News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Tongue" routes

Started by Alps, July 23, 2015, 10:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

I-495 in Maryland and Virginia?

I-664 in Virginia?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bzakharin

Would I-676 count? It's not so much that it veers too far away from I-76 as I-76 going South then East, while I-676 going East then South, so the distance (as the crow flies) between the northeastern point on 676 and the southwestern point on 76 is 4.52 miles whereas getting from either junction to either point is between 3 and 4 miles. Also the northwestern section of the Baltimore Beltway (I-695) qualifies.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Duke87 on July 24, 2015, 07:57:39 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2015, 02:07:56 PM
Reverse tongue -- KY 1571 in Estill County. Both ends are at KY 52, but in this case KY 52 loops around and KY 1571 is the straighter route.

Like US 101 and Alt US 101 near Ilwaco, WA. The Alt route is half a mile. The "main" route is 6 1/2 miles and passes through two towns.

Taking this on a tangent, but it's particularly hilarious because Alt US 101 still isn't the shortest route through there.  I mean, to cover that half-mile gap, yes.  But if you're driving through from Astoria to Aberdeen, you save 6 miles taking SR 401 and SR 4 over 101 and its "alternate".

peterj920

WIS 100 around Milwaukee

cl94

NY 3A comes close, but it's 3A that cuts the corner. Honestly, very few, if any, non-truck routes in New York make it because the suffixed system was mainly designed as alternate routes serving smaller communities.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

NYhwyfan

Quote from: cl94 on August 11, 2015, 07:40:33 PM
NY 3A comes close, but it's 3A that cuts the corner. Honestly, very few, if any, non-truck routes in New York make it because the suffixed system was mainly designed as alternate routes serving smaller communities.

What about NY 28N? Would that qualify in relation to its length versus the length of NY 28 between NY 28N's endpoints?

cl94

Quote from: NYhwyfan on August 11, 2015, 08:47:17 PM
Quote from: cl94 on August 11, 2015, 07:40:33 PM

What about NY 28N? Would that qualify in relation to its length versus the length of NY 28 between NY 28N's endpoints?

Not quite. Closer than most, but, as the crow flies, the endpoints are about 5 miles further apart than the most distant point.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

mcdonaat

LA 451 - 11 miles out from LA 114 at the furthest point, while the distance between the two junctions is about 2 miles.
LA 603 - goes 6 mi out from US 65, while US 65 is only five miles long in that same span.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.