News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Metro Area Freeway Networks

Started by Alex, January 21, 2009, 11:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Huntsville, AL has a pretty undersized freeway network, and highway network in general. Which is kind of a shame as the city is set to be the state's largest city within a decade or two.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

MisterSG1

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 22, 2018, 10:54:02 PM
Huntsville, AL has a pretty undersized freeway network, and highway network in general. Which is kind of a shame as the city is set to be the state's largest city within a decade or two.

Huntsville may become the largest city, but it's all semantics on legislation on the size of the city. It makes it sound like that Huntsville will be the size of Birmingham in two decades, I can't see that being possible. Birmingham has around 1.1 million while Huntsville has 450,000.

That being said, Huntsville can become the largest city in Alabama but it's as I said in semantics. Just as Jacksonville is the 12th Largest City in the United States......don't believe me, look it up.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 22, 2018, 11:11:21 PM

Huntsville may become the largest city, but it's all semantics on legislation on the size of the city. It makes it sound like that Huntsville will be the size of Birmingham in two decades, I can't see that being possible. Birmingham has around 1.1 million while Huntsville has 450,000.

That being said, Huntsville can become the largest city in Alabama but it's as I said in semantics. Just as Jacksonville is the 12th Largest City in the United States......don't believe me, look it up.
That's true, but still, my point still stands of the city have very few highway connections (or much of a freeway network).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

MisterSG1

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 22, 2018, 11:27:54 PM
Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 22, 2018, 11:11:21 PM

That's true, but still, my point still stands of the city have very few highway connections (or much of a freeway network).

I don't know much about Huntsville's road system, appears to be two freeways, but it looks like a beltway can be constructed if need be. I only opined on this Alabama issue because I have a good friend who lives in East Alabama.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: mrpablue on February 22, 2018, 06:01:28 PM
You can't drive through San Francisco, the densest major city in Western US, by freeway. That sucks.

What is up with people reviving 9 year old threads?

That being said: Portland metro has 8.5 freeways (US 30 is a glorified exit ramp IMO) and 2 expressways (OR 99E and OR 224) for a metro of 2.5 million give or take. No upgrades except auxillery lanes (except the 3 miles of I 205 around 2007, and slow upgrades to US 26) since the 1990s. 2 of those freeways are in Washington exclusively and 2 more are in both states leaving 4.5 freeways (and 2 expressways) in Oregon.

In comparision, Eugene with a 350k metro population has 4 freeways and an expressway. Happens to also be in Oregon.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.