Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

M-53 orphan freeway gap

<< < (2/4) > >>

Hellfighter:

--- Quote from: Terry Shea on March 10, 2009, 06:21:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: njroadhorse on March 10, 2009, 10:50:04 AM ---Hopefully they do, the gap just looks stupid IMO

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I remember when they were digging the trench to extend the M 59 freeway.  I thought they were going to extend the freeway clear to I-94.  What a stupid place to stop it!  It seems like more traffic gets backed up now than before, and it seems like a total waste to have extended the freeway at all if they were just going to leave it at that point, especially since the Silverdome is no longer in use.  I don't believe there are any plans to extend it further though.

--- End quote ---

I believe they wanted to extend the M-59 freeway through Downtown Pontiac, but it got caught in the freeway revolts of the 70's. As for the Macomb County Portion, they may just have to turn it into a freeway, with the amount of traffic that they have.

Terry Shea:

--- Quote from: Hellfighter06 on March 11, 2009, 04:09:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: Terry Shea on March 10, 2009, 06:21:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: njroadhorse on March 10, 2009, 10:50:04 AM ---Hopefully they do, the gap just looks stupid IMO

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I remember when they were digging the trench to extend the M 59 freeway.  I thought they were going to extend the freeway clear to I-94.  What a stupid place to stop it!  It seems like more traffic gets backed up now than before, and it seems like a total waste to have extended the freeway at all if they were just going to leave it at that point, especially since the Silverdome is no longer in use.  I don't believe there are any plans to extend it further though.

--- End quote ---

I believe they wanted to extend the M-59 freeway through Downtown Pontiac, but it got caught in the freeway revolts of the 70's. As for the Macomb County Portion, they may just have to turn it into a freeway, with the amount of traffic that they have.

--- End quote ---
Well it seems like that's what they should have done, but instead they simply upgraded M-59 to a divided highway from Utica to I-94, and spent a ton of money in doing so.  So I don't think they're about to go back and redo it, at least not in our lifetimes.

Hellfighter:
Maybe MDOT should turn Mound Road into a freeway anyway.

Terry Shea:

--- Quote from: Hellfighter06 on March 11, 2009, 06:56:58 PM ---Maybe MDOT should turn Mound Road into a freeway anyway.

--- End quote ---
Well it would be nice if MDOT would complete all the freeways that were once planned, but it now appears that few if any freeways will ever be completed in Michigan.

Hellfighter:
Wonder how Texas finishes all of theirs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version