News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best Map Fails

Started by Alex4897, June 03, 2015, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex4897

So having been accepted to a college already, I decided to go and root through piles of junk mail I've gotten from various colleges over the past year or two (with the intention of throwing most of it out).  However, I came upon this gem sent to me from Stevenson University.  Bask in its glory:

A few things to note:

• LONG LIVE I-50
  • Delaware and New Jersey have been annexed by Maryland
  • I-795 goes to PA apparently
Can anyone top this?
👉😎👉

Zeffy

I also notice I-66 isn't shown in D.C. or Virginia.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

DTComposer

It also appears the retrocession of the District of Columbia to Virginia now includes the entire District, as well as a good portion of the Maryland suburbs.

That said, any number of maps in ads for local businesses can suffer as many errors, and often in a lot less space.

national highway 1

Also, it appears that I-95 passes through Washington DC. This was the original planned route, but now I-95 duplexes with the eastern half of I-495.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

kj3400

Part of Former Delaware appears to have been reclaimed by the ocean.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Alex4897

Quote from: kj3400 on June 03, 2015, 07:29:25 PM
Part of Former Delaware appears to have been reclaimed by the ocean.
Not to mention it looks like the Delaware River cuts across the state to drain into the Chesapeake Bay.
👉😎👉

Bickendan

Apparently I-70 doesn't Breezewood, comes into Maryland around Frederick... then ends before reaching I-695. While irrelevant to what the map is trying to say, I-66, 68, 76 and 270 all disappeared...

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Bickendan on June 03, 2015, 08:05:19 PM
While irrelevant to what the map is trying to say, I-66, 68, 76 and 270 all disappeared...

To be fair, let's focus on the many things that are actual errors.  Omitting highways that don't really serve any purpose in getting to the university is exactly what a map such as this should do.  De-cluttering the map that way is the one thing it does right.

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

noelbotevera

I-83 suddenly became ironed out and is almost as straight as a line.
Washington D.C, you traitor! Be with Maryland!
The Potomac River is now a land bridge.
I-50, the new innovation has become a line graph.
Virginia, did you find a land bridge with Maryland?

Cont.
I-70, I forbid you from running right into Stevenson University!
I-97, turn off your invisibility!
Nice job I-95, you have become State Line Freeway.
I-795, stop running into Pennsylvania and start a big green dot!
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Kacie Jane on June 03, 2015, 08:14:54 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on June 03, 2015, 08:05:19 PM
While irrelevant to what the map is trying to say, I-66, 68, 76 and 270 all disappeared...

To be fair, let's focus on the many things that are actual errors.  Omitting highways that don't really serve any purpose in getting to the university is exactly what a map such as this should do.  De-cluttering the map that way is the one thing it does right.

Thank you.  Not every single highway needs to be shown.  Although you do have to wonder how they put this map together, being that NJ and Delaware are missing completely.

The Nature Boy

I'm assuming that this school has a top notch geography department, no?

kurumi

RandMc once routed Interstate 447 around Peoria (I guess it didn't play there).

The Connecticut Tercentenary Map has about 12 genuine errors (CT 160 == "60", CT 83 == "82" etc.). Terrible map overall.

The first official state map to feature CT 286 got the number wrong.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.