As a result, people tended to identify more with their counties.

As specialty plates, which didn't use the county numbers, became more prevalent, and the state figured out that they could save money by not producing a new plate for people every time they moved to a different county, that numbering system went away. It's been gone for a generation now, and I hear people identifying with their county much less frequently.

The numbers are still in use, only in the lower right corner of the license plate, and that's all license plates in the state. I kind of wish people used the numbers for pride and stuff but there isn't too much of that.

Back to the question in hand, I suppose Northwest Indiana has a high pride in itself, calling themselves The Region. But I don't hear too much reference to actual Lake County itself, given that the Region usually spans into Porter and LaPorte Counties.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on February 14, 2023, 04:38:46 PM
Having grown up in MA, I find comments like these to be very naive, espcially after saying that MA has no county pride whatsoever.

In Western MA, Berkshire and Hampshire Counties in particular hold weight amongst their residents.  Hamden and Franklin County residents are certainly aware of which counties they live in, but their "pride" is less so, from my perception.  Of course, locals have a special place in their hearts for simply "Pioneer Valley."

I think I have heard more references to Worcester County in more recent years, actually, usually from my friends who used to just say they were from Worcester or Auburn or wherever.  Worcester County's poor reputation has generated a self-depreciating sense of humor.

Instead of making ignorant comments about the rest of MA, I will simply say that I don't have a firm grasp on how locals view the Eastern MA counties...other than Cape Codders preferring Upper, Mid and Lower Cape to Barnstable County.
I think that Western Mass could be an exception to the rule. I mentioned Berkshire, The Pioneer Valley seems to be their own unifying region. I was more mainly talking about Eastern Mass. Needham is in Norfolk, Newton is in Middlesex, nobody cares. Anything east of Worcester counties make no sense and county pride in non existent.

Bruce

Some areas of Western Washington do, some don't.

King County is a pretty major exception due to its size; people do take regional pride, so Seattleites (down to their neighborhood) will have rivalries with Eastsiders or Southsiders (which bleeds into a "253" identity shared with Tacoma). Kitsap and Snohomish counties are definitely their own identities, as are the San Juan Islands due to their relative isolation. Island County is split, as Camano Island shares more with Stanwood than it does with Whidbey Island.

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2023, 04:56:31 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 14, 2023, 04:38:46 PM

I think that Western Mass could be an exception to the rule. I mentioned Berkshire, The Pioneer Valley seems to be their own unifying region. I was more mainly talking about Eastern Mass. Needham is in Norfolk, Newton is in Middlesex, nobody cares. Anything east of Worcester counties make no sense and county pride in non existent.
I do wonder if Hampshire County residents take pride in their county because it separates themselves from Springfield and Holyoke..

The Lion King meme was used with Springfield as the elephant graveyard...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

In CT, only Fairfield and Litchfield County tend to have any kind of county pride, although most of Fairfield County might as well be part of Westchester County, NY.  County pride ceases to exist at the Housatonic River, and any pride tends to be based more on regions such as The (Naugatuck) Valley, the Hartford Area, The Quiet Corner, etc. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

DandyDan

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 14, 2023, 10:56:44 AM
In Indiana, vehicle license plates used to begin with a one or two-digit county identifier, numbered alphabetically from 1 to 92, with 93-99 being auxiliary numbers for the two most populous counties, Marion and Lake. As a result, people tended to identify more with their counties.

As specialty plates, which didn't use the county numbers, became more prevalent, and the state figured out that they could save money by not producing a new plate for people every time they moved to a different county, that numbering system went away. It's been gone for a generation now, and I hear people identifying with their county much less frequently.
Nebraska still has a county numbering system and many of those in the highest numbered counties take pride in living in those counties.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

kurumi

Wyoming license plates have included a county number since 1930: "a number which was determined by the "worth" (assessed property value) of an area, not population, as many believe."

Jackson is the county seat of Teton County, number 22 (out of 23; second to last) in 1930. Times have changed. Now, it's the wealthiest county in not just Wyoming, but the United States. There's some "22 pride" we saw in the area, including the "22 Home" furnishing/lifestyle store, with such necessities as the Bohemian Blueberry Pie Pillow (decorative; $975.00).
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

zzcarp

It's interesting in Colorado. In the front range I've heard many people being proud of living in Douglas County (DougCo), El Paso County, and Weld County. Boulder County seems to have its own version of pride as well.

