Bridges in most need of repair/replacement

Started by ajlynch91, January 16, 2015, 09:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajlynch91

I'm not a civil engineer, so this bridge may very well be structurally sound, although it certainly doesn't look like it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4694+S+Archer+Ave,+Chicago,+Illinois,+United+States&hl=en&ll=41.808074,-87.714072&spn=0.000368,0.000791&sll=41.808074,-87.714072&sspn=0.00037,0.001047&t=h&dirflg=h&hnear=4694+S+Archer+Ave,+Chicago,+Illinois+60632&z=21&layer=c&cbll=41.807994,-87.714042&panoid=UgcdAZ-xns113k9XGYpxqw&cbp=12,29.19,,0,-2.21

There's exposed rebar and damage from trucks hitting it on more than one occasion it seems, and on top of that it carries freight traffic from the BNSF yard that's just north of here. That's a lot of weight to constantly bear 24/7. Look anywhere in Chicago and you'll find plenty of examples similar to this one. I feel like one day over a hundred degrees could lead to bridge failure, which happened on a Union Pacific bridge in Northbrook a couple years ago.

What are some examples of other bridges around you than obviously need repair?

roadman65

Most of New Jersey has bridges that need one or the two. Heck it took years, but finally NJDOT got their funding to redo the entire NJ 72 Causeway to Long Beach Island that has been in really bad shape for a long time.

Also the Elizabeth River Viaduct in Elizabeth along US 1 & 9 was replaced long after the bridge was deemed bad as well as the bridge over NJ 35 several miles to the south of it. 

The funding is not there that there is a waiting list for bridges just to be repaired or replaced.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

OCGuy81

The I-5 Interstate Bridge between Oregon and Washington!

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Maryland's I-895 just north of the north portal of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel.

There is a bridge about 0.6 miles long (informally called the Canton Viaduct) that is in bad shape, though MdTA is planning to start a total replacement in 2016 (I think).  A to B here.  Details in the Baltimore Sun here.

It is the only structurally deficient bridge on the state's toll-maintained network. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

Just about every New York bridge built between 1940 and 1990 that hasn't had a major rehab recently falls here, but I'll list a few particularly bad cases. NYSDOT has been pretty good about heavy bridge maintenance and reconstruction in recent years, so many of the particularly bad cases either no longer exist or have a replacement scheduled for the near future.

-US 9 over I-87 in Moreau (Exit 17) - only one I can think of in R1 that rivals Exit 4 (most of their well-traveled bridges are newer)
-US 20 over Tonawanda Creek, both US 20 and NY 19 over Oatka Creek (3 pony trusses of similar vintage)
-Everything on I-290 save the WT (recently rebuilt) and Exit 4 (relatively new)
-Everything on NY 198 that hasn't been rebuilt
-Thruway between Exits 48A and 55 (rebuilds in long-term plans)
-Tappan Zee Bridge (no shit, Sherlock)
-Almost everything under Erie County control
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Billy F 1988

Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dfwmapper

I-35E over the Trinity River on the south side of downtown Dallas has joints large enough to let daylight through, and the deck is in terrible shape. It's in the process of being completely replaced. The US 377 bridge over the Red River on the Texas/Oklahoma border is in pretty bad shape too.

roadman65

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 16, 2015, 10:32:16 PM
Any bridge under CalTrans ownership.
That is because California is living on credit.  They are bankrupt and have no money to spend up front. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Billy F 1988

Quote from: roadman65 on January 17, 2015, 11:52:55 AM
That is because California is living on credit.  They are bankrupt and have no money to spend up front.
So, they'll just let them crumple to death when the next big quake happens?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

myosh_tino

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 17, 2015, 01:35:16 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 17, 2015, 11:52:55 AM
So, they'll just let them crumple to death when the next big quake happens?

Excuse me guys but I take issue with both of your comments.  After the Loma Prieta quake in 1989 and the Northridge quake in 1994, Caltrans retrofitted thousands of overpasses and bridges statewide.  They even replaced the east span of the Bay Bridge because it was deemed too costly to retrofit (although the two Brown's jacked the cost sky-high but that's another story).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Billy F 1988

Excuse me for having insulted your self intelligence.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 19, 2015, 01:26:40 AM
Excuse me for having insulted your self intelligence.

So what are you trying to say?  :-|

I'm simply pointing out that the majority of our bridges are NOT in need of replacement as you have insinuated.  Is Caltrans lacking when it comes to pavement quality?  Sure but because we're in earthquake country, we do pay more attention to our overpasses and bridges.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

silverback1065

Quote from: ajlynch91 on January 16, 2015, 09:32:24 AM
I'm not a civil engineer, so this bridge may very well be structurally sound, although it certainly doesn't look like it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4694+S+Archer+Ave,+Chicago,+Illinois,+United+States&hl=en&ll=41.808074,-87.714072&spn=0.000368,0.000791&sll=41.808074,-87.714072&sspn=0.00037,0.001047&t=h&dirflg=h&hnear=4694+S+Archer+Ave,+Chicago,+Illinois+60632&z=21&layer=c&cbll=41.807994,-87.714042&panoid=UgcdAZ-xns113k9XGYpxqw&cbp=12,29.19,,0,-2.21

There's exposed rebar and damage from trucks hitting it on more than one occasion it seems, and on top of that it carries freight traffic from the BNSF yard that's just north of here. That's a lot of weight to constantly bear 24/7. Look anywhere in Chicago and you'll find plenty of examples similar to this one. I feel like one day over a hundred degrees could lead to bridge failure, which happened on a Union Pacific bridge in Northbrook a couple years ago.

What are some examples of other bridges around you than obviously need repair?

That's a rail bridge, I believe that's the responsibility of whoever owns those tracks (usually a company) at least that's usually the case in Indiana, could be different in NJ.  Rail bridges always seem to be in the worst looking shape.  I'm a transportation civil engineer, not a structural civil engineer, but I agree it sure looks like it needs to be replaced or repaired in some way. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.