News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Place names you got wrong

Started by Poiponen13, March 05, 2023, 03:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on March 07, 2023, 08:37:07 AM
The Soo Locks are there also.
Correct. They were built to bypass the rapids.

roadman65

I've taken the boat tour and rode through them. Nice cruise I must say.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on March 07, 2023, 08:15:34 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 07, 2023, 04:56:03 AM
Literally any French name in the US is butchered beyond belief.
Then there is the two ways Lafayette is spelled. La Fayette and Lafayette.

Don't ask me how to pronounce Opelousas, LA that I'm sure to butcher that one.
LaFayette, NY...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kirbykart

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 07, 2023, 08:28:18 AM
Quote from: kirbykart on March 07, 2023, 08:06:07 AM
Somehow I thought only the American Sault Ste. Marie was pronounced SOO-saint-muh-REE, and the Canadian one was pronounced "correctly" as SALT-saint-muh-REE.
It's a French word so it's pronounced that way. It means Rapids of the St. Mary's. Actually the word Sault is pronounced SO in French, the American way pronounces it SU.

Yeah I know, I thought this a few years ago.

JayhawkCO

I just learned within the last five years that the country of Kiribati is not pronounced "KEE-ri-BAH-tee" but rather "KEE-ri-boss".

jlam

When I was young (around 3 or 4), I thought Toronto was spelled like "TorNOto," pronouncing it like such. I suppose that's better than most toddlers, but I kept that inaccuracy until I was about 6, when I got around to looking at a map of Canada.

A lame example, but that's the only one I can think of right now.

LilianaUwU

Another one people get wrong is Worcester, MA. People call it Wooster for some reason.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

hotdogPi

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 07, 2023, 01:04:40 PM
Another one people get wrong is Worcester, MA. People call it Wooster for some reason.

On a more serious note, Wooster OH is pronounced identically to Worcester MA if you ignore local accent, but some will incorrectly pronounce the former as if it rhymed with "rooster" rather than having "oo" as in "foot".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Control City Freak said "Wester". That might be the worse one yet.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jmacswimmer

I used to get "War-chester" a lot from people back home who knew I went to WPI.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MATraveler128

People also usually mix up Leicester. They pronounce it as "Lee - Chester"  however, it's pronounced like Lester.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 07, 2023, 01:47:17 PM
People also usually mix up Leicester. They pronounce it as "Lee - Chester"  however, it's pronounced like Lester.
Just found that out today apparently. But let's be honest in metro Boston probably about 5% of people have heard of Leicester.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 07, 2023, 01:28:08 PM

Pardon me for having to be the idiot then, but what is it? War-stir?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 07, 2023, 02:50:32 PM

"Wooster" or "Wuster" basically

GaryV

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 07, 2023, 02:53:52 PM

Both of those spellings could be pronounced in more than one way. (And Liliana above said Wooster is wrong.)

Is the first vowel sound oo as in good or as in soon?
Or is it u as in fun or as in fuse?

kirbykart

Quote from: GaryV on March 07, 2023, 04:03:59 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 07, 2023, 02:53:52 PM

Both of those spellings could be pronounced in more than one way. (And Liliana above said Wooster is wrong.)

Is the first vowel sound oo as in good or as in soon?
Or is it u as in fun or as in fuse?

It was a joke. It is "oo" as in "good".

US 89

Quote from: flan on March 05, 2023, 09:20:34 PM
As a young kid I thought the "Too-sahn"  in Arizona I kept hearing about was a different city from "Tucson"  on the map.

I was similar - I thought it was people mispronouncing Tusayan, which I had stayed in on a trip to the Grand Canyon.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on March 07, 2023, 08:21:13 PM
Quote from: flan on March 05, 2023, 09:20:34 PM
As a young kid I thought the "Too-sahn"  in Arizona I kept hearing about was a different city from "Tucson"  on the map.

I was similar - I thought it was people mispronouncing Tusayan, which I had stayed in on a trip to the Grand Canyon.

I was even worse. Until recently, I thought it was Tuscon (tuss-can), sort of like Aldi's Tuscan Garden brand of dressings etc.

roadman65

The County in South Jersey as a youngster I would say Gloucester as Gl-ow sester until I learned it's Glaw ster.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Quote from: Big John on March 07, 2023, 08:33:02 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 07, 2023, 08:28:18 AM
Quote from: kirbykart on March 07, 2023, 08:06:07 AM
Somehow I thought only the American Sault Ste. Marie was pronounced SOO-saint-muh-REE, and the Canadian one was pronounced "correctly" as SALT-saint-muh-REE.
It's a French word so it's pronounced that way. It means Rapids of the St. Mary's. Actually the word Sault is pronounced SO in French, the American way pronounces it SU.
There was a railroad based there called the Soo Line.
I used to believe that both Sault Ste. Maries (in both the US and Canada) were pronounced "salt".

Quote from: jlam on March 07, 2023, 01:03:28 PM
When I was young (around 3 or 4), I thought Toronto was spelled like "TorNOto," pronouncing it like such. I suppose that's better than most toddlers, but I kept that inaccuracy until I was about 6, when I got around to looking at a map of Canada.

A lame example, but that's the only one I can think of right now.
Funny, I wondered why a certain front-wheel-drive luxury car was named after the city, and so I referred to it as such until I learned some Canadian geography in elementary school.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

I used to think there was a city in northern Colombia called Cartageña, because people say it wrong.

(see also:  habañero, empañada.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

When I was little, my mom was talking about Denver, and I said "Isn't there one near here?" I was thinking of Danvers, MA.

At one point (also very little), I was also trying to list states, and India (rather than Indiana) was on the list.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Also, I've finally come to learn that, yes, both ways of pronouncing Qatar are correct (or at least equally close to being correct), and that people need to just get over themselves when they insist half the people are wrong.  Not everyone who lives there even pronounces it exactly the same way...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2023, 09:58:33 AM
Also, I've finally come to learn that, yes, both ways of pronouncing Qatar are correct (or at least equally close to being correct), and that people need to just get over themselves when they insist half the people are wrong.  Not everyone who lives there even pronounces it exactly the same way...

Both ways? I've heard probably five or six ways:
kuh-TAHR
CAT-tahr
cat-TAHR
KUH-turr
QUH-turr (where 'q' is like 'k' but uvular vs. velar, a.k.a. farther back in the mouth)

or properly, as it's pronounced in Arabic, QUH-Tur (where the 'capital T' is a guttural t, a.k.a kind of swallowed into the throat).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.