I'd say the rural parts of Jefferson County have their own version as well, but not in the front range suburbs. I live in JeffCo but since my city Westminster spans two counties, there's a lot more affinity for the city as a whole than the county.
So many miles and so many roads

Sctvhound

Yeah West Virginia is extremely prideful about their 55 counties. Probably first or second in the country.

Whenever anybody does something good. Like the Mountaineer Mascot (the student at WVU which gets to fire the rifle) for a particular year. Wouldn't mean much in most other places but in WV it's like royalty.

They get feted and whenever they are from some rural county (which is most of them) they literally get the key to the state for the year.

Nothing like that in SC.

SM-G998U

gonealookin

I'm not sure there's a lot of "county pride" in Nevada but there's definitely antipathy for one.  I often see bumper stickers reading "Clark County is NOT the Real Nevada".  That's a mix of the glitzy Las Vegas ambience and politics (Clark County votes heavily Democratic, Washoe is about even and every other county is heavily Republican).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: gonealookin on February 15, 2023, 02:13:22 PM
I'm not sure there's a lot of "county pride" in Nevada but there's definitely antipathy for one.  I often see bumper stickers reading "Clark County is NOT the Real Nevada".  That's a mix of the glitzy Las Vegas ambience and politics (Clark County votes heavily Democratic, Washoe is about even and every other county is heavily Republican).
Clark County is like 3/4 of Nevada's population. Clark County IS Nevada. Nevada is Clark County, a bit of population near Reno/Carson City, and basically nothing.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 15, 2023, 02:46:28 PM
Clark County is like 3/4 of Nevada's population. Clark County IS Nevada. Nevada is Clark County, a bit of population near Reno/Carson City, and basically nothing.

It's common in a lot of politically contentious states where a single major metro heavily influences the state's political direction that disgruntled rural residents often with very opposing views of most major city residents claim the major city is not "the real ____________".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 15, 2023, 02:48:28 PM

It's common in a lot of politically contentious states where a single major metro heavily influences the state's political direction that disgruntled rural residents often with very opposing views of most major city residents claim the major city is not "the real ____________".
:-D Silly. I mean I get it, but those cities have power for a reason: lots of people live there. If Rural Nevada wants more political power, convince more people to move to Elko or Ely.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 15, 2023, 02:55:40 PM

:-D Silly. I mean I get it, but those cities have power for a reason: lots of people live there. If Rural Nevada wants more political power, convince more people to move to Elko or Ely.

Well, that will never happen because people don't want to live in Elko or Ely, but even if it did, it would be unlikely to change the political dynamics. Someone moving to one of those cities instead of Las Vegas isn't going to change their vote. It's really just a form of denial that one county/city/metro area controls what happens statewide, which is unfortunately the case in a lot of states. It's the same thing in New York, except that "NYC isn't the real NY" doesn't land quite as well.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on February 15, 2023, 03:11:10 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 15, 2023, 02:55:40 PM

Well, that will never happen because people don't want to live in Elko or Ely, but even if it did, it would be unlikely to change the political dynamics. Someone moving to one of those cities instead of Las Vegas isn't going to change their vote. It's really just a form of denial that one county/city/metro area controls what happens statewide, which is unfortunately the case in a lot of states. It's the same thing in New York, except that "NYC isn't the real NY" doesn't land quite as well.
Well states like New York or Illinois are more understandable since a higher porportion of the population lives in Downstate IL or Upstate NY than in Chicago or NYC. And people in Nashville or St. Louis don't do the same thing to the rural parts of their state (unless they do and I just haven't heard of it).

webny99

Nevada also became that way fairly recently. It was much more proportional just a few decades ago than it is now.

Missouri and Tennessee do not have the same dynamic IMO, because they have several large cities/metro areas and not one dominant one.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on February 15, 2023, 03:20:45 PM
Nevada also became that way fairly recently. It was much more proportional just a few decades ago than it is now.

Missouri and Tennessee do not have the same dynamic IMO, because they have several large cities/metro areas and not one dominant one.
I'm more talking about how the vast rural areas of those 2 states dominate the politics. I guess you can combine St. Louis and KC into "urban Missouri".

roadman65

In Florida we do have regards to counties.

In my former state of NJ we didn't have as municipalities prevailed. Even on highway signs County lines were not marked, though municipal boundaries are.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

index

After the standoff in Watauga County in which left two deputies dead, a lot of locals could be spotted with "#WataugaStrong" stickers and other merchandise on their cars. Still see quite a bit of it to this day. Plenty of locals sport stickers for the only high school in the county as well. I guess in a county that is so chock-full of different types of outsiders, locals have to find some way to stand out amongst the crowd.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.