National Boards > Bridges

Bridge article from Yahoo

(1/1)

FLRoads:
The Yahoo travel section today posted this article on ten record-breaking bridges from around the world. One of the more interesting bridges is the Millau Viaduct in south France which is comprised of seven cable-stayed deck sections with its highest peak at 1,125 feet. And I never knew that the Sydney Harbour Bridge is the widest bridge (at 160 feet across) with eight lanes of traffic, two train tracks, a pedestrian and bike path to boot.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-40871893

Duke87:
Walkway on the Hudson is the world's longest footbridge? Really? I would not have guessed that.

Then again, I suppose nobody would build a bridge that long specifically as just a pedestrian bridge, and while rails to trails are popular, abandonment of a rail trestle of that scale is probably not too common.

SteveG1988:
I forget where i read this, but the bayonne bridge was built slightly longer than the sydney harbour bridge just to be the longest in the world at the time.

Beltway:

--- Quote from: flaroads on November 21, 2011, 10:17:21 PM ---The Yahoo travel section today posted this article on ten record-breaking bridges from around the world. One of the more interesting bridges is the Millau Viaduct in south France which is comprised of seven cable-stayed deck sections with its highest peak at 1,125 feet. And I never knew that the Sydney Harbour Bridge is the widest bridge (at 160 feet across) with eight lanes of traffic, two train tracks, a pedestrian and bike path to boot.

--- End quote ---
Single bridge?

The twin-span Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I-95/I-495 MD/VA) is 224 feet wide.  12 lanes and shoulders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version